none
How to partially deploy or update Web Parts to a SharePoint Site deployed through a Feature? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have a question regarding deployment of webparts through Feature. I am wondering how to "partially" deploy a webpart when you already have deployed the solution?

For example, you need to make a change just to a single webpart to update the way it looks or its code-behind logic. It is unwise to just retract the entire solution right? But I do not know how to go about this..

Can you help me or can you point me to which resources will be useful?

Thanks!

Monday, August 26, 2013 12:19 PM

Answers

• Hi,

If you have a very small change and really do not want to affect any of the installed components, you can consider doing a Feature Upgrade.  The link below explains nicely how to do this -

http://www.sharepointnutsandbolts.com/2010/06/feature-upgrade-part-1-fundamentals.html

In case of Update-SPSolution, the features will stay turned on, but the DLLs and the Files will be updated. However, it works well for lot of scenarios.

Per MSDN :

The Update-SPSolution cmdlet upgrades a deployed SharePoint solution in the farm. Use this cmdlet only if a new solution contains the same set of files and features as the deployed solution. If files and features are different, the solution must be retracted and redeployed by using the Uninstall-SPSolution and Install-SPSolution cmdlets, respectively.

Narahari

******If a post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on that post and "Vote as Helpful*******

Tuesday, August 27, 2013 6:06 AM

All replies

• If the changes is just in code you can update the dll in GAC, or if you have the wsp you just update you sp solution with latest wsp

Mark ANSWER if this reply resolves your query, If helpful then VOTE HELPFUL
    Everything about SQL Server | Experience inside SQL Server -Mohammad Nizamuddin

Monday, August 26, 2013 12:57 PM
  • Yes, we can have the WSP, but won't it delete all the webparts we have already deployed previously? Or overwrite all our columns / content types currently existing? We hope that it won't affect the site too much or not if at all.
    Monday, August 26, 2013 2:28 PM
  • Hi,

If you have a very small change and really do not want to affect any of the installed components, you can consider doing a Feature Upgrade.  The link below explains nicely how to do this -

http://www.sharepointnutsandbolts.com/2010/06/feature-upgrade-part-1-fundamentals.html

In case of Update-SPSolution, the features will stay turned on, but the DLLs and the Files will be updated. However, it works well for lot of scenarios.

Per MSDN :

The Update-SPSolution cmdlet upgrades a deployed SharePoint solution in the farm. Use this cmdlet only if a new solution contains the same set of files and features as the deployed solution. If files and features are different, the solution must be retracted and redeployed by using the Uninstall-SPSolution and Install-SPSolution cmdlets, respectively.

Narahari

******If a post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on that post and "Vote as Helpful*******

Tuesday, August 27, 2013 6:06 AM
  • Ok thanks! Will take that in mind if ever we have a small bug.

Thanks!

Saturday, August 31, 2013 2:54 AM