none
How to save email addresses to a specific contact group

Question

• I have just changed to Outlook 2010 because I was told that I can save email addresses to a specific contact group.  So in my contacts I have all my friends listed and a GROUP called guest "list".   How do I save certain emails into that one group ????
    Thursday, May 13, 2010 7:03 AM

Answers

• Use the Search box to find people. Don't waste time scrolling up and down the list trying to spot them. Just type a few characters of their name.

Categorize your Friends, Neighbours, Suppliers, etc. Anyone in your Contacts should have one or more category assigned if you have many contacts and want to group them.

Check out the View options, particularly the List views rather than the card views. You can group the list views by category and collapse the categories to make them smaller.

Signatures are for signatures, not boilerplate text. You only get one signature per email. For Boilerplate text use AutoText. Type the text you want and format it as you want in a new message then select the text and click Insert | Text | Quick Parts | AutoText | Save Selection to Auto Text Gallery.

Type a short unique name for this item (make it four characters or longer) and click OK. Now, whenever you type that name, you will see a tooltip containing your boilerplate text. Press Enter when you see it and the text will be inserted.

If you go back to Insert | Text | Quick Parts | AutoText you will see your boilerplate text listed (along with its name to remind you). You can click the item to insert the text. Right-click an item to organise or delete items.

Simon Jones http://pcpro.co.uk
    Saturday, May 15, 2010 8:30 AM

All replies

• Are you talking about receiving an email from a friend and wanting to add their email address to your Contacts folder in the "Friends" category?

If so, right-click the person's name/email address on the received email and click "Add to Outlook Contacts". This creates a new Contact record for this person. Add any extra information if you want then click Contact | Tags | Categorize and click the "Friends" category. If you don't have a "Friends" category then click the All Categories item at the bottom of the list, create a new category (and assign it a colour), tick the box and click OK.

Now when you look in your Contacts folder you'll be able to view in a list "by Category" and see all your friends in one place. If you click the "Friends" category header in that list you can then click Home | Communicate | Email to send an email to all the people in that Category. (You can also type category names in the Search box [EG category:="Friend"] to find all people in that category without having to change the view. The search tools let you just pick the category from the list.)

If this isn't the scenario you were after then please reply with some more detail about what you want to achieve.

Thursday, May 13, 2010 8:40 AM
  • Thanks for taking the time to reply.  I have a guest house, and want to be able to quickly save the email addresses of all our enquiries to one contact group called GUEST LIST.   At the moment I have a list of all my contacts (friends etc) and half way downn the list is GUEST LIST.   At the moment I'm adding each email to that group individually by hand, which not only takes time ... but I may make mistakes.    I open GUEST LIST then type in the name and email address.     I was hoping there would be a way of right clicking and selecting to save either to the full contact list (as it does) or a specific contact group in that list (ie: GUEST LIST).      I hope I explained that OK.
    Thursday, May 13, 2010 10:08 AM
  • Ah, that sounds like a "Distribution List" also known as a "Contact Group".

No, there is no built-in way to automate the addition of an email address to a distribution list.

Distribution Lists are good where the list is relatively static. If there are frequent changes to the list then it is better to use categories as I described. You have to change the way you create an email to a category of contact, you can't just type the category name in the TO box as you would type the name of the Distribution List. But the benefits of using Categories usually outweigh this disadvantage.

Create a category for "GUEST", select all your guests and assign that category to them (That's just a couple of clicks) and experiment with using that category to create emails, etc.

Thursday, May 13, 2010 10:30 AM
  • OK I've spent most of the day doing what you said, and cetegorising them all. Now they're all categorised as "Guest list" blue colour.  But .................  now what ?

How do I send an email to them all.    I was trying to drag and drop them into a folder, but it won't. So I tried to copy and paste them into a folder - but it won't. What am I doing wrong/       

PS There MUST be a simple way of doing this .... like right click and add sender to GUEST LIST   I can't be the first person to want to do this.

Thursday, May 13, 2010 5:08 PM
  • See my first reply.

You select all the contact records you want (by whatever means you want) and then click Home | Communicate | Email to send a message to all the selected contacts.

You can select contacts by viewing them as a list, grouped by category and clicking the category header OR you can use the Search box, select the category name from Search  Tools | Categorized, then press Ctrl+A to select all the contacts shown.

No, as I said in my first reply there is no built-in easy way to add a person to a distribution list (DL). It has always been a two step process. Add the person to contacts then open the group (DL) and add the person again there.

Thursday, May 13, 2010 5:21 PM
  • No, Simon has it right.  Categories are the best way to do what you're trying to do.  To send to all of the people in the "Guest List" category click the search box in Contacts and type "Category: Guest List" (or whatever you actually named the guest list).  Outlook 2010 will quickly filter your view to only show those contacts.  Then press CTRL+A and then click the "E-mail" button on the ribbon.

NOTE: When the message opens all those Contacts will be on the "TO" line.  You'll want to move them to the "BCC" line (Options | BCC to show it) and put yourself in the TO line of the message, otherwise you're going to expose your entire list to the entire list and make a lot of people mad.

-B-
    http://www.officeforlawyers.com
    Author: The Lawyer's Guide to Microsoft Outlook
    Thursday, May 13, 2010 5:22 PM
  • Hi again.  OK I'm doing what you suggested, and right clicking / add to Outlook contacts / then categorise it as Blue.     But now, not only can I not find friends in the contact list, it is getting very VERY long.  Surely there must be a better way?

I've also got another little niggling problem.  I have always used "signatures" to add 3 or 4 short messages at the end (one says all our rooms are ..... )   (one says If you would like to pay by credit card ...... )   and  the last one says, Regards ......                                     In Outlook I can only use one of them. So if I've put "all our rooms are"     it disappears when I insert   "Regards ....."        and vice versa.

I'm not doing very well am I ?

Saturday, May 15, 2010 6:44 AM
  • Use the Search box to find people. Don't waste time scrolling up and down the list trying to spot them. Just type a few characters of their name.

Categorize your Friends, Neighbours, Suppliers, etc. Anyone in your Contacts should have one or more category assigned if you have many contacts and want to group them.

Check out the View options, particularly the List views rather than the card views. You can group the list views by category and collapse the categories to make them smaller.

Signatures are for signatures, not boilerplate text. You only get one signature per email. For Boilerplate text use AutoText. Type the text you want and format it as you want in a new message then select the text and click Insert | Text | Quick Parts | AutoText | Save Selection to Auto Text Gallery.

Type a short unique name for this item (make it four characters or longer) and click OK. Now, whenever you type that name, you will see a tooltip containing your boilerplate text. Press Enter when you see it and the text will be inserted.

If you go back to Insert | Text | Quick Parts | AutoText you will see your boilerplate text listed (along with its name to remind you). You can click the item to insert the text. Right-click an item to organise or delete items.

Saturday, May 15, 2010 8:30 AM