none
Windows SharePoint Services Web Application Required on Farm, not running Starting

Question

•  

Hi,

I am trying to get around a problem with no luck.

WSS 3.0 running on Server 2003 SP 2.  Website functions ok but under services on server it shows the Windows SharePoint Services Web Application as starting, yet it never starts.

I cannot backup the site, import templates etc as Timer Jobs are stuck because of this.  Any ideas?

Wednesday, September 19, 2007 2:20 PM

Answers

•  

Hi Richard,

Sorry for the trouble. I have occasionally seen (any) service getting stuck. Often the best way out of it is to stop it from the command line. In your case, running

"stsadm -o provisionservice -action stop -servicetype SPWebService" should stop it. After that you most likely need to start it (from command line or central admin).

If that does not help, can you provide more details and preferrably the relevant piece from the logs?

JP

Wednesday, September 19, 2007 10:02 PM
  •  

It really depends how you've deployed / installed them. If you do "the right thing" and the deployment is done under the program files and the files are later automatically deployed to each IIS vdir as needed, you should be OK.

When you stop the Web Application service, it actually undeploys all the vdirs from IIS and deletes the IIS web sites. Starting it deploys these again.

My guess with your description is that you've deployed the files or some changes in the web.config or something similar directly to the vroots (typically under inetpub). Stopping the service deleted all these files, starting it didn't know how to redeploy and hence you had to install / copy the files anew.

If this is an internal deployment, you may just make a note of this. For external distribution of the files, I would study the proper install procedures. One resource to try is the http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb530302.aspx.

JP

Sunday, September 23, 2007 9:47 PM

All replies

•  

Hi Richard,

Sorry for the trouble. I have occasionally seen (any) service getting stuck. Often the best way out of it is to stop it from the command line. In your case, running

"stsadm -o provisionservice -action stop -servicetype SPWebService" should stop it. After that you most likely need to start it (from command line or central admin).

If that does not help, can you provide more details and preferrably the relevant piece from the logs?

JP

Wednesday, September 19, 2007 10:02 PM
  • I"m having trouble with this service as well and tried the above command. Just a note. I had 4 custom webparts we had deployed. After stoping and starting this service, I had to reinstall them. I would be interested if anyone could explain why that was necessary.

Saturday, September 22, 2007 11:59 PM
  •  

It really depends how you've deployed / installed them. If you do "the right thing" and the deployment is done under the program files and the files are later automatically deployed to each IIS vdir as needed, you should be OK.

When you stop the Web Application service, it actually undeploys all the vdirs from IIS and deletes the IIS web sites. Starting it deploys these again.

My guess with your description is that you've deployed the files or some changes in the web.config or something similar directly to the vroots (typically under inetpub). Stopping the service deleted all these files, starting it didn't know how to redeploy and hence you had to install / copy the files anew.

If this is an internal deployment, you may just make a note of this. For external distribution of the files, I would study the proper install procedures. One resource to try is the http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb530302.aspx.

JP

Sunday, September 23, 2007 9:47 PM
  • Thanks JP.  Got me going.  Worked for me.

RD

Tuesday, September 25, 2007 6:30 PM
  • I've tried to start SPWebService from Central administration and command line but received

"Error during encryption or decryption" What does it mean?

Tuesday, October 16, 2007 9:06 PM
  • This command for both stopping and starting worked for me.

This information is good to know if you have a MOSS farm solution and then revert back to a single web server solution.

~tm~

Wednesday, July 09, 2008 6:19 PM
  • The "stop" action worked, iisreset /noforce succeeded, but I can't "start".

"Provision of service failed. Additional information: The path specified cannot be used at this time. <Exception from HRESULT: 0X80070094>.
    If this is a web service, IIS must be restarted from the change to take effect.
    To restart IIS< open a command prompt window and type "iisreset /noforce"

Any suggestion??
    Tuesday, November 25, 2008 3:17 PM
  • I've tried to start SPWebService from Central administration and command line but received

"Error during encryption or decryption" What does it mean?

I am going through the same problem.  Can you tell me how you resolved this?  My client's WSS site is now down, and I am wary of going through the steps on KB927156 if there are other options.  Thanks in advance.
    Thursday, July 23, 2009 9:01 PM
  • Greetings,

Just a couple of hours ago our production farm stated the same error:

1 - Windows Sharepoint Servies Web Apllication does not start in any of the Front Ends, thus no files are populated in the inetpub directory.

2 - Tried to copy the files from an early backup with no sucess.

3 - Tried to start the service via stsadm -o provisionservice -action stop/start -servicetype SPWebService i get an access denied error, tried the foruns no help.

4 - Curious thing, wen i stop spwebservice and delete all files in the folder at least the my site foldes is created ok but none of the others.

~Can anyone spare a thought?

Wednesday, June 23, 2010 12:31 AM