none
Remove site delete permission from site owners group RRS feed

• Question

• I would like to remove the ability to delete sites from the site owners group. I have considers removing the "Manage Web Site" Permission but I am concerned about what impact that may have on their ability to manage their site in other ways. It's easy to add or remove the ability to create sub sites but it not the same for deleting sites. Manage web site seems to do several things.
    Wednesday, September 20, 2017 5:44 PM

Answers

All replies

• Create a custom permissions level. DONOT modify the OOB permissions.

Since Site Owner has full control permission level, you can copy the permission level from full control with "Manage Site" removed.

1. Site Settings->Site Permissions

2. Select Permission Levels in the ribbon of Site Permission page

3. Click Full Control

4. Scroll to the bottom and click "Copy Permission Level"

5. Name the group something like Full Control no Delete

6. Uncheck "Manage Site"

Assign this permission level to the users/group who you want them to be site owners.

ViviSP

Wednesday, September 20, 2017 6:34 PM
  • For your scenario, the best would be creating a "Site Deleting"/"Web Deleting" Event Receivers, which can protect the sites. And within Event Receiver you can verify the Current User Group to decide weather they can delete or not.

If you want to know how to create a event receiver to achieve the similar functionality, see here https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/sharepointdevelopersupport/2012/09/07/how-to-prevent-site-deletion-with-a-custom-event-receiver/

• Marked as answer by JohnInATL Friday, November 24, 2017 7:40 PM
    Wednesday, September 20, 2017 11:18 PM
  • Here you go,

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/b151290c-fc37-4ee5-88a8-6b444153255d/remove-delete-site-permission?forum=sharepointgeneral

Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the answer if it helps you

Thursday, September 21, 2017 12:43 AM
  • Thank you Manish,

This sounds exactly like what I need/want to do. I don't want to take away the Manage Web Site permission I just don't want the owner to delete sites. The only problem I have is that SharePoint is not installed on my developer PC and Visual Studio isn't on my dev SP environment. So I can't get an empty SharePoint project type to load. I believe there is something I can install that will allow that to happen but I am not sure what that is. I tried installing the SharePoint Client 2013 SDK but it still won't let me create a project.

• Edited by JohnInATL Thursday, September 21, 2017 12:45 PM
    Thursday, September 21, 2017 11:44 AM