Error message while trying to import data - Outlook 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• I am having a difficult time setting up Outlook 2010.  I've been able to send but not receive POP3 email messages, and in trying to troubleshoot the problem, I found that my Outlook Data File is an Outlook 97-2002 file!  While this worked fine with Outlook 2007, it won't with 2010

In trying to follow instructions in Outlook 2010 Help for ...'increase the storage capacity of Outlook Data files (.pst) from Outlook 97-2002', I successfully completed the steps for 'create a data file', but when I attempt to 'import items to the new data file'  a big red X comes up with the following error message:

"Microsoft Outlook cannot start the Import/Export engine.  This feature is not available.  To make this feature available run 'Setup' again, click 'Add or Remove features' and change the feature to 'Run from My Computer'

I don't understand what this error message means or how to proceed.

Monday, August 13, 2012 11:28 PM

Answers

• Thank you, Rex.  I didn't have a standalone version of Outlook (that I was aware of), but it seems I had a seriously screwed up version; it was getting some of the errors that one would get with a click-to-run version of Outlook!  Anyway, I uninstalled and reinstalled Office 2010, and the import/export functionality has been restored.
    • Marked as answer by Rex Zhang Monday, August 20, 2012 1:35 AM
    Wednesday, August 15, 2012 2:44 AM

All replies

• Hi,

It seems you have installed a standalone version of Outlook on a computer which you have an Office 2010 suite installed previously. Since the Outlook is a part of the previously installed Office 2010 suite, there is no need to install a standalone version again. Try uninstalling the standalone version and then install the Outlook program via the installation CD/DVD of the suite instead.
    More information here:
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2010-outlook/the-importexport-button-is-disabled/4eb53267-9944-40ce-8f43-96b46a45218a
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2491363

Sincerely
    Rex Zhang

Rex Zhang

TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, August 15, 2012 1:34 AM
  • Thank you, Rex.  I didn't have a standalone version of Outlook (that I was aware of), but it seems I had a seriously screwed up version; it was getting some of the errors that one would get with a click-to-run version of Outlook!  Anyway, I uninstalled and reinstalled Office 2010, and the import/export functionality has been restored.
    • Marked as answer by Rex Zhang Monday, August 20, 2012 1:35 AM
    Wednesday, August 15, 2012 2:44 AM