none
Windows Explorer folder properties giving wrong data

Question

• I am trying to verify the contents of two folders on my network using Windows Explorer.  I will attached a screenshot as soon as they verify my account.

In the left pane, is my original folder selected (\\NAS02-4DD\usbshare1-2\Archive\Metal Building\A & S\Drawings\NSDrawings) and then I right click and hit properties to see the file count and size of the folder.

In the right pane is the copied folder selected (\\NAS02-4DD\Archives\0Arch\Metal Buildings\A & S\Drawings\NSDrawings) doing the same thing.

You can see what the properties are by the two respective NSDrawings Properties windows.  They do not match.  However, if you physically count the files, and even look in the bottom left corner of each window (after I hit CtrlA) you will see there are indeed 902 files in each folder.  I have re-booted all 3 machines associated with these files, and can not get them to ever read the same when I view the properties of each folder.

This is a HUGE problem when it comes to trying to verify if my files have indeed copied in full from users computers to a new N.A.S. unit.

Is there a solution or other way to verify this information without having to open each folder and view its' contents manually?  I am going to be moving about 8TB of information around, and all of it needs to be verified after moving.

Thank you.

Monday, September 22, 2014 7:15 PM

Answers

All replies

• I will attach a screenshot as soon as they verify my account.

You can see what the properties are by the two respective NSDrawings Properties windows.

Hard to tell without the screenshots. Did you check if you had any hidden files and whether they were copied?
    Monday, September 22, 2014 8:49 PM
  • Monday, September 22, 2014 8:50 PM
  • Sorry about the delay on the screenshot, had to wait for approval.

No hidden files, this is not the only folder this happened in either. 

Monday, September 22, 2014 8:55 PM
  • A general remark: Before claiming that Windows Explorer gives incorrect information you must explore all other possibilities, if only because we would have known years ago if there was such a probem with Explorer.exe. In your case I suspect that you're not copying all your files. When you run the batch file below then you will find out which files you are missing.

@echo off
    set Source="\\Nas\My source folder"
    set Target="\\archives\My target folder"

echo Processing %Source%
    dir %Source% /s /a-d /on | find ":" | find /v ":\" > "%temp%\Source.txt"
    echo Processing %Target%
    dir %Target% /s /a-d /on | find ":" | find /v ":\"> "%temp%\Target.txt"

fc "%temp%\Source.txt" "%temp%\Target.txt" > "%temp%\diff.txt"
    notepad "%temp%\diff.txt"

• Proposed as answer by Frederik Long Tuesday, September 23, 2014 7:39 PM
    Monday, September 22, 2014 9:43 PM
  • If I look inside the copied folder above (on the right side) all of the files are there (as illustrated by the screenshot - 902 files on each side).  So all of the files are in deed being copied in these scenarios.

The problem is I do not want to open every individual file and check the contents to verify a copied folder.  I am copying tens of thousands of folders, and terabytes of information.  Typically I would just right click a major folder (the "Metal Buildings" folder for example) in the tree, and inspect the contents of each; and if the sizes (bytes), files and folder counts all match I can then safely delete the source.  When the numbers do not match, I start going through the sub-folders until I find which one(s) have the missing files (via software first, and then manually if needed).  

Why would the properties of the folder show 748 files when I right click it and hit properties, and when I select the folder (or open it) and hit ctrl-A (or manually count them) it shows 902 files within that folder?  There are no system or hidden files within the folders. 

The trigger for me finding this problem was when the copied folders appeared larger than the original in some cases.  I think this is the third folder I have found this way in the past three days, and it is causing me to question my own sanity. 

*edit* I appreciate the help so far Mr. Long

• Edited by Bluehaze43 Monday, September 22, 2014 10:05 PM gratitude
    Monday, September 22, 2014 9:56 PM
  • A general remark: Before claiming that Windows Explorer gives incorrect information you must explore all other possibilities, if only because we would have known years ago if there was such a probem with Explorer.exe. In your case I suspect that you're not copying all your files. When you run the batch file below then you will find out which files you are missing.

@echo off
    set Source="\\Nas\My source folder"
    set Target="\\archives\My target folder"

echo Processing %Source%
    dir %Source% /s /a-d /on | find ":" | find /v ":\" > "%temp%\Source.txt"
    echo Processing %Target%
    dir %Target% /s /a-d /on | find ":" | find /v ":\"> "%temp%\Target.txt"

fc "%temp%\Source.txt" "%temp%\Target.txt" > "%temp%\diff.txt"
    notepad "%temp%\diff.txt"

I did run your batch file and it shows missing files, but I can physically see them in the source folder, and open them.

Monday, September 22, 2014 10:04 PM
  • I did run your batch file and it shows missing files, but I can physically see them in the source folder, and open them.

It appears that explorer.exe showed the correct information. You now need to find out why the missing files are not getting copied to the target folder.
    Monday, September 22, 2014 10:09 PM
  • The problem is I do not want to open every individual file and check the contents to verify a copied folder.  I am copying tens of thousands of folders, and terabytes of information.

If you do this on a regular basis then you should use robocopy.exe to copy your files. When you put the command inside a batch file then you can get it to generate a report on its operation which will show you clearly how many files it copied, how many it skipped and how many it was unable to copy, e.g. because they were locked.
    Monday, September 22, 2014 10:42 PM
  • Mr. Long, As I have stated before; the problem is NOT with copying the files.  All of the files are indeed in BOTH folders.  The problem is when I right click the source folder to display properties, it shows an inaccurate size, file and folder count.  The copied folder displays the correct information, as when I physically open both the source and destination folders, they do indeed have the same exact data contained within (per my original screenshot).

I apologize for MY error on the second screenshot, as I didn't realize the screen on the left had scrolled away from where I had it when I toggled between windows (so it does not exactly show what I intended).  The second screenshot was to show that the batch file I ran indicated the highlighted missing file (NS1413.dwg), but it was actually in the folder (not hidden, and able to open).

I am starting to think that my drive may be failing and this may not be a problem with Windows Explorer now.

I will post results after copying the previously cloned source drive later today.  My source drive was part of a RAID, so I do have a current copy.

Thank you for the help so far.

Tuesday, September 23, 2014 12:40 PM
  • You wrote:

I did run your batch file and it shows missing files.
    and later on:
    The problem is NOT with copying the files.  All of the files are indeed in BOTH folders.

The two statements appear contradictory.

Tuesday, September 23, 2014 5:48 PM
  • Close thread, problem was a failing hard drive.

Sorry for wasting time, I should have inspected the drive more closely before posting.

Tuesday, September 23, 2014 7:27 PM