none
Excel 2010 Crashes

Question

• I have a Windows7 Pro 32Bit brand new Intel i7 notebook with 4GB or RAM that has a fresh load of Office 2010 Pro Plus. All updates have been loaded.

When sorting in Excel we get intermittent crashes. I have disabled all add-ins and tried a repair of Office but am still get the same crash.

The event view application logs output the following error:

Faulting application name: EXCEL.EXE, version: 14.0.4756.1000, time stamp: 0x4b9c08e8

Faulting module name: MSVCR90.dll, version: 9.0.30729.4926, time stamp: 0x4a1743c1

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x0003ab1a

Faulting process id: 0xef8

Faulting application start time: 0x01cb551134f9ed2a

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14\EXCEL.EXE

Faulting module path: C:\Windows\WinSxS\x86_microsoft.vc90.crt_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_9.0.30729.4926_none_508ed732bcbc0e5a\MSVCR90.dll

Report Id: 85fda40a-c104-11df-9318-705ab696e0ba

Any direction would be appreciated!

Wednesday, September 15, 2010 8:36 PM

Answers

• Hi All,

I quickly go through all your threads and it seems the faulty module is different. It can be:

MSVCR90.dll

MSO.dll

EXCEL.EXE

For MSVCR90.dll, it seems to do with Visual Studio and it may be caused by Office customization, in this case, Excel.exe /s can be helpful to narrow down the issue.

For MSO.dll, it seems to do with Office XP/2002, please check if the issue occurred on Office that was upgrade from old Office XP, in this case, repair Office may be helpful.

For issue occurred on the core EXCEL.EXE, I suggest we first make sure all updates were installed (make sure Excel.exe is the latest version); then repair Office and also run Excel safe mode to test the issue.

In addition, I noticed printer driver change/update may solve the issue for some people, we can also use Excel safe mode to narrow down the issue; since in Excel safe mode, printer driver will not load.

For a specific document issue that the crash issue only occur on a few documents, I suggest we submit a Professional case that a dedicated engineer could collect specific file to test on our side and also can use Process monitor to record the whole process when crashing, these steps would be useful to figure out the root cause of crash issue.

If anyone solve this Excel crash issue, we appreciate you can sharing your findings with us, it did help other community members.

Best regards,

Daisy Cao
    Forum Support
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com
    Tuesday, July 05, 2011 9:10 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Here are some options to try....

Running Microsoft Office Diagnostics within Excel

•Click the Microsoft Office button

•Click on the Excel Options button to bring up the Excel Options dialog box

•Click on the Resources button in the left hand pane

•Click on the Diagnose button in the right hand pane

•Click Continue

•Click Run Diagnostics

You may also try to disable the "COM add-in for Excel".

•Click the Microsoft Office Button , click Excel Options, and then click Add-Ins.

•In the Add-ins box, identify the add-in that you want to disable.

•Select the Add-in type in the Manage box and then click Go.

•Clear the check box for the Add-in that you want disable and then click OK.

Also please check this hotfix: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942382

Hope it does help.

Regards,

Harry Yuan

Friday, September 17, 2010 9:29 AM
  • Hey Harry,

The original question was about Office 2010, why is a link to a Office 2007 KB article included in your post?

Wednesday, September 22, 2010 3:21 PM
  • Hi,

Please do not apply the hotfix, just try the steps Harry provided.

Sally Tang

Friday, September 24, 2010 5:37 AM
  • Is anyone still having issues with Excel 2010 and having it crash when you try to sort?  I have a document that was originally done in Excwl 2003 and every time I try to sort in Excel 2010 it crashes.  I can still sort it just fine in Excel 2003, but since we are in the process of moving to Office 2010 I'd like to not have to use Office 2003 any more.

Here are the details:

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name:                        APPCRASH

Application Name:                             EXCEL.EXE

Application Version:                           14.0.4756.1000

Application Timestamp:                     4b9c08e8

Fault Module Name:                          mso.dll

Fault Module Version:                        14.0.5128.5000

Fault Module Timestamp:                  4caf84cd

Exception Code:                                  c0000005

Exception Offset:                                0004d374

OS Version:                                          6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.48

Locale ID:                                             1033

Additional information about the problem:

LCID:                                                     1033

skulcid:                                                 1033

Anyone have an answer?  I've looked at my add-ins and I don't have any selected so it should not be an add-in issue as described above.

Thank you,

Jeremy

Monday, January 24, 2011 4:28 PM
  • I have a pilot group of 25 users that are running XPsp3 with Office 2010 Pro Plus 32bit loaded.  Almost all of my tickets have been Excel spreadsheet specific.

One user has a spreadsheet that was created in 2003 sp3 that crashes on open every time.  The spreadsheet is used daily by a mix of 2003 sp3 and 2007 sp2 users without issue. I tried opening the file On my XP sp3 VM with Excel 2010 (safe mode), and after a bunch of clocking, it indicated the file was corrupt.  Same file on my Win7 VM produced the following info.

Problem signature:
      Problem Event Name:    BEX
      Application Name:    EXCEL.EXE
      Application Version:    14.0.4756.1000
      Application Timestamp:    4b9c08e8
      Fault Module Name:    MSVCR90.dll
      Fault Module Version:    9.0.30729.4926
      Fault Module Timestamp:    4a1743c1
      Exception Offset:    00031dfb
      Exception Code:    c0000417
      Exception Data:    00000000
      OS Version:    6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.4
      Locale ID:    1033

LCID:    1033
      skulcid:    1033

I have been unable to identify a solution.  I know the issue is file specific, but only shows up in Excel 2010.

