none
open media file in windows media player

General discussion

• Hi.

I have created Content Query Web Part which displays list of video urls.

But when I click on them it is not opening in windows media player.

It is opening some silverlight player on browser and gives error that "media failed to load"

How to open that links in windows media player ?

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 12:24 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Do you want to force all users to use windows media player on their client machine? are the users part of your company so you can insure they have windows media player?

Regards

MCITP & MCPD Sharepoint 2010 ¦ MCITP Server 2008 Administrator ¦ MCP

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 12:57 PM
  • @Spyderco

Yes, I want them to use media player only.

And If u can tell why silverlight is giving the error. ?

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 1:43 PM
  • Hi,

The only way i know of that may work, but is not advisable, is to manually edit the DOCICON.xml file, which specifiys how sharpeoint should handle file types.

If you have sharepoint installed in the default location, you can find the file here: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\14\TEMPLATE\XML\DOCICON.xml

Inside this file you will find entrys for the various file types like this:

<Mapping Key="doc" Value="icdoc.png" EditText="Microsoft Word" OpenControl="SharePoint.OpenDocuments" />

The OpenControl attribute is what you will want to change. it may be enough to simply leave it blank, as that tells sharepoint to let your browser decide what to do with the file.

You will need to do this manually on every server in your farm, and also remember to check it after any upgrades/service packs, as they will likely write over your changes, hence why i say it is not advisable, although sometimes it is the only option.

As for your silverlight error, have you got any error messages, other than "Media failed to load"? have you checked in the logs to see if their is a stack trace?

Regards

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 1:53 PM
  • Hi Spyderco,

Thank You for the reply.

My Silverlight is giving one more error.

When I try to create content It throws me a error called "An Unhandeled Exception Occured"

See, if you can help.

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 6:14 AM
  • Hi.

Im sorry but that silverlight error could be almost anything, without more info its going to be impossible to diagnose.

Regards

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 8:12 AM