none
Outlook 2010 - Send/Receive error message RRS feed

• Question

• I am running Outlook 2010 under Windows 7 with Service Pack 2, and McAfee anti-virus. Both McAfee and Windows updates are current. I am currently travelling and have been using my gmail for my business through Outlook without a problem on this platform for several months.  However today I cannot access my account, and receive the following pop-up message when trying to send/receive:

Task 'howarthrj@gmail.com - Receiving' reported error (0x80042108) : 'Outlook cannot connect to your incoming (POP3) e-mail server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).'

Task 'howarthrj@gmail.com - Sending' reported error (0x80042109) : 'Outlook cannot connect to your outgoing (SMTP) e-mail server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).'

I have already had a look at this forum and others, and tried to set up a new internet account (POP/SMTP).  However, the same error message comes up when testing the new account.

Has anyone satisfactorily solved this problem?

Sunday, June 3, 2012 8:16 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

Can you access your Gmail account through web?
    First of all, we should set Gmail account correctly, especially incoming server and outgoing server port, refer to http://support.google.com/mail/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=86374

If this change port without success, please do:

1. Recreate the email profile.
    2. Turned off AVG/Firewall

Feel free to post back.

Tony Chen

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Tony Chen CHN Wednesday, June 13, 2012 9:08 AM
    Monday, June 4, 2012 8:18 AM
  • Hi Tony

Many thanks for the response and google link.  Yes - I can access still my gmail through the web without a problem. So I have just checked and followed the configuration set out in google support link - without success.  I have also tried removing my existing gmail account from Outlook, and then tryed to recreate a new profile.  Still no success.  I have also tried to create the new profile with the McAfee firewall turned off.  That has not worked either.

The only other factor I can add is that this problem has arisen for the first time when logging onto a hotel wifi network (in Barcelona, Spain).  Perhaps significant is that the hotel is brand new (I checked in on only its second day of operation) so its wifi network is also brand new.  Is it possible that the hotel wifi network configuration is in some way blocking access to the Outlook server?  I have not yet tried to access any other wifi network.

Thanks, Richard Howarth

Monday, June 4, 2012 6:25 PM
  • As far as I know, some organization uses different security policy in the cable network and wifi. I'm not sure but it is possible.

Cheers,

Tony Chen

• Proposed as answer by Tony Chen CHN Monday, June 11, 2012 1:46 AM
    Friday, June 8, 2012 8:26 AM