mssdmn.exe stuck at 100% CPU usage

Question

• Hi

After a successful crawl the mssdmn.exe gets stuck on 50% CPU usage.
    After 2 crawls the mssdmn uses 100% CPU.

A temporary solution is to restart the "Office Sharepoint Server Search" service. But the problem will occur as soon as it runs another crawl.

The only error i find in the Event Viewer is (don't know if its relatet to this problem):

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: Office Server Search
    Event Category: Gatherer
    Event ID: 10036
    Date:  1/14/2009
    Time:  9:30:25 AM
    User:  N/A
    Computer: X-X-X-X
    Description:
    A database error occurred.

Source: Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server
    Code: 11 occurred 1 time(s)
    Description: [DBNETLIB][ConnectionRead (recv()).]General network error. Check your network documentation.

Friday, January 16, 2009 9:26 AM

Answers

• Hi,

We fixed a issue regarding to mssdmn.exe in the SharePoint Server 2007 and SharePoint Server 2007 for Search post-2007 Office servers Service Pack 1 hotfix package: January 31, 2008 (http://support.microsoft.com/KB/941274), Here is the issue description for your information:

A full crawl to crawl .pdf files may stop unexpectedly when an .ocn file is embedded in a .pdf file

When a full crawl is performed to crawl .pdf files in a SharePoint Server 2007 site collection, the crawl may stop unexpectedly. Additionally, CPU usage may increase to 100 percent. This issue may occur when an .ocn file is embedded in a .pdf file.

I suggest you to apply the hotfix if you haven’t.

As we have reported the CPU usage problem if crawling PDF documents, I suggest you contacted Adobe and installed the latest PDF iFilter.

If this is not the cause of your issue, please let me know your more information about your farm in order to do further research:

1.    Your SharePoint product version.

2.    The detailed settings in Central Administration > Operations > Services on Server > Office SharePoint Server Search Service Settings  

Let me know the result if possible.

-lambert

Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Monday, January 19, 2009 5:19 AM

All replies

• Hi,

there's a KB for this:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/900390

and this:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308797

(if you are running SQL 2000).

Cheers,
    Daniel Bugday

Web: SharePoint Forum Blog: Daniel Bugday's SharePoint Blog

Friday, January 16, 2009 10:12 AM
  • Hi Daniel

Thanks for the reply.

Im running SQL Server 2005. So I guess that wont work.
    Friday, January 16, 2009 10:16 AM
  • Hi,

We fixed a issue regarding to mssdmn.exe in the SharePoint Server 2007 and SharePoint Server 2007 for Search post-2007 Office servers Service Pack 1 hotfix package: January 31, 2008 (http://support.microsoft.com/KB/941274), Here is the issue description for your information:

A full crawl to crawl .pdf files may stop unexpectedly when an .ocn file is embedded in a .pdf file

When a full crawl is performed to crawl .pdf files in a SharePoint Server 2007 site collection, the crawl may stop unexpectedly. Additionally, CPU usage may increase to 100 percent. This issue may occur when an .ocn file is embedded in a .pdf file.

I suggest you to apply the hotfix if you haven’t.

As we have reported the CPU usage problem if crawling PDF documents, I suggest you contacted Adobe and installed the latest PDF iFilter.

If this is not the cause of your issue, please let me know your more information about your farm in order to do further research:

1.    Your SharePoint product version.

2.    The detailed settings in Central Administration > Operations > Services on Server > Office SharePoint Server Search Service Settings  

Let me know the result if possible.

-lambert

Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Monday, January 19, 2009 5:19 AM
  • Hi,

Will try and get a "go" on installing that patch.
    I'll let you know.
    Monday, January 19, 2009 8:42 AM
  • it is not possible to download the x86 version of the hotfix. the selection only shows and allows to download the x64 version.
    Wednesday, February 04, 2009 3:00 PM
  • You have to Click on "Select hotfix" and then Click on "Show hotfixes for all platforms and languages" then you can see X86 patch.
    Thursday, June 30, 2011 6:37 PM