none
SharePoint 2013 Newsfeeds are not same as Office 365 Newsfeeds, why? need help!

Question

• I completed SharePoint 2013 preview server installation and configuration. When I put a YouTube link on my Newsfeeds it does not show the preview as it shows in Office 365 Preview.

Can someone help me get those features on my SharePoint 2013 server? any help is appreciated!

Thanks....

Thursday, October 25, 2012 3:42 PM

All replies

• Has Distributed Cache service been started in the machine SharePoint is running on? If not, it must be started before it provisions feeds. The following steps to start Distributed Cache service:

1. Open Central Administration, click Application Management category.
    2. In Service Application section, click Manage Services on Server.
    3. On the Services on Server page, start Distributed Cache service.

Or use PowerShell script:

$instanceName ="SPDistributedCacheService Name=AppFabricCachingService"
    $serviceInstance = Get-SPServiceInstance | ? {($_.service.tostring()) -eq $instanceName -and ($_.server.name) -eq $env:computername}
    $serviceInstance.Provision()

As far as I know feeds rely on Distributed Cache to store data for very fast retrieval across all entities.

Hope this helps.

Thuan Soldier
    SharePoint Vietnam | Blog | Twitter

• Marked as answer by Lhan HanModerator Wednesday, October 31, 2012 6:29 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by heyhaseeb Friday, November 02, 2012 11:45 AM
    Saturday, October 27, 2012 2:54 AM
  • Thanks for your suggestion, I checked on Distributed Cache service and it is running on the server.

Is there anything i'm missing?? SharePoint server 2013 offers this feature out of the box right??

Thanks! 

Friday, November 02, 2012 11:49 AM
  • Hi all,

On the Office 365 sites, on the communities sites, it is not the discussion list that is displayed but the Site newsfeed (that is activated using the site feature "Site Feed") on the default page.

There, you can embed videos and images (you can't do that using the standard discussion board located on the Sharepoint Community Sites (or you have to update the sp.ui.discussion.js file locates in the layout folder).

Using the sitefeed, your site data will directly be pushed on your personal newsfeed if you follow the community and will display the photos embedded

I hope it helps

Alexandre.

Friday, November 09, 2012 4:23 PM
  • If you behind a proxy server, here are the steps that might help you

http://sharepointjournal.com/2014/10/29/sharepoint-2013-newsfeed-not-showing-video-preview-thumbnails/

• Proposed as answer by K007T Wednesday, October 29, 2014 1:19 AM
    Wednesday, October 29, 2014 1:19 AM