Detection rule for Office 365 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I'm about to create a application for Office 365 in Configuration Manager 2012 R2.

I've seen recommendation to look for %programfiles%\Microsoft Office 15\root\Office15. But will that not break when office is upgraded on the client?

In registry I've HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\O365ProPlusRetail - en-us. And for the looks of it I cannot use this if a user decides to download and install a different version than en-us.

Any idea on what detection rule I should use for Office 365 that works for next versions of Office 365 (office 2015)?

Thursday, December 18, 2014 8:11 AM

Answers

• Using folder check for "%programfiles%\Microsoft Office 15\root\Office15", might be a bad idea.
    You need to use the full path to WINWORD.exe or something.

If you install Visio using Office 365 it will end up in the same folder, and that will make wrong detection of the application!

You don't have to worry about the version of Office when running Office 365, but you can get the version directly from the WINWORD.exe if you for some reason wants to use it...

I would recommend that you don't check for the version though.

Ronni Pedersen | Microsoft MVP - ConfigMgr | Blogs: www.ronnipedersen.com/ and www.SCUG.dk/ | Twitter @ronnipedersen

Thursday, December 18, 2014 12:09 PM

All replies

• have seen the deployment with detection method %programfiles%\Microsoft Office 15\root\Office15 for Office 365 and it works well. Office 2015 is yet to be released ,no info about the folder structure . 

Eswar Koneti | Configmgr blog: www.eskonr.com | Linkedin: Eswar Koneti | Twitter: Eskonr

Thursday, December 18, 2014 8:30 AM
  • Using folder check for "%programfiles%\Microsoft Office 15\root\Office15", might be a bad idea.
    You need to use the full path to WINWORD.exe or something.

If you install Visio using Office 365 it will end up in the same folder, and that will make wrong detection of the application!

You don't have to worry about the version of Office when running Office 365, but you can get the version directly from the WINWORD.exe if you for some reason wants to use it...

I would recommend that you don't check for the version though.

Ronni Pedersen | Microsoft MVP - ConfigMgr | Blogs: www.ronnipedersen.com/ and www.SCUG.dk/ | Twitter @ronnipedersen

Thursday, December 18, 2014 12:09 PM