- Aaron
    Thursday, January 27, 2011 2:44 PM
  • We have been experiencing the same problem.   The user opens an file in Excel 2010, sorts once, then on the 2nd sort Excel crashes.   It's pretty consistent.   Happens predictably on different files, on both local and network drives.   The user does not have any add-ons.

We would like very much to find a solution to this.

Tuesday, February 15, 2011 8:09 PM
  • I have a user that reported this issue to me today.  I even moved the workbook to two other machines and successfully(?) crashed Excel when sorting.  I'm working on repro steps and will post when I've completed them.

Here's the event logged on a Windows 7 x64 machine (Office 2010 is 32bit):

Log Name:   Application
    Source:    Application Error
    Date:     2/17/2011 11:37:22 AM
    Event ID:   1000
    Task Category: (100)
    Level:     Error
    Keywords:   Classic
    User:     N/A
    Computer:   CPERRY-L.SCA.LOCAL
    Description:
    Faulting application name: EXCEL.EXE, version: 14.0.4756.1000, time stamp: 0x4b9c08e8
    Faulting module name: mso.dll, version: 14.0.5128.5000, time stamp: 0x4caf84cd
    Fault offset: 0x0004d374
    Faulting process id: 0x4ac
    Faulting application start time: 0x01cbcec94fb639fc
    Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\EXCEL.EXE
    Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\office14\mso.dll
    Report Id: 92e04b1e-3abc-11e0-bf18-005056c00008
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
     <System>
      <Provider Name="Application Error" />
      <EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>
      <Level>2</Level>
      <Task>100</Task>
      <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
      <TimeCreated SystemTime="2011-02-17T17:37:22.000000000Z" />
      <EventRecordID>2345675</EventRecordID>
      <Channel>Application</Channel>
      <Computer>CPERRY-L.SCA.LOCAL</Computer>
      <Security />
     </System>
     <EventData>
      <Data>EXCEL.EXE</Data>
      <Data>14.0.4756.1000</Data>
      <Data>4b9c08e8</Data>
      <Data>mso.dll</Data>
      <Data>14.0.5128.5000</Data>
      <Data>4caf84cd</Data>
      <Data>c0000005</Data>
      <Data>0004d374</Data>
      <Data>4ac</Data>
      <Data>01cbcec94fb639fc</Data>
      <Data>C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\EXCEL.EXE</Data>
      <Data>C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\office14\mso.dll</Data>
      <Data>92e04b1e-3abc-11e0-bf18-005056c00008</Data>
     </EventData>
    </Event>
    Thursday, February 17, 2011 9:08 PM
  • Hi, I have a customer with exactly the same problem. Windows 7 Pro, 64Bit. Running MS Office Home & Business. Everytime they execute a sort on any column, Excel crashes. They are pretty unimpressed as the sort function is something that they have to use regularly.

I see that this issue was reported months ago, but there's apparently still no fix -  Pretty poor I'd say.

Friday, February 18, 2011 1:19 PM
  • Same thing here. I just upgraded to Office 2010 and spent 5 hours yesterday trying to do something that should have taken 20 minutes. Every sort resulted in a crash. Sadly it was a small spreadsheet, only 10 lines not like it was some massive piece of data. Similar to above Win7Pro-64. 

After what I was experiencing on my desktop I grabbed a new laptop from the closet (I work in a small IT Consulting firm) and unpacked it, fired it up and installed Office 2k10. Experienced exactly the same symptoms with Excel. 

Finally had to get the spreadsheet done and got out my netbook and finished it on Excel 2007.  Excel 2010 is a major turdball!

Thursday, March 03, 2011 5:28 PM
  • Same problem here. Checked with different files on different computers. Double sort crashes Excel 2003 sheet opened in Excel 2010. Need solution ASAP :/

p.

Friday, March 11, 2011 3:37 PM
  •  

We have same problem. After opening of file in Excel 2010, changing orientation of paper to landscape, printing and closing, this error message was shown (sorry, it is in Czech language but meaning is same):

Podpis problému:

Název události problému: APPCRASH

Název aplikace: EXCEL.EXE

Verze aplikace: 14.0.4756.1000

Časové razítko aplikace: 4b9c08e8

Název chybného modulu: mso.dll

Verze chybného modulu: 14.0.5128.5000

Časové razítko chybného modulu: 4caf84cd

Kód výjimky: c0000005

Posun výjimky: 004b5754

Verze operačního systému: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48

ID národního prostředí: 1029

Další informace o problému:

LCID: 1029

skulcid: 1029

Using of Excel in safe mode was without any effect - message was same.

Saturday, March 19, 2011 6:23 PM
  • We are having exactly the same issue.  We generate an Excel file from Great Plains smartlist and it opens in Excel 2010 x64.  When trying to Sort is crashes - pretty consistently.

ANY COMMENTS FROM MICROSOFT ON THIS?????

Robert
    Monday, March 21, 2011 5:28 PM
  • I've had all sorts of problems with Excel 2010, Windows 7 since I got the new notebook from work.  The IT consultants have been no help at all.  I've looked through all sorts of websites to find a solution and I think I can safely say that the answer is there isn't one (for now).

The problem seems to be the printer (HP printers) and yes, a lot of people made sure that it's the latest printer driver but Excel keeps crashing and randomly at that.  It can be while you're doing anything, not just sort (at least that is my experience).

