none
Errors when migrate printers with Printer Migration Wizard / Printbrm RRS feed

• Question

• My friends,

I want to migrate printers(a lot) from a Windows 2003 Server to Windows 2008 Server R2 Standard. I have someproblems that I've been some dificulty and they prevent to do the migration:

First: When migrate with printer migration I receive a message told me the migration had errors and in Event Viewer I have two logs told me that printbrm failed to backup print queue X, Error 0x80070002, system cannot find file specified, event ID 91

Second: When I try to import the file I made with printer migration I received an error told me that Windows could not connect to the registry on Server , please enable the remote registry service on the server, in event viewer with Event ID 49 I have a log told me that printbrm could not load .xml file while restoring print queues from a file, system cannot locate the resource specified.

I check the permissions, stop and start remote registry, repite whole process

If anybody could help me ou have the same errors in migration printers, I would be grateful.

Best Regards

JF

Tuesday, December 20, 2011 5:59 PM

All replies

• Run printbrm from command line and redirect the output to a text file.

The issue can happen if there are invalid references to files in the registry.

For the remote registry issue, make sure that the frewall doesnt block the remote registry connection. On the server make sure that you install any local printer and then SHARE it to expose the spooler endpoint.

You can also use the Process Monitor tool from sysinternals to track which file is missing / not found during migration.

Sumesh P - Microsoft Online Community Support
    Wednesday, December 21, 2011 9:26 AM
  • Thanks for your help, but until now I could not solve this situation, probably because the policies from the company.

I can install a local printer and share it, many options are disabled in firewall, and I don't know if remote registry is or not blocked, in services it's on in both servers. About process monitor I have been used it but it's not easy because there are a lot of information anda I have some dificulty to find out what I really want and need.

At the moment I'm doing an exporting to a txt file.

Thanks for your tips, and If you could do more I would appreciate

Regards

JF

Wednesday, December 21, 2011 10:50 AM
  • First share a local printer on the target.

Make sure you can connect to the registry remotely, you can simply try connecting using regedit.exe

Procmon is easy to use if you filter it down to the two or so processes associated with printbrm.

Wednesday, December 21, 2011 10:54 AM
  • I can share a local printer on the server I want to import file migration

From the server I have done exportation file I could connect to registry remotely bur I cannot access to the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, from server that will do importation, but from the server that will receive a importation file I can connect to registry remotely to both Keys HKLM and HKU.

Wednesday, December 21, 2011 12:01 PM
  • This are the erros I have received when try to import the file to the server

Wednesday, December 21, 2011 12:05 PM
  • I solve que issue of HKLM, but I cannot keep on to do the migration, error is the same Windows could not connect to the registry on machinexxxx, please enable the remote registry on the server, but this service is enable on server, is it possible that is something about account log on the service? Permissions? Trusts?

And about Process Monitor I have filtered to only presents printbrm events, but they are thousands, could you tell where I can find relevant information to solve this issue? Which are the important tabs? Process name? PID? Operation? Path? Result? Detail? ou what I need to find out that help me to solve this?

I would appreciate if anybody could give a hand to solve this issue.

Regards

JF

• Edited by Vangelislx Wednesday, December 21, 2011 3:27 PM
    Wednesday, December 21, 2011 12:58 PM
  • Already If it is not ask for much, Does anybody received this message:

Wednesday, December 21, 2011 3:33 PM
  • Could be related with ports on firewall?

- Remote Registry?

- Remote desktop?

Wednesday, December 21, 2011 3:45 PM
  • Are you running as Admin?

Try running printbrm command line instead of the GUI, it has more troubleshooting info

printbrm -B for backup and then printbrm -R

The tool is in c:\windows\system32\spool\tools

Thursday, December 22, 2011 3:43 AM
  • I am running as Local Admin, but I don't know if I am running as Domain Admin, probably not, and because the internal policies it will maybe dificult

• Edited by Vangelislx Thursday, December 22, 2011 10:37 AM
    Thursday, December 22, 2011 10:04 AM
  • Error when running printbrm command tool

Thursday, December 22, 2011 1:05 PM
  • remove the file from C:\ and put it in a sub directory and re run the command

if you are restoring to the local machine no need to specify -s, it shouldnt harm anyway 

Thursday, December 22, 2011 2:05 PM
  • With Process Monitor, there are a lot of errors, like fast io disallowed, name not found, buffer overflow, name collision, some buffer to small, reparse, no more entries, path not found and bad network name.

For me looks like too much errors, What do you think about it?

But let me better explain the situation:

I have Server 1 and Server 2, I pretend to export a file from server 1 and then import that file in server 2,

I am using Print Management in Server 2 to do both operations, when I do export, the file will be saved in Server 1 or 2? in target server in both situations what server I must put? About it I have already understood where the file goes to and the server name I must put with option -s

When it do backup it ends in 99% although it ends with successfully finished operation, this you could check in my next post in photo.

Sorry so many questions, but I'm trying to understand working of migration

Regards

• Edited by Vangelislx Thursday, December 22, 2011 4:48 PM
    Thursday, December 22, 2011 3:15 PM
  • But unfortunately the error keeps on, probably something related to permissions between servers, I couldn't find and discover a solution

Thursday, December 22, 2011 4:31 PM
  • I had the same problem and was able to solve it by re-installing the driver of the problem printer on the source server.
    Monday, January 23, 2012 4:03 PM
  • I had this issue occur when I had a space in the file name. The file was "Server Printers" renaming the file to "ServerPrinters" actually resolved my issue.
    Monday, June 24, 2013 2:34 PM