App-v 4.6: cannot find the file specified RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Please see my previous post.

In short: an application needs Internet Explorer activex, then a plugin for Excel. My App-v package is working (Internet Explorer opening), but the Excel plugin does not work. It says "cannot find the file specified".
    I copied the excel shortcut from start menu to q:\packagename.

Please advise.
    J.

Jan Hoedt

In .osd file of Excel plugin, there is the following:

<CODEBASE HREF="RTSP://%SFT_SOFTGRIDSERVER%:554/WindowsX64/Application/1.0/excelplugin.sft" GUID="9FA88591-089E-4E57-89D5-C23239E83238" PARAMETERS="" FILENAME="%CSIDL_PROGRAM_FILES%\Microsoft Office\Office12\EXCEL.EXE" SYSGUARDFILE="applic.001\osguard.cp" SIZE="305879730"/>
            <WORKINGDIR>%CSIDL_PROGRAM_FILES%\Microsoft Office\Office12</WORKINGDIR>

The CSIDL_PROGRAM_FILES%, is that correct? If not, can I change it and how? Should I then reimport the package?

---

I might have found a solution but please advise:

http://blog.gridmetric.com/2011/09/26/possible-caveats-in-mixing-32-bit-and-64-bit-app-v-packages-and-environments/

Office is x86, so I probably should change the %CSIDL_Programfiles% to %programfiles(x86)%?

• Edited by janhoedt Tuesday, January 7, 2014 10:35 AM update
    Tuesday, January 7, 2014 10:24 AM

Answers

• Changing CSIDL_PROGRAM_FILES to  %programfiles(x86)% is worth a try.

A common reason for that 'cannot find the file..' error message also often can be resolved by removing the Workingdir entry (<WORKINGDIR></WORKINGDIR>  or just <WORKINGDIR/>.

The way to apply the change depends on your deployment scenario. With an App-V Management Server (and for a test packae) you could modify (a copy of) the original .OSD file in the content share. Make sure you save with 'save as' and then 'Unicode'. Then re-initiate a Server Refresh from the client, that should download the new OSD.

You also could - if it is permitted - create a copy of the client-local copy of the OSD file (you can figure that out with the Client Management Console). Double-Clicking that modified copy could do the trick.

If you use another deployment method (SCCM, MSI) you would need to moify the OSD file using the App-V Sequencer.

Whatever method you use during troubleshooting: For the 'final' pacage you should open the original package on the Sequencer ('Edit'), make the changes there and re-save + re-deploy the package. This makes sure that all information is consitent across the various App-V files

Falko

Twitter @kirk_tn   |   Blog kirxblog   |   Web kirx.org   |   Fireside appvbook.com

• Marked as answer by janhoedt Tuesday, January 7, 2014 3:29 PM
    Tuesday, January 7, 2014 1:30 PM

All replies

• Changing CSIDL_PROGRAM_FILES to  %programfiles(x86)% is worth a try.

A common reason for that 'cannot find the file..' error message also often can be resolved by removing the Workingdir entry (<WORKINGDIR></WORKINGDIR>  or just <WORKINGDIR/>.

The way to apply the change depends on your deployment scenario. With an App-V Management Server (and for a test packae) you could modify (a copy of) the original .OSD file in the content share. Make sure you save with 'save as' and then 'Unicode'. Then re-initiate a Server Refresh from the client, that should download the new OSD.

You also could - if it is permitted - create a copy of the client-local copy of the OSD file (you can figure that out with the Client Management Console). Double-Clicking that modified copy could do the trick.

If you use another deployment method (SCCM, MSI) you would need to moify the OSD file using the App-V Sequencer.

Whatever method you use during troubleshooting: For the 'final' pacage you should open the original package on the Sequencer ('Edit'), make the changes there and re-save + re-deploy the package. This makes sure that all information is consitent across the various App-V files

Falko

Twitter @kirk_tn   |   Blog kirxblog   |   Web kirx.org   |   Fireside appvbook.com

• Marked as answer by janhoedt Tuesday, January 7, 2014 3:29 PM
    Tuesday, January 7, 2014 1:30 PM
  • Are you getting getting this error launching the shortcut pointing to Excel or are you getting this after Excel launches?

Did you sequence this on a 64-bit machine or on a 32-bit machine? What Operating System will the users who get this app be using? e.g. 64-bit, 32-bit? I ask because, when you created the shortcut for Office it should populate the value for you. I'd guess you sequence on a 32-bit machine and tested on 64-bit?

Try sequencing on a 64-bit machine which has Office 32-bit installed.

PLEASE MARK ANY ANSWERS TO HELP OTHERS Blog: rorymon.com Twitter: @Rorymon

Tuesday, January 7, 2014 1:35 PM
  • Sequencer has only C:-drive whereas terminal server (on which the application) an E-drive where Excel resides. Though setting shortcut to E 's Excel does not solve the problem.

Excel and Internet explorer are in the same package but different OSD-s. The Excel now starts correctly but cannot see the Internet explorer package.
    However, the workaround: installing physically the plugin on the terminal server works fine (though the application should be open to work).

Is there a way to make the excel plugin osd see the internet explorer osd?

Jan Hoedt

Tuesday, January 7, 2014 1:52 PM
  • If both OSDs belong to the same App-V package, all applications run in the same virtual environemt on the client.

If you sequenced the IE shortcut+plugin and the Excel shortcut in different Sequencer sessions, they are different packages and can not see each other.

One way would be to combine the two pacakges using 'Dynamic Suite Composition' http://blogs.technet.com/b/appv/archive/2008/09/24/how-to-dynamically-suite-two-application-packages-using-app-v-4-5-and-dsc.aspx and http://blogs.technet.com/b/appv/archive/2008/11/03/application-virtualization-dynamic-suite-composition-tool.aspx

or to create one package that contains both shortcuts. Can you post both OSD files? (maybe override sesnisitve information like server names)

Falko

Wednesday, January 8, 2014 8:27 AM
  • Thanks Falko!

However, both shortcuts do belong to the same sequencer session though the Excel plugin can't see the IE package.

So what I did (started sequencer):

1.ran IE link http://theapplication which runs an activex
    2.copy shortcut of http://theapplication to q:\theapplication\
    3.install Excel plugin
    4.shortcut to e:\program files\office 12\excel.exe in q:\theapplication

The app-v package runs on an terminal server. It runs correctly but when launching excel and using the plugin, it says it cannot find the IE application.

Thanks for your input.
    J.

Jan Hoedt

Wednesday, January 8, 2014 8:56 AM