After I read all the posts identifying the printer as the problem, I switched my default printer.  I do not have another printer but I've always used a free pdf software called CutePDF Writer.  After you install this free program, it shows up as a printer.  I assigned it as my default printer and all my Excel problems went away.  That's a lot of problems since 99% of my work is done in Excel and I worked a 90 hour week last week.  I just left my HP printer as is and when I'm done working, files saved, and need to print, I go to the print menu and then choose my HP printer and print.  Make sure you change the printer back to Cute Writer after printing before working in Excel again.

Robert, you want to know about Microsoft's comment?  Well, I don't live in the US but I did call Microsoft Hong Kong  since my computer and software are spanking new, I'm under warranty.  When I called Microsoft to explain the issue to them, they told me that I should call HP since it's HP's printer crashing Excel.  When I told them that it doesn't happen with any other programs, even Microsoft Word, Outlook or Powerpoint, it suggested to me that it's actually a problem with Excel, they told me that I should call HP because it's their problem.  I went as far as asking can you please at least escalate this to somebody in the US because I'm sure the 2 computing giants like Microsoft and HP would want to work something out for users like us, the person just told me to call HP.  My last effort was to tell them that I don't need them to solve my problem, just please let somebody know that there's a problem.  The response was since I've worked out a work around, then I have no problem and if I still see it as a problem, please call HP.  I actually have not called HP.  Maybe I'm just stubborn but to me, it's an Excel problem and it's on Microsoft to solve it.

On the flip side, I know I'm not the most techno-savvy person but I feel quite passionate about this because it has caused me lots of frustration and hours.  I don't have codes or error messages to show but I've experienced all the same and more.  I feel like I'm promoting the CutePDF software (which is free btw) but it's worked wonders for me and I can actually go back to work without worrying losing even minutes of my work.

I hope this helps people out there who are experiencing the same.  Quite honestly, I don't even care when they come out with a solution anymore because I'm too afraid to try and lose more time.

Good luck.

CutePrinter

• Proposed as answer by JJR70 Saturday, November 12, 2011 6:43 PM
    Tuesday, March 22, 2011 10:21 AM
  • I have the same problem. Excel crashes on a sort. Laptop and all software less than 2 weeks old. I tried to change the default printer to Onenote but excel still crashes when I sort. It must be a fault with Excel. I need to sort around 25times a day, and 25 recovered files a day is a real pain and a waste of my time

Tuesday, March 22, 2011 2:26 PM
  • I've had all sorts of problems with Excel 2010, Windows 7 since I got the new notebook from work.  The IT consultants have been no help at all.  I've looked through all sorts of websites to find a solution and I think I can safely say that the answer is there isn't one (for now).

The problem seems to be the printer (HP printers) and yes, a lot of people made sure that it's the latest printer driver but Excel keeps crashing and randomly at that.  It can be while you're doing anything, not just sort (at least that is my experience).

After I read all the posts identifying the printer as the problem, I switched my default printer.  I do not have another printer but I've always used a free pdf software called CutePDF Writer.  After you install this free program, it shows up as a printer.  I assigned it as my default printer and all my Excel problems went away.  That's a lot of problems since 99% of my work is done in Excel and I worked a 90 hour week last week.  I just left my HP printer as is and when I'm done working, files saved, and need to print, I go to the print menu and then choose my HP printer and print.  Make sure you change the printer back to Cute Writer after printing before working in Excel again.

Robert, you want to know about Microsoft's comment?  Well, I don't live in the US but I did call Microsoft Hong Kong  since my computer and software are spanking new, I'm under warranty.  When I called Microsoft to explain the issue to them, they told me that I should call HP since it's HP's printer crashing Excel.  When I told them that it doesn't happen with any other programs, even Microsoft Word, Outlook or Powerpoint, it suggested to me that it's actually a problem with Excel, they told me that I should call HP because it's their problem.  I went as far as asking can you please at least escalate this to somebody in the US because I'm sure the 2 computing giants like Microsoft and HP would want to work something out for users like us, the person just told me to call HP.  My last effort was to tell them that I don't need them to solve my problem, just please let somebody know that there's a problem.  The response was since I've worked out a work around, then I have no problem and if I still see it as a problem, please call HP.  I actually have not called HP.  Maybe I'm just stubborn but to me, it's an Excel problem and it's on Microsoft to solve it.

On the flip side, I know I'm not the most techno-savvy person but I feel quite passionate about this because it has caused me lots of frustration and hours.  I don't have codes or error messages to show but I've experienced all the same and more.  I feel like I'm promoting the CutePDF software (which is free btw) but it's worked wonders for me and I can actually go back to work without worrying losing even minutes of my work.

I hope this helps people out there who are experiencing the same.  Quite honestly, I don't even care when they come out with a solution anymore because I'm too afraid to try and lose more time.

Good luck.

CutePrinter

Can't you answer, 1) What the name (model) of HP printer has caused such problems? 2) Did you have 64-bit excel or 32-bit ?  Thanks in advance.
    Thursday, March 24, 2011 11:23 AM
  • Hi Roman, I have HP Officejet J6480 All-in-One.  I'm using 32-bit.  My Excel 2010 crashed completely randomly until I switched to the Cute Writer as default printer.  I know it's not a solution and I would love to have one but in the mean time, I cannot have Excel not working.  The recent update did not help because yesterday I forgot to switch the printer after I printed and within 30 seconds, it crashed again.  The only thing I was grateful for was that it took only 30 seconds and I didn't lose much work.

If you have a solution, would love to hear it.

CutePrinter

Monday, March 28, 2011 1:08 PM
  • unds like it is an issue with Office 2010 Pro ??  I have the Standard version and do not see this issue, but my colleagure who has the Pro version installed, sees it every day ??

