none
Download Speed starts high then drops rapidly until cable is unplugged/plugged RRS feed

• Question

• PC card connected to modem via router. Download speed dropped from 67(Mbps) to 2. When I replaced the cable, speed went back up to 67. I thought I had discovered the problem and tossed the old cable. Next morning, speed back down to 2. Tried every possible software and hardware variation with no effect until I powered down (as I had done several times previously), only this time, I unplugged the cable from the PC and plugged it back in. Download Speed initially back to 67. One hour later it was 22. This morning after a powered down reboot, it was down to 2. 

Known: If I power down, unplug the cable and plug it right back in, download speed will at first be 67; and then it will gradually drop into the basement. The upload speed remains constant at 4 which is okay.

What if I install a USB 3.0 card, then plug an external WiFi adapter in that takes advantage of the 3.0? Could I just forget about the internal modem card and/or remove it? The factory modem card is identified as 

Interface: PCI 2.2; Data transfer speeds: up to 56 kbps for V.92 connection; That's all the specs have to say about it. HP DESKTOP  a6437c, Product# KJ400AA-ABA, running Windows Vista Home Premium flawlessly for just about 7 years.

Friday, June 26, 2015 7:04 PM