none
Event ID: 50 TermDD - The RDP protocol component X.224 detected an error in the protocol stream and has disconnected the client.

Question

• Hello,

The following error shows up in the System Event Log on our DC.

Any help if finding out what this error means and hopefully getting a resolution would be great.

Thanks

Angelo

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: TermDD
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 50
    Date:  4/27/2012
    Time:  11:09:07 AM
    User:  N/A
    Computer: DC1
    Description:
    The RDP protocol component X.224 detected an error in the protocol stream and has disconnected the client.
    Data:
    0000: 00 00 08 00 02 00 56 00   ......V.
    0008: 00 00 00 00 32 00 0a c0   ....2..À
    0010: 00 00 00 00 32 00 0a c0   ....2..À
    0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00   ........
    0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00   ........
    0028: 17 00 00 00 32 00 0a c0   ....2..À

Angelo

Friday, April 27, 2012 4:04 PM

Answers

• Hi Angelo,

Based on what you have written I would ignore the error.  It may even be related to your ipsec issue.  In the past I have seen where if there are network issues this error (and another similar type) will be logged.  For example, every long once in a while when I try to connect from a mobile broadband card this error will be logged, another case is when my laptop comes out of hibernate or sleep and existing connections are re-established, and still another case I have noticed is when I have flaky issues with WiFi.

If the people connecting to your DC are not noticing any problems with RDP I would ignore the error since I have seen it logged at least infrequently on pretty much every TS server I have set up.

-TP

• Marked as answer by ADMCSE Friday, May 04, 2012 12:58 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by ADMCSE Friday, May 04, 2012 12:59 AM
    • Marked as answer by ADMCSE Friday, May 04, 2012 1:00 AM
    Tuesday, May 01, 2012 1:42 PM

All replies

• Hi Angelo,

Are you having any actual Remote Desktop-related problems/symptoms with this server, or are you just investigating why the error is appearing in your log?

If you are not having problems connecting or staying connected to this server using Remote Desktop and the error only shows up occasionally I would recommend you ignore the error.  On busy servers with hundreds of logons/logoffs daily I have seen this logged approximately 3-7 times daily, whereas on low use servers it may be logged only once a week or even less frequently.

If you are seeing symptoms then I recommend you update NIC drivers and firmware on server and clients, and update the clients to the latest Remote Desktop Client version (6.1.7600 or 6.1.7601).  If that does solve the issue then further network troubleshooting may be necessary.

-TP

Sunday, April 29, 2012 2:06 PM
  • Hello,

I checked the server (which is a DC) and this error occurs roughly once a day,  54 times since Jan 1.  TS on this machine is used frequently by admins to administer the system but mostly RDP is OK, at least from my experience. The only problem we has sometimes is usually caused because we are using IPSec for RDP.  This is usually corrected by waiting or forcing a GPUPDATE. 

So given this information and the frequency you think it is somewhat normal and can be ignored?

Let me know.

Thanks Angelo

Angelo

Monday, April 30, 2012 8:59 PM
  • Hi Angelo,

Based on what you have written I would ignore the error.  It may even be related to your ipsec issue.  In the past I have seen where if there are network issues this error (and another similar type) will be logged.  For example, every long once in a while when I try to connect from a mobile broadband card this error will be logged, another case is when my laptop comes out of hibernate or sleep and existing connections are re-established, and still another case I have noticed is when I have flaky issues with WiFi.

If the people connecting to your DC are not noticing any problems with RDP I would ignore the error since I have seen it logged at least infrequently on pretty much every TS server I have set up.

-TP

• Marked as answer by ADMCSE Friday, May 04, 2012 12:58 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by ADMCSE Friday, May 04, 2012 12:59 AM
    • Marked as answer by ADMCSE Friday, May 04, 2012 1:00 AM
    Tuesday, May 01, 2012 1:42 PM
  • TP,

Thanks for your help, that's what I will do.

Angelo

Angelo

Friday, May 04, 2012 1:00 AM