none
Migration Batch Completed with Errors RRS feed

• Question

• Background: We were re-balancing our Exchange Databases, and performing a migration to new Databases on Exchange 2013. All of the Migrations, except for one completed fine, one completed with errors.

Issue: One Mailbox in the the Migration Batch that completed with errors is reporting the following error:

"Error: MigrationPermanentException: Error: Cannot read named property data with key = ‎'null‎'"

I found the following article that talks about this error, but with no detail:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/c2d92f9e-36ac-4fa5-acc6-83d5a0174a5d/error-migrationpermanentexception-error-cannot-read-named-property-data-with-key-null-when?forum=exchangesvrdeploy

I have tried to remove the mailbox from the Migration Batch, but get the following error:

"The user user@email.com couldn't be removed from the migration batch "MBXDB7" in its current state. Please stop the batch and then try to remove the user"

I found this related article:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/exchange/en-US/4d7c24b0-b235-4e91-bfe4-c50de7458dd6/exchange-2007-to-exchange-2013-mailbox-migration-problems?forum=exchangesvrdeploy

I have tried to stop the migration batch, but get "The Migration Batch can't be stopped in its current state.

Before moving forward, I attempted to take a backup PST file of the user's mailbox, and that export to PST failed.

I have opened the Migration Report for the user, and here is what is inside:

11/25/2015 4:18:24 PM [Wolf] '' created move request.
    11/25/2015 6:35:23 PM [Wolf] The Microsoft Exchange Mailbox Replication service 'Wolf' (15.0.847.31 caps:03FF) is examining the request.
    11/25/2015 6:36:00 PM [Wolf] Connected to target mailbox 'Primary (dc19a99c-400e-412b-999a-a9fa1f5438fd)', database 'MBXDB7', Mailbox server 'Wolf' Version 15.0 (Build 847.0).
    11/25/2015 6:36:01 PM [Wolf] Connected to source mailbox 'Primary (dc19a99c-400e-412b-999a-a9fa1f5438fd)', database 'HCStaffJ-L', Mailbox server 'Wolf' Version 15.0 (Build 847.0).
    11/25/2015 6:36:23 PM [Wolf] Request processing started.
    11/25/2015 6:36:23 PM [Wolf] Source mailbox information:
    Regular Items: 6405, 1.218 GB (1,308,010,864 bytes)
    Regular Deleted Items: 1358, 68.24 MB (71,552,155 bytes)
    FAI Items: 172, 1.933 MB (2,026,451 bytes)
    FAI Deleted Items: 0, 0 B (0 bytes)
    11/25/2015 6:36:54 PM [Wolf] Cleared sync state for request dc19a99c-400e-412b-999a-a9fa1f5438fd due to 'CleanupOrphanedMailbox'.
    11/25/2015 6:37:35 PM [Wolf] Stage: CreatingFolderHierarchy. Percent complete: 10.
    11/25/2015 6:38:01 PM [Wolf] Initializing folder hierarchy from mailbox 'Primary (dc19a99c-400e-412b-999a-a9fa1f5438fd)': 691 folders total.
    11/25/2015 6:38:01 PM [Wolf] Folder creation progress: 0 folders created in mailbox 'Primary (dc19a99c-400e-412b-999a-a9fa1f5438fd)'.
    11/25/2015 6:38:49 PM [Wolf] Fatal error CorruptNamedPropDataException has occurred.

I have tried searching on this Fatal Error, and have come up with nothing. Contemplating opening a case with Microsoft Support, but hoping for some ideas first.

Monday, November 30, 2015 3:18 PM

Answers

• I opened a case with Premier Support, and it evidently was a known bug. Premier Support got back to me rather quickly. Solution posted below.

Troubleshooting Steps/Resolution:

===========================

• Checked move request logs and it states “Fatal error CorruptNamedPropDataException has occurred”.
    • Checked move request.
      • Get-MoveRequest "User" | Get-MoveRequestStatistics
    • Rerun move requests by specifying the following parameters:
      • Get-MoveRequest "User" | Set-MoveRequest -SkipMoving KnownCorruptions,FolderPromotedProperties
    • Resumed move request and it completed successfully.
      • Get-MoveRequest "User" | Resume-MoveRequest
    • Issue resolved.

Related Articles:

=============

• Mailbox moves in Exchange 2013: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj150543(v=exchg.150).aspx
    Managing failed mailbox move requests: http://blogs.technet.com/b/mikehall/archive/2013/08/06/3588777.aspx

• Marked as answer by xXMorganXx Wednesday, December 2, 2015 3:51 PM
    Wednesday, December 2, 2015 3:51 PM
  • Hi,

What's your detailed Exchange 2013 version?