JK
    Friday, April 01, 2011 12:11 PM
  •  Joe8908, I have russian excel 2010 Pro 14.0.5128.5000 (32-bit)  on win 7 32 bit.  Can't reproduce  crashes described. Seemed like problem build is 14.0.4756.1000 ?

• Proposed as answer by TechnoIntegra Friday, April 01, 2011 3:11 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by TechnoIntegra Friday, April 01, 2011 3:11 PM
    Friday, April 01, 2011 1:18 PM
  • Same problem like everyone here: multiples SpreadSheet, and Excel Crash randomly. It's in French but it means the same thing. Im going to try the CutePDF and i'll update this tread if this fix my prob or not.

Nom de l’application défaillante EXCEL.EXE, version : 14.0.4756.1000, horodatage : 0x4b9c08e8
    Nom du module défaillant : MSVCR90.dll, version : 9.0.30729.4940, horodatage : 0x4ca2ef57
    Code d’exception : 0xc0000417
    Décalage d’erreur : 0x000320f0
    ID du processus défaillant : 0x149c
    Heure de début de l’application défaillante : 0x01cbeedc17c90faa
    Chemin d’accès de l’application défaillante : C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14\EXCEL.EXE
    Chemin d’accès du module défaillant: C:\Windows\WinSxS\x86_microsoft.vc90.crt_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_9.0.30729.4940_none_50916076bcb9a742\MSVCR90.dll
    ID de rapport : 64513aa0-5b13-11e0-b57d-6c626db7271f
    EVENT ID:1000

Friday, April 01, 2011 3:08 PM
  •  Joe8908, I have russian excel 2010 Pro 14.0.5128.5000 (32-bit)  on win 7 32 bit.  Can't reproduce  crashes described. Seemed like problem build is 14.0.4756.1000

It might sound silly but, where can I find this build ?
    Friday, April 01, 2011 3:14 PM
  • Monday, April 11, 2011 5:29 AM
  • Hello all - I have a similar error with Excel 2010 (office pro), Windows 7, not arising after sorting, but after running a particular vba macro (which opens and closes a bunch of files), then starting another macro (which opens and closes the same files). The error doesn't (usually) arise if I do the macros in reverse order, but always if i do them in the usual order. I've spent days trying to change things in my code, to no avail. Coincidentally, cutepdfwriter IS my default printer, so changing that isn't going to help, and its strange that that has solved some people's problem. I've disabled the bluetooth add-in.

Anybody found any other hints anywhere? <!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:"Segoe UI"; panose-1:2 11 5 2 4 2 4 2 2 3; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-520084737 -1073683329 41 0 479 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-unhide:no; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; margin:0cm; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman","serif"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-language:EN-GB;} .MsoChpDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; mso-default-props:yes; font-size:10.0pt; mso-ansi-font-size:10.0pt; mso-bidi-font-size:10.0pt;} @page WordSection1 {size:612.0pt 792.0pt; margin:72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt; mso-header-margin:36.0pt; mso-footer-margin:36.0pt; mso-paper-source:0;} div.WordSection1 {page:WordSection1;} -->

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name:                        APPCRASH

Application Name:                             EXCEL.EXE

Application Version:                           14.0.4756.1000

Application Timestamp:                     4b9c08e8

Fault Module Name:                          EXCEL.EXE

Fault Module Version:                        14.0.4756.1000

Fault Module Timestamp:                  4b9c08e8

Exception Code:                                  c0000005

Exception Offset:                                001f4c81

OS Version:                                          6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.48

Locale ID:                                             7177

LCID:                                                     1033

skulcid:                                                 1033

Read our privacy statement online:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:

C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt
    Saturday, May 21, 2011 3:09 PM
  • Hi,

Here are some options to try....

Running Microsoft Office Diagnostics within Excel

•Click the Microsoft Office button

•Click on the Excel Options button to bring up the Excel Options dialog box

•Click on the Resources button in the left hand pane

•Click on the Diagnose button in the right hand pane

•Click Continue

•Click Run Diagnostics

You may also try to disable the "COM add-in for Excel".

•Click the Microsoft Office Button , click Excel Options, and then click Add-Ins.

•In the Add-ins box, identify the add-in that you want to disable.

•Select the Add-in type in the Manage box and then click Go.

•Clear the check box for the Add-in that you want disable and then click OK.

Also please check this hotfix: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942382

Hope it does help.

Regards,

Harry Yuan

I love how this "copy and paste" solution doesn't even apply to Office 2010 and doesn't help any of the stated issues.  If he knew any better, he would know that Office 2010 no longer has the option to run diagnostics, only to run "Repair" from the control panel, which I have done and has not yielded any type of progress or results.  Anyone have any better ideas other than this cookie-cutter BS solution?
    Wednesday, June 08, 2011 4:12 PM
  • Hi,

Try to change the printer and check the files. If it works fine by changing the printer, try to update the printer drivers by contacting the printer manufacturer.

click on the link below to update the printer drivers:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Find-and-install-printer-drivers    

If the above steps fail, you can repair excel 2010 by referring the link below and check if it works fine.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel-help/repair-or-remove-office-2010-HA010357402.aspx   

Sincerely,

Harry

Monday, July 04, 2011 8:10 AM
  • Hi All,

I quickly go through all your threads and it seems the faulty module is different. It can be:

MSVCR90.dll

MSO.dll

EXCEL.EXE

For MSVCR90.dll, it seems to do with Visual Studio and it may be caused by Office customization, in this case, Excel.exe /s can be helpful to narrow down the issue.

