none
Grant all folder access permission RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

From time to time I got request to grant someone access permission to all folders in another mailbox.  Many of them have created their own folders either under Inbox or at the same level as Inbox.  We are using Exchange 2016 on-prem.  I used the script from here,  https://practical365.com/exchange-server/grant-read-access-exchange-mailbox/#comment-218611.  It worked fine but won't grant access to the folders in In-Place Archive mailbox.  

I also found this one https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/Office-365-Set-mailbox-af5f3d21#content but haven't tried yet because it was written for O365.  In this script it shows:

$includedfolders = @("Root","Inbox","Calendar""Contacts""DeletedItems""Drafts""JunkEmail""Journal""Notes""Outbox""SentItems""Tasks""CommunicatorHistory""Clutter""Archive"

So I think it only applies the permission to those standard folders, not user created folders at the same level of Inbox, correct?

Is there a script which will let me apply permissions, e.g. Reviewer to all folders in both main mailbox and archive mailbox if there is one?

Thanks,

Thursday, July 11, 2019 9:18 PM

All replies

• Hi,

From time to time I got request to grant someone access permission to all folders in another mailbox.  Many of them have created their own folders either under Inbox or at the same level as Inbox.  We are using Exchange 2016 on-prem.  I used the script from here,  https://practical365.com/exchange-server/grant-read-access-exchange-mailbox/#comment-218611.  It worked fine but won't grant access to the folders in In-Place Archive mailbox.  

I also found this one https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/Office-365-Set-mailbox-af5f3d21#content but haven't tried yet because it was written for O365.  In this script it shows:

$includedfolders = @("Root","Inbox","Calendar""Contacts""DeletedItems""Drafts""JunkEmail""Journal""Notes""Outbox""SentItems""Tasks""CommunicatorHistory""Clutter""Archive"

So I think it only applies the permission to those standard folders, not user created folders at the same level of Inbox, correct?

Is there a script which will let me apply permissions, e.g. Reviewer to all folders in both main mailbox and archive mailbox if there is one?

Thanks,

Why not just give them full mailbox access? 

Add-MailboxPermission -Identity "Terry Adams" -User "Kevin Kelly" -AccessRights FullAccess -InheritanceType All

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/module/exchange/mailboxes/add-mailboxpermission?view=exchange-ps
    Thursday, July 11, 2019 10:48 PM
  • I know the author of that script, cool guy :P

@Chris, it should work OK for 2016, although I haven't extensively tested it for older versions. User-created folders are included by default. The list above represents "default" folders to include, changing the values there wont impact any user-created folder.

As for Archive mailbox, folder-level permissions wont work there. The only way to access the archive mailbox for another user is to have the mailbox auto-mapped in Outlook or opened directly in OWA, both of which require Full Access permissions.

Friday, July 12, 2019 8:16 AM
  • Hi ChrisD, 

As Andy David said, If you want to access other mailbox's all folder(included archive folder), you just need to give this mailbox's full access permission to you.

Regards,

Kyle Xu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Friday, July 12, 2019 8:54 AM
  • Hi,

I am writing here to confirm with you how thing going now?

If the above suggestion helps, please be free to mark it as an answer for helping more people.

Regards,

Kyle Xu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Monday, July 15, 2019 5:52 AM
  • I can add the archive mailbox to the user's Outlook.  But my instruction is to only grant "Reviewer" permission to all folders in the main mailbox and archive mailbox.  The reason with read only to the folders is not to delete or move any emails.  So according to answer you and others provide there is no other option other than Full access.  But can I just grant Full access to archive mailbox, not the main mailbox?  I can't find the option from EAC or EMS.  The Full access will apply to both mailboxes.

Thanks,

Monday, July 15, 2019 11:12 PM
  • I can add the archive mailbox to the user's Outlook.  But my instruction is to only grant "Reviewer" permission to all folders in the main mailbox and archive mailbox.  The reason with read only to the folders is not to delete or move any emails.  So according to answer you and others provide there is no other option other than Full access.  But can I just grant Full access to archive mailbox, not the main mailbox?  I can't find the option from EAC or EMS.  The Full access will apply to both mailboxes.

Thanks,

Correct. Full access will apply to both primary and archive. You can't give it to only the archive or vice versa.

Monday, July 15, 2019 11:27 PM
  • Another quick question.  In the O365 script it has folder "Archive" and "Clutter".  Vasil mentioned that all user-created folders are included by default.  I think it might be due to the "Root" folder in the list.  If so why "Archive" and "Clutter" need to be included to the list?  For me both seems to be user-created.

Thanks,

Tuesday, July 16, 2019 9:14 PM
  • They are "default" folders, not user-created.
    Wednesday, July 17, 2019 5:18 AM
  • Any about this thread now?

If the above suggestion helps, please be free to mark it as an answer for helping more people.

Regards,

Kyle Xu

Thursday, July 18, 2019 7:59 AM