none
net view \\addressIPserver fails with error 53

Question

• Hi

from ComputerA, net view \\addressIPserver fails with error 53 ( but nbtstat -A addressIPserver , and also ping addressIPserver are OK ) , while it works from ComputerB
    If I reboot the server, then it works.
    => which service should I stop/restart to make it work again , without having to reboot the server ?

Server, computerA , computerB are all windows seven

ipconfig /all shows that Netbios over tcp/ip is active

thanks for your help

Sunday, April 14, 2013 6:30 PM

Answers

• In general below services are related to network share.Restart below services when you face share access issue.

lanmanserver & browser 

To restart service either you run below commands or use services console.

net stop lanmanserver & net start lanmanserver
    net stop browser net start browser 

Also make sure that your server should run without network/name resolution issue.

Regards, Ravikumar P

Sunday, April 14, 2013 8:12 PM
  • Hi,

If the net view\\IPAddress command fails with a "System error 53 has occurred" message, the remote computer might not be running the File and Printer Sharing for your computer A/B.

To enable the File and Printer Sharing, do the following:

Open the Windows Control Panel, and click Network and Internet then click Network and Sharing Center.
    In the left pane, click Change Advanced Sharing Settings.
    Under the profile you wish to change, scroll to the File and Printer Sharing section and click Turn on File and Printer Sharing.
    Click Save Changes.

Hope this helps!

Monday, April 15, 2013 8:28 AM

All replies

• In general below services are related to network share.Restart below services when you face share access issue.

lanmanserver & browser 

To restart service either you run below commands or use services console.

net stop lanmanserver & net start lanmanserver
    net stop browser net start browser 

Also make sure that your server should run without network/name resolution issue.

Regards, Ravikumar P

Sunday, April 14, 2013 8:12 PM
  • Hi,

If the net view\\IPAddress command fails with a "System error 53 has occurred" message, the remote computer might not be running the File and Printer Sharing for your computer A/B.

To enable the File and Printer Sharing, do the following:

Open the Windows Control Panel, and click Network and Internet then click Network and Sharing Center.
    In the left pane, click Change Advanced Sharing Settings.
    Under the profile you wish to change, scroll to the File and Printer Sharing section and click Turn on File and Printer Sharing.
    Click Save Changes.

Hope this helps!

Monday, April 15, 2013 8:28 AM
  • I have same problem. It's a home environment, tested with one Notebook, two PCs

My PC and my Notebook both running Win 7, both have netbios over tcp/ip enabled, both in the same network, same netmask, use same Netcom router modem for internet. My Notebook has Windows firewall turned off for testing. 

My Notebook can access my PC's shared folders and resources, but not the other direction. my PC and the other PC cannot access my Notebook not even reaching it. 

For example, other two PCs cannot get my Notebook to respond to 'ping' or 'tracert' command but my Notebook can.

'net view \\ip' command also behaves the same.

It has nothing to do with the higher layer settings such as enabling network discovery, enabling folder share, etc, ping command and tracert command indicates a system level setting wrong on my Notebook but I cannot identify it.  

Any help will be appreciated. 

Wednesday, February 12, 2014 3:56 AM
  • Hello

restarting Services resolve well the probleme.

Thank you

Tuesday, September 26, 2017 2:09 PM