For MSO.dll, it seems to do with Office XP/2002, please check if the issue occurred on Office that was upgrade from old Office XP, in this case, repair Office may be helpful.

For issue occurred on the core EXCEL.EXE, I suggest we first make sure all updates were installed (make sure Excel.exe is the latest version); then repair Office and also run Excel safe mode to test the issue.

In addition, I noticed printer driver change/update may solve the issue for some people, we can also use Excel safe mode to narrow down the issue; since in Excel safe mode, printer driver will not load.

For a specific document issue that the crash issue only occur on a few documents, I suggest we submit a Professional case that a dedicated engineer could collect specific file to test on our side and also can use Process monitor to record the whole process when crashing, these steps would be useful to figure out the root cause of crash issue.

If anyone solve this Excel crash issue, we appreciate you can sharing your findings with us, it did help other community members.

Best regards,

Daisy Cao
    Forum Support
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com
    Tuesday, July 05, 2011 9:10 AM
  • Thanks Daisy

Can I then conclude if I run Excel in Safe Mode and it still crashes then it is not to do with printer drivers or visual studio customisation? I am running 14.0.4760.1000 32-bit and my version crashes when trying to autocalculate after a long macro. I say mine but its actually an issue across several computers.

Athos

Tuesday, July 26, 2011 7:47 PM
  • The triggers for the  "Excel Stopped Working.." problem are legion but not always consistent (yes, even in Safe Mode). It is not connected w/ just complex spreadsheets I've had the problem occur w/ simple spreadsheets. I run 32-bit Excel 2010 (Win7) and have tried all possble solutions listed on a multitude of forums about this bug:

--all add-ins disabled

--print driver default to .pdf

--all other applications closed

--happens even while in Safe Mode

--and every other hypothesized solution to theproblem

I've been able to repeat the problem by trying to 'close' the 'document recovery' window after Excel restarts itself (although there are other, less consistent, ways to trigger this error.

I run on a Athlon 64x2D core processor 2.4G w/ 4MB of memory - is it something w/ this processor's interaction w/ Excel?

MS really needs to tackle this if it wants to preserve its Excel franchise (this bug has been bitched about since the beta was released yet MS is not being pro-actively, responsive enough)

Sunday, August 07, 2011 6:49 AM
  • It seems that step one was not set.

It would consist in fixing the Excel settings in the registry at the User Level.

I'd propose to:

1) close all Excel files that were open

2) Press "Windows" and "R" keys, type Regedit and press Enter

3) Open the following hives in this sequence:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER  >> Software  >> Microsoft >> Office >>14.0

4) Inside 14.0 righ-click the Excel hive and rename it to Excel.old

(Next time Excel was started a new Excel hive will be automatically recreated)

5) Close Regedit

6) Open Excel again and see if it's ok now.

Please post the results as a feedback to other users.

Hope it Helps

• Proposed as answer by Christos_Sc Wednesday, November 23, 2011 10:03 PM
    Wednesday, August 10, 2011 10:25 AM
  • did per your instructions and Excel still crashes. Amazed that Microsoft has not done anything with this yet, especailly when so many people are having issues....
    Thursday, August 11, 2011 10:03 PM
  • I'm still on Office 2007 and get what sounds like the same sort crash problem.  Have narrowed the spreadsheet down from 1.3M to 28K, deleting rows, columns, references, calcs, named ranges, etc, etc.  Crashes on 23 rows of data.  Just one range of row/column crash the sort - other row/columns sort just fine.  Got to final point where one more change allows the sort to work (magically?).  But it can be any change (delete a row, change a named range, delete a column, modify a calc, etc) - so it doesn't help nail down the exact solution - just some combination of 'stuff' causes crash, and one less of "stuff" and it doesn't.  

Call me 'way frustrated'.

ciao, mm.
    Monday, August 22, 2011 3:20 AM
  • We NEVER had random crashes in EXCEL 2003 or in OpenOffice.  MICROSOFT is ignoring this problem.  There have been no fixes and no response from those who should be tasked with maintenance of this product.  I have lost all edits made on a spread sheet that took hours when I tried to save the sheet.  These problems are all automatically reported to MICROSOFT.

MICROSOFT has delivered an upgraded product that is seriously broken and does not care to fix it.  How can one in good faith recommend this product to customers?

For now we will have tell customers to stay away from OFFICE 2010 and stay with Office 2003 or use an alternative office suite that is supported and does not randomly crash.

This is a problem that has been outstanding for over a year.

Tuesday, August 23, 2011 3:40 AM
  • I am amazed that no one from MICROSOFT reads these forums and takes any action.  This is not a minor problem.  It is a serious bug that makes EXCEL 2010 worthless.  Why no response?
    Friday, September 09, 2011 3:04 AM
  • We are upgrading a few hundred of our users to office 2010 (32-bit). On any 2010 machine for certain spreadsheets after macros are run, setting calculationmode to autocalculate will always crash excel. This does not happen on any 2007 machine where these spreadsheets were created.

There seems no way to diagnose what is happening here. It just appears 2010 is just more 'flaky' than 2007. Please can we have a hotfix as a matter of urgency.  

Athos

Thursday, September 15, 2011 6:01 PM
  • You are spot on. It's random and it doesn't matter what you are doing in Excel 2010.  It's just a buggy program and it has to be addressed.  Excel use to be the reason I loved Office. 

Last night, I was in a simple spreadsheet for Excel 2010 doing cut & paste from one spreadsheet to another pasting using "keep formulas".

I had 5 to do and it stopped responding and crashed 5 times after each cut & paste.  Then it did it when I was merely doing simple average calculations on a second tab in same workbook after having closed all other open spreadsheet.  I think at the time I only had Outlook running and Excel with two open workbooks. 

