Windows 10 VPN at Windows Login, Icon not showing RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

a friend and I have been banging our heads with an issue.

the issue is, we can set up a VPN connection in windows 10, we can connect to the remote site (Draytek) when logged in to windows.

we want to have the VPN connect at the login screen so that the domain credentials can be used by the logging on user.

Ctrl+Alt+Del is enabled as its domain joined, during setting up a dial up connection over our existing connection using the VPN created and tested previously. we have selected the allow other users to use this connection to connect to a workplace using my internet.

what we expect to see is the following but it is not visible. so cannot connect before login.

Any help from past experience is appreciated in advance.

Wednesday, January 25, 2017 1:12 PM

All replies

• Hello

open the Settings menu and go to Personalization > Lock screen > Choose an app to show detailed status or Choose apps to show quick statuses. You can then click or tap a box to pick an app.

Regards, Regin Ravi

i fail to see how this is useful as it is a dial up connection not an app.
    Wednesday, January 25, 2017 2:02 PM
  • Hi Eddie563,

The main issue is that the VPN connection icon is no longer available on the login UI, right? Are there any error messages recorded in the Event Viewer(Windows Logs\Applications, System)? Did the issue occur with other machine in the domain?

According to my test, that icon will be available automatically when we add a VPN connection.
    We could try to remove the VPN connection then re-add it.
    That icon is belonged to the metro UI, try to open a powershell command line and run "Get-AppXPackage | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}" to register all the store apps including the UI.

As a workaround, we could create a task schedule to establish the VPN connection during startup. Run the task under system account and with highest privileges.
    rasdial "VPN name" "username" “password”

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, January 26, 2017 6:09 AM
  • Hi Eddie563,

The main issue is that the VPN connection icon is no longer available on the login UI, right? Are there any error messages recorded in the Event Viewer(Windows Logs\Applications, System)? Did the issue occur with other machine in the domain?

According to my test, that icon will be available automatically when we add a VPN connection.
    We could try to remove the VPN connection then re-add it.
    That icon is belonged to the metro UI, try to open a powershell command line and run "Get-AppXPackage | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}" to register all the store apps including the UI.

As a workaround, we could create a task schedule to establish the VPN connection during startup. Run the task under system account and with highest privileges.
    rasdial "VPN name" "username" “password”

Best regards

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

thanks for your reply. on a windows 10 pro on another domain, it is possible and has been confirmed. we have also tested this with a machine not on a domain and it was not possible.

the VPN has been removed and re-created on a number of occasions with no success. i have now linked my friend into this thread so once he reads this, he will carry out your powershell suggestion.

the workaround would not work as the user wishes to be able to use the VPN when required and not actually all the time. it only needs to be used when requiring logging on to the domain, any other time, the user may simply be using the client to connect to the internet on a home or customer site.

your input is appreciated. thank you.

Thursday, January 26, 2017 8:09 AM
  • Thanks Eddie for starting this thread (in fact I did the same in the Microsoft community earlier).

To add more flesh to the subject. Eddie and I were testing fresh Windows installs in a VM (to discount any post install issues). The main VM was pre-Anniversary Windows 10 Pro (same build as OP used for screen grabs of it working), and an Anniversary update Enterprise install. In both VM's the icon failed to show on the lock screen.

As a test I used a CMDLET to create the VPN, which alas had the same result:

Add-VpnConnection -Name MY_VPN_SERVER -ServerAddress MY_VPN_SERVER -AllUserConnection $true -SplitTunneling $true -AuthenticationMethod MSChapv2 -TunnelType Automatic -EncryptionLevel Required -PassThru 
    I'll try the powershell command in a moment, but as Eddie said, a startup task is not a viable solution.
    Thursday, January 26, 2017 9:16 AM
  • If I enter the below in PS it just comes up with a prompt (>>)?

PS C:\Windows\system32> Get-AppXPackage | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml

Thursday, January 26, 2017 9:22 AM
  • Hi Eddie563,

So the issue occurred with the newly created machine?
    It weired. I tested on a Windows 10.14393.693 machine. The issue didn`t occur on my side. Please update to the latest version then check the symptom again.

Best regards

Friday, January 27, 2017 5:39 AM
  • Yes, the issue occurs on the host machine, and each newly created VM (Pro & Enterprise).

The host workstation is on Windows 10.14393.693 and for sure it does not work here. My workstation however, is not connected to the domain (I'm just doing this for testing on my own laptop, and in the VM's). Could it be that the VPN will only be on the lock screen if the workstation is a member of the domain?

• Edited by marky9074 Friday, January 27, 2017 1:50 PM
    Friday, January 27, 2017 1:47 PM
  • I have no problem with somebody logging in remotely to see (and work on the VM''s) if anybody has any ideas.
    Friday, January 27, 2017 1:49 PM
  • it all seems strange mark that this cannot be pinpointed.
    Monday, January 30, 2017 11:41 AM
  • I'm surprised nobody has (independently) confirmed this, given we have proven it repeatedly.
    Tuesday, January 31, 2017 11:56 AM
  • If I enter the below in PS it just comes up with a prompt (>>)?

Did you figure it out?  You didn't paste closing delimiters, so PowerShell is waiting for you to type them; in this case a quote and a brace.  It was OK to strip the quotes surrounding the whole example.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Tuesday, January 31, 2017 11:17 PM
  • Hi marky9074,

I have tested this issue again. The VPN UI will be available if the machine is joined to the domain but it won`t be available for an local machine. I will submit the issue on my side, you could submit the issue on your side with the "Feedback" hub. I hope it will be fixed in the near future.

Best regards

Monday, February 6, 2017 8:04 AM
  • Hi MeipoXu,

That's good to know, thanks for the help. I hadn't had an opportunity to try on a domain connected machine, but will check it out next time I get a chance.

Thanks again,

Mark

• Edited by marky9074 Friday, March 3, 2017 6:28 PM
    • Proposed as answer by ElenaVe Sunday, December 2, 2018 3:49 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by ElenaVe Sunday, December 2, 2018 3:49 AM
    Tuesday, February 7, 2017 2:22 PM