none
Remove server from "All Servers" group in Server Manager RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I added a 2008 R2 server on Server Manager (on Windows 8 from RSAT). I would like to remove this server again from the All Servers group[1] because every ten minutes Server Manager tries to connect to this server (which is not even online) and marks the failure with a big fat red exclamation mark.

Unfortunately it seems as Microsoft allows to add servers but forgot an option to remove a server. I right and left clicked everywhere, searched the web and the help file without success.

It seems ridiculous to ask but how do I remove a server from server manager?!?

Thorsten
    [1] I cannot manage this server without installing .NET Framework 4.0 and Windows Management Framework 3.0.

Saturday, September 29, 2012 6:44 AM

All replies

• Hi,

If you are under All Servers dashboard, you may right click on the server which you want to remove and select “Remove Server”. If you want to remove a server from a Server Group, you may right click on the server which you want to remove and select “Remove Server from Group”.

Please note, you cannot remove the current server from the All Servers dashboard.

Regards,

Arthur Li

TechNet Subscriber Support

If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Arthur Li

TechNet Community Support

Monday, October 1, 2012 7:54 AM
  • * Arthur_Li (Mon, 1 Oct 2012 07:54:18 +0000)

If you are under All Servers dashboard, you may right click on the server which you want to remove and select “Remove Server”. If you want to remove a server from a Server Group, you may right click on the server which you want to remove and select “Remove Server from Group”.

I have only "Dashboard" (on the left) which shows "WELCOME TO SERVER MANAGER" and "ROLES AND SERVER GROUPS" to the right, and ALL SERVERS which shows "SERVERS", "EVENTS", "SERVICES", "BEST PRACTICEs ANALYZER", "PERFORMANCE" and "ROLES AND FEATURES" to the right.

Please note, you cannot remove the current server from the All Servers dashboard.

Sorry, what is the "current server"? I'm running Server Manager on Windows 8 and right clicking on any added servers does not show up a context menu at all - while right clicking on "All Servers" for instance shows "Add Server" context menu.

Shift+F10 on "All Servers" shows the same as right clicking on it - while Shift+F10 on any server in the All Servers group crashed Server Manager. Seems like a classic bug in RSAT Server Manager to me...!!

Thorsten

Monday, October 1, 2012 10:07 AM
  • So there is no solution to this??

I am having the same issue as the OP. Running Server Manager from a Win8 Pro machine I do not get any menu when right-clicking on a server. And when I right-click on 'All Servers" I only get the option to add a server, but not remove. (I have 2 servers in the Manager, trying to remove 1 of them)

I cannot believe there is no way to remove a server- someone please tell me what I am missing here!

Thanks in advance :-)

Tuesday, April 9, 2013 5:41 AM
  • It´s the same here. RSAT Tools under Windows 8 x64. I too only have the Add Server and Refresh option. Also I don´t have the "Manage As" option as described in Technet. I feel pretty stupid asking this question, but it seems I´m not alone :-)

Tuesday, April 9, 2013 2:09 PM
  • Don't feel bad I have the same issue.  Ludicrous that there is not right click remove option.
    Wednesday, June 19, 2013 12:47 PM
  • You can manually remove server from

c:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\ServerManager\ServerList.xml

• Proposed as answer by Ivan Stus Saturday, June 22, 2013 9:29 AM
    Saturday, June 22, 2013 9:29 AM
  • Nice find!

I haven't had a chance to test it out yet but it sounds promising...

Saturday, June 22, 2013 7:09 PM
  • just to add, based on what Ivan posted, I was able to find a reference to the ServerList.xml file here:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh831456.aspx

(under section "Export Server Manager settings to other computers")

• Proposed as answer by Atamidos Monday, August 11, 2014 6:44 PM
    Saturday, June 22, 2013 7:14 PM
  • If you want to remove all servers please remove the server manager from Remote Server Administration Tool feature and delete the server manager folder from C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\ or delete the serverlist.XML --> again add server manager feature.

If you partially delete any server then remove the feature --> modify the serverlist.XML (Delete the server info tag based on name you want to remove) --> Add the feature again.

If you found this one helpful then vote .......

Friday, December 13, 2013 2:37 PM
  • btw - it is now 18 months after the OP reported this problem.

I can verify that on my fully patched Windows 8.1 workstation running the latest "Remote Server Administration Tools for Windows 8.1" it is all still the same: Alt-F10 crashes the Server Manager and there is no way to remove a server from the list without finding and manually editing the XML file.

Guess I will have to wait for the Windows 10 version of the RSAT to get full functionality.

Wednesday, March 25, 2015 11:11 PM
  • I added RDS Farm servers to Server Manager on W8.1.

By mistake entered APPV sql server name to server pool instead of RDS SQL server.

And no right click for removing unnecessary server. IN RDS deployment it properly shows just RDS servers.

May be today somebody can suggest the clean way to remove unneeded server.

Is it "by design" no Remove option now?  I saw some screen shots on web and there is a menu with remove option when right clicking on the selected server.

--- When you hit a wrong note its the next note that makes it good or bad. --- Miles Davis

Friday, May 8, 2015 5:09 PM
  • That's incredible that you have the option to add and not the option to remove, only if you edit an xml file.
    Saturday, October 8, 2016 4:09 PM
  • There's no such "Remove Server" option when right clicking the only way to remove is editing the xml as Ivan answered.
    Saturday, October 8, 2016 4:14 PM
  • I found the solution. Actually I'm using a Win 2019 server, but I suppose it's the same in at least Win 2012 and Win 2016 server.

--> Go to: All Servers

--> The first box is named SERVERS. Here you can find the list of the connected server.

--> Right click on the server you want to remove and select the option: REMOVE SERVER.

Done.

Please vote if you think this is the right solution.

Thursday, March 14, 2019 9:03 AM
  • It worked for me. Thank you.
    Wednesday, August 21, 2019 10:35 AM