Needless to say, the thing crashed on me about 7 times.  Work that should have only taken me an hour took me twice as long.  I thought it was me or just a bad spreadsheet but I guess not...

No resolve after a year of this??? 

Friday, September 23, 2011 8:08 PM
  • Hi nekogirl,

It's weird and it's a problem for such a long time. (with no plausible answer).

But I'm wondering, if in your situation the problem would be the same if you have all the Excel files opened in separeted instances.

To get them working in separeted instances (or unique instances) you could create a .bat file with the line above modifyed for your enviroment:

start "Excel" "c:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14\EXCEL.EXE" /e %1

It is needed only to drag and drop the Excel files to this bat and they will work in independent instances.

The point is, even in independent inastances the problem is the same?

Please try this and post again.

Renatoabc

Friday, September 23, 2011 8:56 PM
  • I've run into this problem through various versions of Excel and have gotten the workarounds below to get me through.

1) When going from Excel 2003 to Excel 2007, I found that if I enabled the 'Analysis ToolPak' add-ins that I could get nested sorts to work again, both in Data->Sort within the spreadsheet and with VBA nested sorts in macros.

2) However, when going from Excel 2007 to Excel 2010 this did not solve the problem so had to dig a little deeper.  The problem seems to be consistent when opening a 2003 or 2007 worksheet and trying to use the Data->Sort spreadsheet tool (VBA nested sorts seem to work in 2010).  Since the replies above seemed to think that add-ins were the problem, I tested various add-in scenarios on several different machines with Excel 2010, both laptops and desktops, both with and without add-ins, and was able to eliminate add-ins as the problem in my environment (although I admit that it is very frustrating to not be able to remove the Bluetooth add-in from my Office 2010 on my laptop).  So tried other things and found a solution!

Solution:  Open the 2003 or 2007 file in 2010, then save it as an "Excel Workbook" (Select 'Save As', then under the filename select 'Excel Workbook').  This will save it in Excel 2010 format, but this is not enough.  If you look at the top of the screen near the file name, you will see '[Compatibility Mode]', indicating that you are not working on a pure Excel 2010 file yet.  So, after saving the file, close it, then re-open it, and you will see that [Compatibility Mode] is now gone, and nested sorts now work!

More Thoughts:  I'm pretty sure there is a problem in Microsoft's handling of the old Excel file format and the newer XML file format.  Specifically, I suspect that the indexing of the data structures were not thoroughly tested for 'secondary' indexes such as those needed for nested sorts.  It looks as if a primary index is created for the records when the file is converted, then no code was included to use secondary sorts unless it is an Excel 2003 shell on an Excel 2003 file, etc. on up to an Excel 2010 shell on a 'pure' Excel 2010 file.  These are just my personal conjectures, so hopefully someone more knowledgeable than I can provide more thoughts (or even dis-prove my best guesses here).

Hope this helps.

Saturday, November 12, 2011 6:38 PM
  • cuteprinter's fix worked for me.  Excel would keep crashing with the mso.dll error.  It didn't matter if I opened someone else's file or created one from scratch.  I have an HP printer with the latest drivers.  I changed my default printer to PrimoPDF (a PDF maker) and the problem went away.  Thank you!

Saturday, November 12, 2011 6:48 PM
  • many thanks.. this worked for me for sorting 235000 rows without instantly crashing!
    Wednesday, November 23, 2011 10:03 PM
  • I am late to reading this thread and have been suffering through EXCEL crashes with HP printers for severl months. The suggestion to select a different default printer has keep me working. Like others I am frustrated and still looking for a solution . . . Has anything appeared yet?
    Monday, January 02, 2012 10:45 PM
  • I am having what sounds like the same problem, but with a different module faulting. I have tried every thing mentioned on this forum (safe mode, add-ins disabling, default printer change, repairing office, changing the registry name to EXCEL.old, etc.)
    The spreadsheet was built in 2007, and works perfectly. But when opened in 2010, Excel crashes when the worksheet calulates the arrayed "INDEX, MATCH, OFFSET" functions that I use to make a dependant drop down list.
    Does anyone have ANY idea what to try next?
    Additionally, I have tested this problem on at least three different machines running Excel 2010, and all have the same problem of crashing at the same point.
    Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
    Application Name: EXCEL.EXE
    Application Version: 14.0.6112.5000
    Application Timestamp: 4e9b2bb3
    Fault Module Name: ntdll.dll
    Fault Module Version: 6.1.7601.17514
    Fault Module Timestamp: 4ce7ba58
    Exception Code: c0150014
    Exception Offset: 00084609
    OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
    Locale ID: 1033
    Additional Information 1: b532
    Additional Information 2: b532acc9e50271a24e66b5ae669d8fcd
    Additional Information 3: f426
    Additional Information 4: f426cf2a8cd530bc8c1f4312d4dd701b

• Edited by gand1024 Wednesday, January 04, 2012 3:57 PM
    Wednesday, January 04, 2012 3:46 PM
  • Hello all,

I received some calls from my users that they are having the same issue; they try to sort an Excel file and they get the same error. I found a work around, but I still believe it is an Excel issue and MS should fix it.

When you open the file and highlight the data you want to sort, if the "sort by" field is blank and you select whatever column you want, you MUST select the order even if it selected.

I.e: You select to sort by column A, even if the Order shows A to Z, highlight it from the drop down menu and you won't get the error.

