none
Insufficient disk space. Can not display requested font.

Question

• I am trying to run Microsoft Office Word 2010 on my HP laptop running Windows 7 Professional. Every time I open Word I get this error message: "There is insufficient memory or disk space. Word cannot display the requested font." I am then left with only 2 font choices and it screws up the document I am trying to open. I have all other Microsoft Office programs such as Visio, PowerPoint, Excel, Publisher, etc. and those work with no problems.

I have tried a system restore to months ago, I have tried to find the normal.dot file and I can't even find it, I have tried to uninstall Adobe, and I've even uninstalled and reinstalled Microsoft Office itself. All to no avail. I am currently a student in medical school so I don't have the time to put my studies on hold and I use Word on a daily basis for school.

Please help!

Tuesday, April 12, 2011 5:59 PM

All replies

• Hi,

There are a couple of things that can cause this.  One is a corrupted normal.dot template, one is a corrupted printer driver, and the other would be some sort of third party add-ins.  So let's start with the simplest to try and that is replacing the normal.dot template.

Click on Start, go to Search, and in the Search box type normal.dot.  There should be a search option that you can check for 'search hidden files', make sure that is checked.  If it does not find it, try searching for *.dot.  It may be hard to find because it is a hidden file.  You may have to go into folder options and be sure "show hidden files" is checked.  Whenever you find normal.dot, rename it old.dot and reboot your computer. 

Open Word and it will create a new normal.dot template, which is what Word uses as a default blank document.

Sincerely

Thursday, April 14, 2011 6:11 AM
  • I can not find the normal.dot file. I can't even find the search options in order to make sure that 'search hidden files' is selected. I have no add-ins selected. I am using Windows 7. Any other suggestions?
    Thursday, April 14, 2011 1:53 PM