Master Page Gallery Library Permissions Change Automically - Why? RRS feed

• Question

• When you first create a new publishing site in MOSS 2007, the Master Page Gallery library does not inherit permissions from the Parent Website - even though the permissions mirror your site's permissions when it is created. 

My question is why does MOSS change the permissions to no one having any rights to the library?  I don't know what triggers this - but the end result is a Site Owner can no longer create a new page within the site (they get an access denied error message when trying to create a new page).  I have seen this over and over again when working with clients - the solution is to go into the Master Page Gallery library and give them read rights - then they can create pages again. 

But does anyone know why the original permissions on the library get blown away?
    • Moved by Mike Walsh FIN Thursday, November 26, 2009 6:39 AM Publishing site (From:SharePoint - General Question and Answers and Discussion)
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 6:04 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Yes, Master Page Gallery use unique permissions by default.

Here is the default permissions for your information:

Approvers    SharePoint Group  Approvers  Read 

Designers    SharePoint Group  Designers  Design 

Hierarchy Managers    SharePoint Group  Hierarchy Managers  Read 

Restricted Readers    SharePoint Group  Restricted Readers  Restricted Read 

Style Resource Readers    SharePoint Group  Style Resource Readers  Read 

System Account    User  SHAREPOINT\system  Full Control 

You may find that the permission is reduced for the library to secure your farm. I am sorry for the additional administrative burden brought to you.

-lambert

Sincerely,
    Lambert Qin
    Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Monday, November 30, 2009 8:53 AM