none
System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x86DB1068)

Question

• Calling the Visio.Open(docObj) method returns this exception

System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x86DB1068)

We have only seen it in Windows Server 2008. It applies to Visio 2007 and 2010. No problems on Windows 2003.

Can anyone provide any clues please?

Monday, July 12, 2010 3:00 PM

Answers

• consider wrapping it in a try..catch, so that you can get the associated message rather than an error code.

Try

Catch err As System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException
                    System.Diagnostics.Debug.WriteLine(err.Message)
       End Try

Since you appear to be attempting to open a document, I'd start by making sure the open is wrapped in a test to ensure the file exists and you have security privileges high enough to access it (i.e. signed code and registered certificates)

al

• Marked as answer by Sally Tang Wednesday, July 14, 2010 8:42 AM
    Monday, July 12, 2010 8:26 PM

All replies

• consider wrapping it in a try..catch, so that you can get the associated message rather than an error code.

Try

Catch err As System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException
                    System.Diagnostics.Debug.WriteLine(err.Message)
       End Try

Since you appear to be attempting to open a document, I'd start by making sure the open is wrapped in a test to ensure the file exists and you have security privileges high enough to access it (i.e. signed code and registered certificates)

al

• Marked as answer by Sally Tang Wednesday, July 14, 2010 8:42 AM
    Monday, July 12, 2010 8:26 PM
  • I have a same issue... Somebody found solution for this issue?
    Wednesday, September 29, 2010 3:51 AM
  • Hello,

I am facing the same problem Visio Document doesn't come up when I invoke it through Web Service on Windos Server 2008... I have IIS 7 hosting the Web Service...

The same code works fine in Windows Server 2003... I am trying hard to get out of this but in vain... Any help would be apprecaited. The above suggestion is not a Solution to the problem. I have installed Office Visio professional 2003 on my server.

Error Message: "Faulting Application Visio.exe; failed to load VISLIB.dll"

Regards,

Pikvik

Thursday, January 6, 2011 12:43 AM
  • PikVik,

I could adjust the server (Windows Server 2008 x64, IIS 7 + MS Visio 2010 x64). May be this will help to you.

1. Go to Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Component Services and select Computers/My Computer/DCOM Config/Microsoft Office Visio Drawing.

2. For windows account used by your application in App Pool (by default NETWORKSERVICE):

2.1 on Security tab click "Edit"

- in "Launch and Activation Permissions" section. Add your account and set "Allow" checkboxes for "Local Launch" and "Local Activation"; 

- in "Access Permissions" section - add account and set "Allow" for "Local Access"; 

- in "Configuration Permissions" section keep "Use Default"

2.2 on Identity tab need to choose "This user" radion button and input login/password of your account

3. Make sure account in "Physical Path Credential" has access to file access.

Now, the Visio reporting works fine for me

Wednesday, January 19, 2011 3:12 PM
  • You need to ensure that the folder C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\Desktop exists. It's the same when you try to automate Word in a service.
    Wednesday, March 9, 2011 4:02 PM