none
disk read error occured - vhd using disk2vhd

Question

• created a vhd using disk2vhd and I'm getting a disk read error occurred message on boot - any idea how I can fix it? I tried creating the snapshot again but it gave me the same error 
    Monday, June 25, 2012 9:34 AM

All replies

• Hello ,

Did you use also to get the master boot partition?

Sincerely,

Murat Demirkiran

If the post helps you and remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. www.scvmm2012.com (TR Language) Please note that I'm not a Microsoft Representative or SpokesPerson.

Monday, June 25, 2012 10:28 AM
  • Maybe you can use DISKPART utility to fix the boot partition. Usage in here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/300415 or search for it.

Adelino Araujo

Monday, June 25, 2012 10:29 AM
  • Hello ,

Did you use also to get the master boot partition?

Sincerely,

Murat Demirkiran

If the post helps you and remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. www.scvmm2012.com (TR Language) Please note that I'm not a Microsoft Representative or SpokesPerson.

not sure what you mean - I've made the snapshot of disk C

Monday, June 25, 2012 10:37 AM
  • Maybe you can use DISKPART utility to fix the boot partition. Usage in here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/300415 or search for it.

Adelino Araujo

partition seems to be healthy not sure what else I can do? removed system reserved partition - doubt that'll help 
    Monday, June 25, 2012 10:38 AM
  • check the disk you want to make an vhd image from with chkdsk before, seen weird vhd errors when the original disk had unresolved errors fixed by chkdsk
    Monday, June 25, 2012 2:18 PM
  • Hi,

Did you get any issue if you mount the VHD to a virtual machine as data VHD and open it? If the issue continues, there may be some issue occurred during the convert of the disk2vhd.

Monday, June 25, 2012 3:32 PM
  • There are a couple of edge cases that are described in the disk2vhd tool page: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/ee656415.aspx

For example: do not attach to VHDs on the same system on which you created them if you plan on booting from them.

Please make sure that you do not hit those cases.

The other thing I have heard is that if the VHD is located on a network share, people seem to hit this issue. Not sure if that's the case with you.

Tuesday, June 26, 2012 4:16 AM
  • Hi,

Did you get any issue if you mount the VHD to a virtual machine as data VHD and open it? If the issue continues, there may be some issue occurred during the convert of the disk2vhd.

didn't get any issues when I attached the vhd
    Tuesday, June 26, 2012 7:49 AM
  • There are a couple of edge cases that are described in the disk2vhd tool page: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/ee656415.aspx

For example: do not attach to VHDs on the same system on which you created them if you plan on booting from them.

Please make sure that you do not hit those cases.

The other thing I have heard is that if the VHD is located on a network share, people seem to hit this issue. Not sure if that's the case with you.

didn't attach it to the same system it was created on, it's located on the local hard drive of the hyper-v server 
    Tuesday, June 26, 2012 7:49 AM
  • Hi!

I'm just shooting some thoughts here:

Is the system partition inside the vhd set as active? You can mount the vhd in disk manager and right-click c: and choose "Mark partition as active", and see if that helps. The system reserved partition is often set as the active partition.

Or maybe the physical server booted off a storage controller that is now absent in Hyper-V?

Have you tried running the startup repair utility found on the installation media?

Tuesday, June 26, 2012 10:19 AM
  • Hi!

I'm just shooting some thoughts here:

Is the system partition inside the vhd set as active? You can mount the vhd in disk manager and right-click c: and choose "Mark partition as active", and see if that helps. The system reserved partition is often set as the active partition.

Or maybe the physical server booted off a storage controller that is now absent in Hyper-V?

Have you tried running the startup repair utility found on the installation media?

Helpful, Mike, thanks... I set mine to active and the error changed to 'BOOTMGR is missing'. Even that much progress made me feel better.  I don't know how to fix that yet, or whether I need to 'fix' the 100MB partition that was set as active before.

Any thoughts would be helpful, and right now I'm off to do some searching myself.

Thanks,

David (had the same problem obviously)

• Proposed as answer by Morten Meisler Thursday, January 3, 2013 10:08 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Morten Meisler Thursday, January 3, 2013 10:08 PM
    Sunday, September 2, 2012 9:09 PM
  • Old post, but I crossed it several times. You probably found out, but the reason is exactly because you forgot to check the "System Reserved" partition. I just got the same error, then redid with disk2vhd after reading another post. Worked fine with Hyper-v
    • Proposed as answer by Morten Meisler Thursday, January 3, 2013 10:10 PM
    Thursday, January 3, 2013 10:10 PM
  • This Is def the key, make sure you also tick the "System Reserved" , in fact disk2vhd should come with a warning when converting a c:\ drive that to make it bootable the system reserved partition also needs to be included! 

Sunday, June 30, 2013 7:00 AM
  • Came here searching for the exact same solution, and this solved it. Thank you.
    Friday, October 10, 2014 2:10 PM
  • I fixed it, without converting the "System Reserved" partition,  by:

Setting the system partition inside the vhd set as active: You can mount the vhd in disk manager and right-click c: and choose "Mark partition as active".

Then boot the VM from a Windows CD and select Repair Your Computer - Troubleshoot - Advanced options - Startup Repair

• Proposed as answer by blankhunt42 Friday, July 21, 2017 11:40 AM
    Friday, October 28, 2016 8:57 AM
  • Thank you so much!

I did it exactly as described, and it solved my problem!
    Friday, July 21, 2017 11:43 AM