none
Printer problems and error message 0x0000007a

Question

• Since the windows update of the 23rd none of my printers will work and i just get the mesage in the subject.  My Adobe pdf printer does work.  The print spooler services is running.

Any ideas?

Saturday, March 01, 2008 10:13 AM

Answers

• Hello,

Have you tried to reinstall the driver for your printer? You may go to the manufacturer’s website and get the most updated version.

If the problem persists, let me know the KB number of the update that leads to this problem and the model of the involved printer, if possible.  

Regards,

Lionel Chen

Microsoft Online Community Support

Wednesday, March 05, 2008 2:26 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Have you tried to reinstall the driver for your printer? You may go to the manufacturer’s website and get the most updated version.

If the problem persists, let me know the KB number of the update that leads to this problem and the model of the involved printer, if possible.  

Regards,

Lionel Chen

Microsoft Online Community Support

Wednesday, March 05, 2008 2:26 AM
  •  

Hey! Sir,

Gud Day!  As I am facing problem wid the Printer HP 5510 All-in-one Seires that when we try to print from the Ms vista we are facing the Problm like vista is not printing and giveing the Error code (0X0000007a). so please try to give me any solution to solve this problem

Regards

Shabbir

Tuesday, March 25, 2008 12:43 PM
  • Hi Shabbir,

You may try the following article:

(KB324757) You cannot add a printer, and you receive printer spooler error messages

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;324757

This article was written neither for Windows Vista nor your exact case, but it will help you clean the 3rd party language monitor and port. Please reinstall the latest driver after these steps.

Hope it helps!

Cheers,

Lionel

Thursday, March 27, 2008 5:28 AM
  • Come on MS - this is not good enough.  I had this problem under Vista and I have just upgraded to Win 7 RC and the problem remains.  I have deleted both printers and re-installed them from scratch.  Even the Win7 RC printer troubleshooter run as administrator can't find any issue - everything checks out fine but the instant I try to print a test page it displays "Operation could not be completed (error 0x0000007a)".  In normal circumstances print jobs disappear immediately from the print queue and behave as if they have completed printing, but nothing ever emerges from either printer!

This needs to be escalated.  Someone wrote the code that generates the error so you must know what triggers it and why the trouble shooter can't find any issue!

Chief Executive, ArgyStar.com
    Thursday, May 07, 2009 2:21 AM
  • By the way, my problem is with the x64 version of both Vista Ultimate and Win 7 RC Ultimate (build 7100) in case it isn't replicable in other versions.  Printing to a pdf virtual printer works fine - the problem is only with physical printers and they happen to be network printers as there are none on the same floor as the PC running Win7 RC.  That's what makes it all the more frustrating - I go downstairs to collect my printout only to discover an empty output tray on the printer despite the spooler reporting a successfully completed print job (except for a 'print test page' from printer properties, which generates the 'error 0x0000007a'. 
    Thursday, May 07, 2009 2:22 PM
  • I am having exactly the same problem on Win 7 RC. All of the virtual printing possibilities work except the physical HP Photosmart C4180 All-in-One. In every program I'm not even allowed to change the printing preferences, because I get an immediate warning that the printer has returned an error. When trying to print a test-page it result in a 0x0000007a error. I've tried it with the default win 7 driver and I've installed the HP driver but both don't work. The troubleshooting program doesn't find a thing, so I don't think the problem lies in the spooler service. This is quite problematic for a RC I think, especially if you consider that I'm running a dual-boot and my Vista x32 doesn't have any problems printing whatsoever.

I agree with Philip about escalating because of the fact that this is a problem with a RC!

\edit: no one has any idea?
    Monday, May 25, 2009 12:37 PM
  • I am having a similar problem as Philip and Benoit, though mine is on Windows Vista Home Premium x64 with a wireless HP Photosmart C6380 All-in-One printer. The printer is detected on the network, and I successfully installed the drivers several times. Yet I keep getting the error 0x0000007a when I attempt to print a test page. MS Word detects the printer, but is also unable to print to it. No error code was given, just that it was unable to print to that printer.

I see this issue was brought up over a year ago, is there any solution for this problem?

I will attempt to uninstall and reinstall the drivers one last time.

Thanks,
    Rahul

Friday, July 03, 2009 3:23 AM
  • Hi all,

I have an HP915 all-in-one connected to a laptop with Windows Vista. Scanning and copying is fine. But printing gives the same error code as above 0x0000007a.

Any updates on this thread?

Monday, July 20, 2009 10:31 AM
  • Now Win 7 has been released to manufacturing and still no word on this?  It's a disgrace!  Here's a perfectly good high end system with no network printing capability and the latesat Troubleshooter insists there is no problem even though attempting to print a test page generates 'error 0x0000007a'.  Printing from Notepad generates 'Invalid handle' whatever that means and printing from Word gives a successful completion message from the spooler and it disappears from the print queue but nothing ever turns up on a printer (and I've tried two different network printers!).

Is anyone from Microsoft actually reading these threads?

