none
how to enable and start distributed cache service on newly added SP2013 server in the farm RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Team, I just added new server in the SP2013 farm and trying to turn on distributed cache service from CA (want to add to cache cluster) and It says "Error starting".

i ran below PS  

Get-SPServiceInstance | ? {($_.service.tostring()) -eq "SPDistributedCacheService Name=AppFabricCachingService"} | select Server, Status

and It says the DC is "disabled" on the server.

So question is how can i start it?

Please help. 

Thanks.

Tuesday, September 10, 2019 3:01 PM

All replies

• Use Add-SPDistributedCacheServiceInstance on the server you want to start it on.

Trevor Seward

Office Apps and Services MVP

Author, Deploying SharePoint 2019

Author, Deploying SharePoint 2016

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Tuesday, September 10, 2019 3:08 PM
  • Thanks for the reply. I did ran the command you suggested but when i ran below command to check the status, It says disabled. Thanks.

Get-SPServiceInstance | ? {($_.service.tostring()) -eq "SPDistributedCacheService Name=AppFabricCachingService"| select Server, Status

Tuesday, September 10, 2019 3:33 PM
  • Hi abc67, 

Executed below commands to remove DC service instance & added it back.

Stop-SPDistributedCacheServiceInstance -Graceful
    Remove-SPDistributedCacheServiceInstance
    Add-SPDistributedCacheServiceInstance

Troubleshooting distributed cache in SharePoint Server 2013 for your reference:

https://vigneshsharepointthoughts.com/2015/10/20/troubleshooting-distributed-cache-in-sharepoint-server-2013/

Best Regards, 

Lisa Chen 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Wednesday, September 11, 2019 9:24 AM
  • Hi abc67, 

If a reply helps you, please remember to mark it as an answer.

Thanks for your understanding. 

Best Regards, 

Lisa Chen 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Friday, September 13, 2019 7:22 AM
  • Hi abc67, 

Please remember to mark the helpful post as an answer.

Thanks for your understanding. 

Best Regards, 

Lisa Chen

Tuesday, September 17, 2019 11:25 AM