Please check the Event logs for the mailbox migration and confirm whether the migration error is related to any folder properties. We can try the following command to do the mailbox move for this mailbox:

New-MoveRequest Test -TargetDatabase DB1 | Set-MoveRequest -SkipMoving KnownCorruptions,FolderPromotedProperties

Based on my knowledge, it is a known issue in Exchange 2013 CU4 and has been resolved in CU7. It is recommended to install the latest Exchange version (CU10 currently) in your environment.

Regards,

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Winnie Liang
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, December 1, 2015 6:49 AM

All replies

• Hello 

How many concurrent move request started. Did you see any I/O errors reading the source mailbox.

Please mark as an answer if this answers your question .

PREM RANA

MCSE Exchange 2013, MCSA 2012 Server MCTS Exchange 2007,

2010, MCITP Exchange 2007, 2010 MCSE 2003 Server,

MCSA Exchange 2003 ITIL V3 Foundation

https://ranaprem.wordpress.com/

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.

Monday, November 30, 2015 4:35 PM
  • Hi,

Please check the Event logs for the mailbox migration and confirm whether the migration error is related to any folder properties. We can try the following command to do the mailbox move for this mailbox:

New-MoveRequest Test -TargetDatabase DB1 | Set-MoveRequest -SkipMoving KnownCorruptions,FolderPromotedProperties

Based on my knowledge, it is a known issue in Exchange 2013 CU4 and has been resolved in CU7. It is recommended to install the latest Exchange version (CU10 currently) in your environment.

Regards,

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Winnie Liang

Tuesday, December 1, 2015 6:49 AM
  • I opened a case with Premier Support, and it evidently was a known bug. Premier Support got back to me rather quickly. Solution posted below.

Troubleshooting Steps/Resolution:

===========================

• Checked move request logs and it states “Fatal error CorruptNamedPropDataException has occurred”.
    • Checked move request.
    • Rerun move requests by specifying the following parameters:
      • Get-MoveRequest "User" | Set-MoveRequest -SkipMoving KnownCorruptions,FolderPromotedProperties
    • Resumed move request and it completed successfully.
      • Get-MoveRequest "User" | Resume-MoveRequest
    • Issue resolved.

Related Articles:

=============

• Mailbox moves in Exchange 2013: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj150543(v=exchg.150).aspx
    Managing failed mailbox move requests: http://blogs.technet.com/b/mikehall/archive/2013/08/06/3588777.aspx

Wednesday, December 2, 2015 3:51 PM
  • Hi Winnie, this is what it was. We are on SP1 CU4, and behind on our CU's. We had some miscommunication between myself and the Server WSUS guy. At some point after we migrated to 2013, the WSUS guy stopped deploying Exchange CU's because they didn't play well with Symantec Backup Exec, and the update releases were never turned back on. Later this week, after our backups settle down, the plan is to get the Exchange Environment caught up on CU's.
    Wednesday, December 2, 2015 3:56 PM
  • Hi,

I came across this issue to. Updating the move request solved the issue.

Regards,

Christos

Monday, October 23, 2017 11:43 AM
  • Hi,

Regards,

Winnie Liang

-SkipMoving is not valid anymore. Use -MoveOptions with these options: SkipFolderRules, SkipFolderACLs, SkipFolderPromotedProperties, SkipFolderViews, SkipFolderRestrictions, SkipContentVerification, BlockFinalization, FailOnFirstBadItem, 
    SkipKnownCorruptions, FailOnCorruptSyncState, BlockSameMajorVersionMove, MoveWithinTrustedBoundary, SkipPerObjectIndex""

weiker

• Proposed as answer by weiker Tuesday, April 30, 2019 8:55 AM
    Tuesday, April 30, 2019 8:54 AM
  • 10/8/2019

Kind of funny. We had two mailboxes in a migration to O365 that failed with the same error. I had found this posting but opened a case with Microsoft Premier any way to see if they had a better solution. The answer I received from Premier was a copy and paste of xXMorganXx's solution posted below using -SkipMoving.

We decided to proceed with it but it failed. The error messages said -SkipMoving was deprecated and to use -MoveOptions instead.

Set-MoveRequest -MoveOptions skipKnownCorruptions,skipFolderPromotedProperties'

The allowed values are:

SkipFolderRules
    SkipFolderACLs
    SkipFolderPromotedProperties
    SkipFolderViews
    SkipFolderRestrictions
    SkipContentVerification
    BlockFinalization
    FailOnFirstBadItem
    SkipKnownCorruptions
    FailOnCorruptSyncState

Using the -MoveOptions switch worked and we were able to move both mailboxes.

So, Premier sent me the solution from a blog post and that was even out of date. Got to love Premier support. 

Tuesday, October 8, 2019 1:20 PM