After you do this, you can sort by any column you want and the error won't show up again. I think Excel just needs re-assurance of what Order should it use :)

• Proposed as answer by Ali Mohaisen Thursday, January 19, 2012 5:23 PM
    Thursday, January 19, 2012 5:23 PM
  • You are spot on. It's random and it doesn't matter what you are doing in Excel 2010.  It's just a buggy program and it has to be addressed.  Excel use to be the reason I loved Office. 

Last night, I was in a simple spreadsheet for Excel 2010 doing cut & paste from one spreadsheet to another pasting using "keep formulas".

I had 5 to do and it stopped responding and crashed 5 times after each cut & paste.  Then it did it when I was merely doing simple average calculations on a second tab in same workbook after having closed all other open spreadsheet.  I think at the time I only had Outlook running and Excel with two open workbooks. 

Needless to say, the thing crashed on me about 7 times.  Work that should have only taken me an hour took me twice as long.  I thought it was me or just a bad spreadsheet but I guess not...

No resolve after a year of this??? 

Similar problem, mine just keeps freezing. Only solution closing all files and re-open, very frustrating ..........
    Wednesday, January 25, 2012 12:30 PM
  • I had some power users that were having issues sorting .XLS files that were output from our accunting software. The sorts would cause a crash on the EXECEL.EXE module. Converting these files to .XSLX format cut down on crashes like this quite a bit.

• Proposed as answer by Erich Wehrmann Friday, April 13, 2012 11:14 PM
    Monday, February 13, 2012 11:18 PM
  • I had a similiar problem. A customer called and said that Excel crashes everytime they try to run a sort. I was able to help them successfully sort by converting the file which was loaded in compatibilty mode being that it originated from an older version of Excel. Once converted (I also saved it locally) she was able to successfully sort and then save the file to be viewed by older versions. Not sure if this will help anyone but if your file originated in older versions of Excel it is worth a looking at.

JayTheTech

Monday, March 05, 2012 4:26 PM
  • Also please check this hotfix: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942382

This is a Office 2007 hotfix.

The user asking the question has 2010.

Tuesday, April 03, 2012 1:26 PM
  • Hello all,

Similar error on Spanish/Catalan Office 2010

I had a similar error as yours, but still worse: Excel crashed when trying any kind of operation in Excel 2010 64 bits Home in Spanish (14.0.6112.5000), Windows 7, brand new computer. It loaded most files but it crashed when editting. Other office apps were running ok.

My error was Kernelbase.dll (6.1.7601.17651); or Mso.dll (14.0.6112.5000).

I tried everything for some hours (printer settings, safe mode, repairing program, register, and every other thing). Finally my problem was solved by eliminating the language package on my computer: it had "galego", "euskera", and "catalan" as 3 different programs in the "programs" menu on "control panel". I was using "catalan" (as it is my language and was set by default). When I deleted this language pack the problem was completely solved and obviously the language changed to Spanish.

Few will have the same problem but I hope it helps (and in my wet dreams I will imagine Microsoft solving it, then I will weak up not speaking Catalan any more).

Friday, April 13, 2012 5:11 PM
  • Same issue here. Win 7 32bit SP1. Office 2010 Pro SP1. 

Excel sometimes crashes on Save, sometimes randomly while working on spreadsheet.

Tried:

removing MSO.DLL

removing printer

updating printer drivers

Office repair

searching for *.XLB files to remove (didnt find any)

Still crashing:

Log Name:      Application
    Source:        Application Error
    Date:          4/19/2012 4:16:29 PM
    Event ID:      1000
    Task Category: (100)
    Level:         Error
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          N/A
    Computer:      CTZSFQ1.wdomain.local
    Description:
    Faulting application name: EXCEL.EXE, version: 14.0.6112.5000, time stamp: 0x4e9b2bb3
    Faulting module name: mso.dll, version: 14.0.6112.5000, time stamp: 0x4e9b27af
    Fault offset: 0x004739e1
    Faulting process id: 0x12b0
    Faulting application start time: 0x01cd1e693c71f2fc
    Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14\EXCEL.EXE
    Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\office14\mso.dll
    Report Id: 8bf4129b-8a5c-11e1-9186-782bcb922edc
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
      <System>
        <Provider Name="Application Error" />
        <EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>
        <Level>2</Level>
        <Task>100</Task>
        <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2012-04-19T20:16:29.000000000Z" />
        <EventRecordID>18478</EventRecordID>
        <Channel>Application</Channel>
        <Computer>CTZSFQ1.wdomain.local</Computer>
        <Security />
      </System>
      <EventData>
        <Data>EXCEL.EXE</Data>
        <Data>14.0.6112.5000</Data>
        <Data>4e9b2bb3</Data>
        <Data>mso.dll</Data>
        <Data>14.0.6112.5000</Data>
        <Data>4e9b27af</Data>
        <Data>c0000005</Data>
        <Data>004739e1</Data>
        <Data>12b0</Data>
        <Data>01cd1e693c71f2fc</Data>
        <Data>C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14\EXCEL.EXE</Data>
        <Data>C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\office14\mso.dll</Data>
        <Data>8bf4129b-8a5c-11e1-9186-782bcb922edc</Data>
      </EventData>
    </Event>

• Proposed as answer by bjgimp Friday, May 11, 2012 6:16 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by bjgimp Friday, May 11, 2012 6:16 AM
    Thursday, April 19, 2012 8:26 PM
  • I had the same issue, both excel and word would open and before I could do anything within them, they would close. I went back through my Windows Updates and deleted the most recent updates pertaining to Office, and it fixed my problem. Hope this helps someone else.
    • Proposed as answer by bjgimp Friday, May 11, 2012 6:17 AM
    Friday, May 11, 2012 6:17 AM
  • There seems to be multiple issues with working with.xls files (97-2003) in Compatibility Mode.  Try having the user save the file as an .xlsx.  This eliminated the crashing errors for my users.
    Wednesday, May 30, 2012 3:35 PM
  • First off there are two fixes i have found todate :

If the error is with sorting normally, check and see if you have Security Update for Microsoft Excel 2010 (KB2597166) installed if so remove this patch and sorting will work without crashing.

