none
Can't Update Policy after DirectAccess

Question

• We had an active directory network that was perfectly working. We decided to deploy DirectAccess. That's where everything went wrong!

1st Mistake: Applied DirectAccess to all computers including Windows 10 Pro and Education editions.

2nd Mistake: Deployed DirectAccess to the default domain policy.

After everything was set up the DirectAccess server and any other client in the domain were unable to connect to the domain controller. After that, we destroyed the DirectAccess server, without fully removing DirectAccess because it wasn't able to connect to the domain controller. We then realized the DirectAccess removed our network configuration of connecting to the IP of the domain controller, so we reconfigured that. 

The clients that had Windows 10 Pro were able to connect to the domain controller and update policy. They weren't affected as bad since DirectAccess doesn't work on Windows 10 Pro.

But, the clients with Windows 10 Education are still unable to connect and update policy since DirectAccess was fully applied to those clients since DirectAccess is supported on Education edition.

Another problem is for every client, including those with Pro and Education edition, when they boot up it says, Connecting to Workplace and doesn't apply policy at startup

So now I don't know what I can do. Is there a way to remove the DirectAccess configuration from the group policy? I have a backup before we applied DirectAccess, but if I restore that how will it affect the clients, will I need to reset every one of them and rejoin the domain? I'm in a big mess now and help asap will be much help!

• Edited by nlogozzo Wednesday, November 08, 2017 11:50 AM
    Wednesday, November 08, 2017 11:48 AM

All replies