Please let us know that you are at least working on this problem so we don't have to go to the media and disclose that Win7 x64 is as unreliable as Vista x64!
    Tuesday, August 11, 2009 1:13 AM
  • Have any of you thought about asking HP? HP and any of that ALL-in-ONE units that i have used are ____. They don't use standard drivers, they use software packages that include LOTS of other stuff. Try it to an old reliable HP4050, or a true network style printer. All-in-ONEs are made for the home office environment.
    WA-geek-single-male
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 10:42 PM
  • I'm not printing to an HP printer.  It doesn't matter what printer I try to print to - if it's a network printer I cannot print a test page nor any other page without getting the same 'error 0x0000007a'.   What I don't understand is why the people at Microsoft who program these things can't say what is causing that error when trying to print a test page from the printer properties dialog box and then fix it.  Nor do I understand why the trouble shooter reports no trouble contacting or identifying or communicating with the printer - so why can't a print job be sent to it?

This is reaching the point were this thread needs to get a higher public profile in case that improves the chances of getting the problem escalated.  We thought we were doing the right thing by reporting the problem here but no-one seems to be addressing it and the time that has elapsed makes it all the more unacceptable.  I'd have thought that my August 11 post would have had some attention by now!
    Monday, November 02, 2009 2:18 AM
  • Hi Philip…. And everyone else.

Just wondering if you EVER got a fix for your issues?

I’m trying to get a local printer sorted.  Visiting Mum and Dad who have just bought a new PC to have Windows 7 and having MAJOR problems trying to get the printer sorted.  Also getting error 0x0000007a and this is a Canon i550 printer.

Did you have ANY luck at all?  I’m pulling my hair out.  Have tried uninstalling and re installing the printer and its drivers.  I’ve also checked ALL the ports and NOTHING will work…. ANY HELP would be great if you ever got any.

Cheers

Vanessa

Wednesday, December 30, 2009 6:30 AM
  • Much as I hate to admit, in desperation I did a clean install of Windows 7 Ultimate and the problem disappeared.  I still do not know what the cause was and of course MS did not lift a finger to help nor respond in this forum, which is disgraceful in my opinion, especially if it is being monitored as it should be.
    Wednesday, December 30, 2009 3:41 PM
  • Well thanks for getting back to me. I've added a new forum and only seem to get suggestions I've already tried 3 times.  So frustrating... My printer is Canon and in one part of the site says its NOT compatible and in anotehr gives you the driver for it.  so i'm very confused.

Thanks again.

Glad you got yours to work :o)
    Thursday, December 31, 2009 2:57 AM
  • I worked through this issue with HP today.. Long of it is.. I have a photosmart printer that kept giving me this 0x7a error when trying to print..

What complicated this was I have 64 bit hardware on a 32 bit OS.. but im not sure if this was the problem at all.

I had to go into windows/system32/spool/driver and rename the 3 folder.. now i had to do this in safe mode..

Once renamed I had to uninstall all the HP driver, and reinstall the all-in-one drivers again.

once this was done. It worked perfectly.

Hope this helps.

Friday, April 30, 2010 1:05 AM
  • I worked through this issue with HP today.. Long of it is.. I have a photosmart printer that kept giving me this 0x7a error when trying to print..

What complicated this was I have 64 bit hardware on a 32 bit OS.. but im not sure if this was the problem at all.

I had to go into windows/system32/spool/driver and rename the 3 folder .. now i had to do this in safe mode..

Once renamed I had to uninstall all the HP driver, and reinstall the all-in-one drivers again.

once this was done. It worked perfectly.

Hope this helps.

Hi people,

I have exactly the same problem with my HP Deskjet D1360 on Windows 7 32 Bit. I tried official HP driver for windows 7 32 bit but i always get the damn 0x7a error message.

you said that you fixxed the problem renaming 3 folder in system32\spool in safe mode? what is safe mode and how did you name the folder? is it possible to delete the folder?

greetings from germany

Wednesday, May 05, 2010 7:21 PM
    • Proposed as answer by cravinq Wednesday, March 19, 2014 2:22 PM
    Tuesday, August 17, 2010 2:39 PM
  • Thank you that worked great.
    Saturday, May 07, 2011 11:36 AM
  • the problem states that the printer or printer share name has been used and to rename the printer. the only thing different in printer area is a printer that says: Upgrade printer. I deleted it an now my hp printer driver has to be re-installed. That last microsoft update was screwy. both my computers froze (and got really hot mind you) for a whole day when I shut them off to go to work. I am downloading a new driver to see if that helps. Thanks.
    Saturday, November 12, 2011 9:04 PM
  • OK...SO I had the same issue with a Toshiba eStudio 5560c. I was using the Windows e-Bridge Universal 2 PCL/PS 64 Bit Driver and everything was working fine for several months. Suddenly I had a customer tell me they could'nt print and they were getting the 0x7a error. I went out to toshiba's web site and downloaded the Windows e-Bridge Universal 2 XPS 64 Bit Driver and it solved the problem. 
    Wednesday, August 05, 2015 3:33 PM
  • I actually found an easy solution for this just now. You need to check first the bit version of your windows. Once that is done make sure you are using an administrator profile and do the following:

Go to c:\windows\System32\spool\drivers

Under the folder that matches your windows bit version, in my case was folder w32x86, you will find the folder "3" You just need to delete all the files related to your printer's driver, in my case I deleted all Dellopd files found in this folder.

Remove the printer from "Devices and printers" and map it again. That will re-install all the drivers files and there it is! Nice and working.

Have to mention I did this for a network printer and worked just fine, may be slightly different for a local printer.

Hope this helps!! 

Regards!

Thursday, January 14, 2016 1:06 AM