As mentioned in this forum, there is an issue with HP printer drivers and excel and setting your default printer to a pdf one can sometimes fix this issue also.

I do believe there will be a hot fix coming soon if not already available for this issue.

Regards all,

• Edited by Dkerley Wednesday, July 11, 2012 7:50 PM
    Tuesday, July 10, 2012 8:24 PM
  • this error was driving me crazy. After installations and unistallations, i realized that this issue was starting after updates from microsoft. As soon as a specific update was install the problems would start. I started unistalling updates. The issue is not SP1 but a specific security update for excel 2010. As soon as i unistalled it, the issue was gone. If you click programs and features and then "view installed updates" you will see a security update specifically for Excel 2010. Unistall it and everything will be good again :)
    Friday, August 10, 2012 2:01 PM
  • My office has had similiar issues in Office 2010 so we rolled them back to Office 2007 and installed SP3.  SP3 fixes some bugs that cause Excel to crash.  So if you have a copy of Office 2007 you can install for them, you might want to try uninstalling 2010 and installing 2007 then have them test sorting for a week to see if that works any better. 

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Friday, August 10, 2012 2:25 PM
  • Be sure to install the SP3 update to office 2007 if you decide to try it!!!

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Friday, August 10, 2012 2:26 PM
  • HI

What if I want to enable...not an add-in, because I do not know what those are or an add-on, I have  never used them,......but i am finding out they may be the only solution to solve this mystery. I was using it 1 day ....then I customized a ribbon looking for the select all  button. Now panning hand in excel. 2010Pro is gone.  I have always used it. Is is great for searching large spreadsheets. The grab & pull method is SO much better than the scroll bars, which become small & tedious to manage with many tabs & large sheets. I have been searching for weeks. & have come to realize unless there is an easier way,.....will have to implement a custom button adding action if grabbing & pulling is available this ...very out of my league ....is this the only way to retrieve the pan hand that was always available?

I do have touch screen too, could panning hand be there? Please advise.

Saturday, August 25, 2012 8:42 AM
  • Some of our Users have the same issue (Windows 7 64 bits + Office 2010 SP1 32 bits).

Their common point is that they all user HP printer as default printers.

We've tried to repair Office 2010, we've tried uninstall/reinstall Office 2010, we've deleted the registry entries for Excel 2010, and we've even deleted and re-created the full Windows 7 user profile... but that didn't helped.

For us, the only "solution" is to not use an HP Printer ! But, sadly, the user's in question only have HP Printers nearby !

So, if HP or Microsoft could fix this that would be great.

Wednesday, September 12, 2012 7:38 AM
  • Same c0000005 problem here with a user but we have no HP printers. At all.

Win 7 32 bit SP1 with Office 2010 all new build PC only about 3 months old. Excel file is created on Office 2010 so convert option has no relevance. The offending file is listed as mso.dll

Microsoft needs to address this urgently

Actually it seems a bit strange that there was some 'Microsoft' input to this thread in the early postings but they have since fallen silent...
    • Edited by BrentHR Tuesday, September 18, 2012 4:11 AM Added comment .
    Tuesday, September 18, 2012 3:30 AM
  • This is a problem we are having too... and our most important document in the company is almost unusable due to crashing constantly!  Sorting is almost guaranteed to crash it irrecoverably (forcing a computer restart).  We do not have an HP printer.  Windows 7 with Excel 2010.  How could Microsoft not have a solution to an obvious downgrade in the program.  We're trying to find on Office 2007 suite to install... we cannot function like this!

What's so hard, here?  Deliver a new service pack that just happens to be 2007? ;-)
    Tuesday, October 16, 2012 3:33 PM
  • Is anyone still having issues with Excel 2010 and having it crash when you try to sort?  I have a document that was originally coded in Excel XP and every time the program came accross a command to in Excel 2010 it would crash.  I now have code that allows me to sort with out crashing. And I wanted to share it with anyone who needs it.

'Applying sort.
     With ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets(ActiveSheet.Name).Sort
     .SortFields.Clear
     .SortFields.Add Key:=Range("X2:X48220"), _
     SortOn:=xlSortOnValues, Order:=xlDescending, DataOption:=xlSortNormal
     .SetRange Range("X1:X3511")
     .Header = xlYes
     .MatchCase = False
     .Orientation = xlTopToBottom
     .SortMethod = xlPinYin
     .Apply
     End With

Friday, November 09, 2012 1:13 AM
  • I had the same problem after upgrade from Office 2003 to Office 2010. 

I solved it by clicking in File - Info - Convert

Monday, November 12, 2012 7:45 PM
  • I have W7 64bit with Office 2010 and was having a really hard time doing any kind of sorting or 'remove duplicates' functions.  It would take forever to get anything done if it worked at all.

I uninstalled SP1 and all of the most recent Office 2010 updates and that seems to have fixed the issue for now.

Wednesday, July 24, 2013 8:13 PM
  • After trying different options for solving the issue - non worked until I tried this one, worked perfectly by now.
    Thanks for you tip dude!!!

Friday, November 22, 2013 6:12 PM