Outlook 2010 - Send/Receive Error


  • Outlook 2010 initially was working with no problems, then the send/receive at a later date would just hang, I would "cancel all" and then the message box at the bottom would display send/receive errors, again I would "cancel all" to clear the message - Outlook 2010 then would continually hang when I would try send/receive... I would again "cancel all" and close out the program but found that Outloo 2010 would not restart  - I opened task manager and found that Outlook.exe was still listed as a process in task manager and I would end the process and then Outlook 2010 would start... I am pulling my hair out trying to find out what is causing the problem! I do know for sure that each time I get a send/receive error I will have to close out the program and then open task manager after and end the Outlook.exe process before Outlook will start again.

    I have removed accounts and re-added them
    I have run scanpst on all .pst files

    This is baffling me!

    P.S. - The junk mail filter sucks bigtime!!! I have the setting set to "Safe List" and I am still getting junk mail!!!
    Wednesday, December 30, 2009 5:33 PM

All replies

  • Have a look at the thread "Outlook 2010 Send/Receive ALWAYS hangs/stalls" ( This is all about the problem you describe.  Unfortunately there's no fix - the only thing that works for me is killing the outlook.exe a few times.
    Thursday, December 31, 2009 9:26 AM
  • Ah yes, I am not alone... At this point I have resolved the issue by removing 1 of my 3 pop3 email addresses - I never incurred a problem with the previous version of Outlook, but the 2010 beta seems confused... I currently am running with 2 pop email accounts (after deleting/removing a 3rd pop account) and 1 hotmail account via the beta connector with no issues... If I add the 3rd pop email account back in the issues quickly return, remove/delete the 3rd account and the issues go away... it doesn't matter whether that 3rd account is set to use the default .pst file or a new .pst file...

    I will also say that there is simalarlity in 2 pop account, 1 is thommac, the other which has been removed is thommc... Again, both of these accounts worked under the previous Outlook, but will not under the beta version... Go figure!
    • Proposed as answer by daviddocc Sunday, October 24, 2010 3:44 PM
    Thursday, December 31, 2009 10:15 AM
  • I'm having similar issues.
    When i send/recieve the notifications say everything is updated but the mails are not displaying. I get the desktop notifications but that's it.
    this has been happening alot over the last few days.

    Will try just having two pop2 accounts.
    Friday, January 29, 2010 4:07 PM
  • My Install:

    Win7 RC - 64 Bit
    Office 2010 Beta

    Hey Guys..

    I checked out the Event Log and found that the VBA addin was being loaded and was the ONLY addin that was creating an "Information" level entry. 

    I did a little digging and found for my Outlook uses, I didn't need that VBA addin.. but I couldn't remove it from the AddIns panel within Outlook.. So.. for ship's and giggles.. I shut down Outlook (having to kill it out of the Task Manager) and then simply moved the OUTLVBA.DLL file out of the AddIns directory (mine is C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\ADDINS) and restarted Outlook. 

    So far, so good... Not sure if this will work for everyone.. but did for me. If anyone is using any special VB code in their Rules, etc, they may need the VBA addin.  
    (it's only been running for a few hours now but still hanging in there after a couple reboots)

    Good Luck!

    Rich Morgan
    • Edited by typer139 Thursday, February 18, 2010 5:14 AM mis-spelling :-)
    • Proposed as answer by PEDUME Thursday, February 02, 2012 2:03 PM
    Thursday, February 18, 2010 5:14 AM