none
MS Office Standard 2010 cannot verify the licence for this product - error when opening any program

Question

• I had MS Office 2007 up until May, 2010, then I subscribed to Technet & downloaded & installed MS Office Standard 2010 version, used one of the 2 licences from the technet downloads page & all was fine until a few days ago.

Now when I go to start Word; exel or any other MS program it opens & then gives the following error:
    'MS Office Standard cannot verify the licence for this product. You should repair the Office program by using Control Panel. OK'

I've tried doing that for each of the programs, it says successful, prompts for a re-boot & when I retry any program it gives exactly the same error.

I've tried searching here in the forums & also the 'net in general but can't find anything relating to this errror.

Thanks in advance for any help.

JTK
    PS. I'm running MS Windows XP Pro, SP3, 2GB RAM; Eset Smart Security, any other info pls ask

Monday, October 11, 2010 6:58 PM

Answers

• Hi,

To work around this problem, uninstall any unnecessary Office suites. To do this, following these steps.

How to remove the Office suites

1. Click Start, and then click Run.
    2. In the Open box, type appwiz.cpl, and then click OK.
    3. In the Currently installed programs list, locate and then click either the previously installed Office suites or the individual Office application.

Note Remove any trial versions of Office that were preinstalled by the computer manufacturer. For example, the computer manufacturer may have preinstalled 2007 Microsoft Office system or Office 2007 Home & Student Trial.
    4. Click Remove.
    5. Click Yes when you are prompted to confirm that you want to remove the Office suite or individual application.

Re-enter the product key

Retail versions of the Office 2010 suite are self-repairing. To repair the version of Office that is installed, start any Office application and follow the instructions to enter the product key. To do this, follow these steps:

1. Exit any programs that are running and close all open windows.
    2. Start an Office application. For example, start Microsoft Office Word or Microsoft Office Excel.
    3. Type the product key for the retail version of the Office 2010 suite when you are prompted.

For more information, you can refer to this KB article:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/836178

Hope that helps.

• Marked as answer by Jennifer Zhan Tuesday, October 19, 2010 9:26 AM
    Tuesday, October 12, 2010 2:25 AM

All replies

• Hi,

To work around this problem, uninstall any unnecessary Office suites. To do this, following these steps.

How to remove the Office suites

1. Click Start, and then click Run.
    2. In the Open box, type appwiz.cpl, and then click OK.
    3. In the Currently installed programs list, locate and then click either the previously installed Office suites or the individual Office application.

Note Remove any trial versions of Office that were preinstalled by the computer manufacturer. For example, the computer manufacturer may have preinstalled 2007 Microsoft Office system or Office 2007 Home & Student Trial.
    4. Click Remove.
    5. Click Yes when you are prompted to confirm that you want to remove the Office suite or individual application.

Re-enter the product key

Retail versions of the Office 2010 suite are self-repairing. To repair the version of Office that is installed, start any Office application and follow the instructions to enter the product key. To do this, follow these steps:

1. Exit any programs that are running and close all open windows.
    2. Start an Office application. For example, start Microsoft Office Word or Microsoft Office Excel.
    3. Type the product key for the retail version of the Office 2010 suite when you are prompted.

For more information, you can refer to this KB article:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/836178

Hope that helps.

• Marked as answer by Jennifer Zhan Tuesday, October 19, 2010 9:26 AM
    Tuesday, October 12, 2010 2:25 AM
  • Hi Jennifer, sorry I couldn't respond before to your answer because I've just had eye surgery, your response was indeed helpful & accurate, & the only way to solve the problem was to un-install, reboot & re-install the whole office suite.

thanks,
    Jtk

Tuesday, October 19, 2010 12:57 PM
  • How did you re-install the whole office suite? I'm having problems
    Wednesday, February 01, 2012 9:32 PM