none
Setting a Major Version Limit on a Library With a Large Number of Items Causes System to Become Unresponsive When An Item Is Updated RRS feed

• Question

• I had a document library with unlimited versioning enabled and frequent updates to a couple documents.  In the interest of better space management I set the Major Version Limit to 25.  There were 250 versions of one 13 mb document.  When the first update to that document occurred this morning, the system became unresponsive for all users for a number of minutes until all current users recieved the ever helpful "An error has occurred" page.

During the unresponsive period there was no significant resource usage on the front end server or database server.  CPU below 10% and no paging on both servers. 

I "successfully' recreated the condition on my test server which has a recent copy of the production data.

There are no relevaant Application or System Event Log entries on any production or test servers.

Environment:

64 Bit Server 2003 R2

MOSS 2007 SP3 [Microsoft.SharePoint.DLL version 12.0.6608.1000]

SQL 2008 19.0.5500

David McKenzie

Thursday, August 16, 2012 9:18 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for your question.

I am trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this issue. There might be some time delay. Appreciate your patience.

Thank you for your understanding and support.

Regards,

Xue-Mei Change

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contacttnmff@microsoft.com.

Xue-mei Chang

TechNet Community Support

Friday, August 17, 2012 9:09 AM
  • Hello,

Any update?

David McKenzie

Thursday, August 30, 2012 8:22 PM
  • I'm guessing it was your SQL Server that was weeping as it tried to delete all those records from the content database (which doesn't happen until the update occurs).  Your front end server was just twiddling its thumbs waiting for SQL to unlock.  I would check your SQL logs and see what complaints it has for you.

Some products like ControlPoint offer a way to clear out old versions on demand without item updates, which would allow you to at least schedule the deletion to occur during an outage window.  You could also create a powershell script to do something similar.

Another way to work around this behavior would be to more gradually reduce the version limit on the offending library so that a smaller amount of versioned data is deleted with the item updates.

Wednesday, September 5, 2012 3:29 PM
  • While I appreciate the spirit of community participation, the only answer I have received thus far is a guess that SharePoint does a really poor job of serialization, coupled with a third-party product recomendation (for a really good product, BTW).

I expected something a little better from a Microsoft Managed Technet Account.

Answering a question with "I'll get back to you" within 24 hours, then never following through is not, in my mind, of ANY benefit aned should not be listed as such with a TechNet subscription.

</rant>

David McKenzie

Wednesday, September 12, 2012 9:14 PM
  • Hello David,

It is possible the delete of the major versions could have put a load (CPU / Memory / Disk / Network) and environment got into the unresponsiveness. As suggested in the earlier post gradually reducing the version limit helps... Its not feasible to pinpoint exact cause without looking into logs / perf data which isnt feasible thru Forums.

You can also use OM code approach...
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/forums/en-us/sharepointadmin/thread/53694860-2A7C-4BFB-BA1F-3B8B17C031B9

Please remember to click 'Mark as Answer' on the post that helps you or click 'Unmark as Answer' if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Regards,
    Nishant Shah
    Microsoft Online Community Support

Thursday, September 13, 2012 3:44 PM