none
OOTB Approval Workflow Error: Cancelled - The workflow could not update the item, possibly because one or more columns for the item require a different type of information. RRS feed

• Question

• We are facing a strange issue with OOTB Approval Workflow. Whenever a document is selected for publishing workflow just terminates and status is shown as "Cancelled" . On clicking this cancelled hyperlink following is visisble - The workflow could not update the item, possibly because one or more columns for the item require a different type of information.

Date Occurred || Event Type || User ID || Description || Outcome  

10/27/2011 2:02 PM Error || System Account || The workflow could not update the item, possibly because one or more columns for the item require a different type of information. || Access Denied

This issue is replicable only on a particular site collection on a web application.

Here are the workflow details-

Task List : Tasks
    History List : Workflow History
    Start Options : Start this workflow to approve publishing a major version of an item.
    Enable Content Approval: Update the approval status after the workflow is completed (use this workflow to control content approval).

Doc Library Settings-

Require content approval for submitted items : Yes
    Create major and minor (draft) versions
      Example: 1.0, 1.1, 1.2, 2.0  
    Who should see draft items in this document library? : Any user who can read items
    Require documents to be checked out before they can be edited? Yes

Note:

There is no error trace in Sharepoint diagnostic logs or event viewer(on verbose setting). We also tried Collect Feedback Workflow and it is working fine as expected on same doc lib (with same set of supporting lists- task and workflow history)

Thursday, October 27, 2011 8:00 PM

Answers

• Make sure you don't have the "Enable Content Approval" option checked at the bottom of the workflow settings when your library/list doesn't even have Content Approval turned on. Having this option checked without the Content Approval feature in use will result in this error message.
    Tuesday, February 19, 2013 8:38 PM

All replies

• Hi,

The OOTB workflows will running under system account by default. and system account is the account which is used to run application pool.

So, please make sure that system account has permissions to these documents. you can add it into your site collection administrators group to check the results.

Regards,

Seven

Wednesday, November 2, 2011 7:46 AM
  • Thanks Seven, 

I have verified that the service account is having site collection admin rights.

Also, error changes to following if a change in doc lib version settings is made-

Workflow History-

Date Occurred

Event Type

User ID

Description

Outcome

10/27/2011 14:30

Error

System Account

The workflow operation failed because the workflow lookup found no matching item.

Unknown error

Doc Library Version Settings (Change)

·         Who should see draft items in this document library? :   Only users who can approve items (and the author of the item)

• Edited by Ujjwal1 Wednesday, November 2, 2011 9:12 PM
    Wednesday, November 2, 2011 9:11 PM
  • Hi Ujjwal1, any luck on finding a resolution.

I'm also encountering the same error. I added the service account into the site collection administrator group and still encountered the same error. After changing the Doc Library Version Setting, I get the same error.

It's strange as the approval workflow has been working for a few months now and this error was only reported to me about last Thursday. The only thing that changed for the server some updates were installed on the server and it got restarted over the weekend.

Monday, December 5, 2011 3:18 AM
  • Hi,

same problem here the OOB approval workflow was working for quite some time and is now causing the error described above...

Has anybody solved this bug allready or has an idea what can be the cause of this problem?

Best Regards,

Konstantin 

Thursday, October 18, 2012 6:54 AM
  • Make sure you don't have the "Enable Content Approval" option checked at the bottom of the workflow settings when your library/list doesn't even have Content Approval turned on. Having this option checked without the Content Approval feature in use will result in this error message.
    Tuesday, February 19, 2013 8:38 PM
  • Hi,

Same issue here.  The OOB Approval workflow was working fine and then started throwing the error mentioned above upon initiation.  I took Joel's advice and unchecked the "Enable Content Approval" option in the workflow and the workflow will run.  The problem I see is, the list has the Content Approval feature turned on.  I believe the user needs this feature enabled in the workflow.  Any other suggestions?

Wednesday, June 5, 2013 11:12 PM
  • The OOB approval workflows contain an impersonation step which is only executed when the Content Approval option is utilized. This impersonation step will attempt to impersonate the author of the workflow, which will be the last person to publish it.

Open the site in SharePoint Designer and look at the workflows. Confirm that the account of whoever is listed in the "Last Modified" field for each workflow is actually still a valid, enabled account, and that it has access to the list where the content approval is taking place.

When we encountered this issue, we re-published all approval workflows using a service account. Note that to do this, the service account must log into a computer with both SharePoint Designer and Visio installed; Visio is necessary to properly generate the workflow status diagrams.

Friday, October 11, 2013 6:40 PM