none
pfbackup alternative for outlook 2010 x64

Question

• We are in the process of deploying office 2010 x64 to all our clients.  As it stands pfbackup.exe doesn't work at all on a 64 bit Outlook client. Does  anyone know an alternative or have any suggestions on how to handle backups of the ost/pst's ?

Monday, October 24, 2011 1:11 PM

Answers

All replies

• I'd like to second that request. We've got a number of Office 2010 64 installations out there that are in need of some sort of automated (or at least end user friendly) method for PST backup. Also have a couple of workstations with pfbackup installs that are broken that we simply cannot fix (can't install because it's installed, can't uninstall, outbak.dll is registered, but pfbackup will not run for one reason or another).

Would love to know if there is anything else out there... so far I've not found anything short of scheduled tasks paired with robocopy batch scripts, but these tend to not work for PSTs over 1GB. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Monday, October 24, 2011 10:53 PM
  • Hi

Thank you for using Microsoft Office for IT Professionals Forums.

To enable the Personal Folders Backup add-in to work with Outlook 2010, add the following registry data to complete the backup process at shutdown.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\Outlook\Addins\Microsoft.OutlookBackup.1

DWORD: RequireShutdownNotification

Value: 1

To fix this problem automatically, click the Fix it button or link. Click Run in the File Download dialog box, and follow the steps in the Fix it wizard.

Fix this problem  Microsoft Fix it 50545

More detailed information you can refer to this KB article:

“How to enable Personal Folders Backup add-in to work with Outlook 2010”

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2030523

Please take your time to try the suggestions and let me know the results at your earliest convenience. If anything is unclear or if there is anything I can do for you, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards, 

William Zhou

Forum Support

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.
    Wednesday, October 26, 2011 1:51 AM
  • Hi William

I am aware of that fix, however that fix is only for 32 bit versions of Outlook as far as i am aware .  We are running 64 bit versions of office. 

Wednesday, October 26, 2011 1:11 PM
  • Never came up with a descent solution so we are going to be deploying 32 bit outlook. 
    Friday, October 28, 2011 7:58 AM
  • Hi, Nickda

You are right, I have test to add this registry key for 32-bit/64-bit, it only work with 32-bit.

You can read Ted Way's bolg "Understanding 64-Bit Office", hope this useful,

http://blogs.technet.com/b/office2010/archive/2010/02/23/understanding-64-bit-office.aspx

Best Regards, 

William Zhou 

Forum Support 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, October 31, 2011 1:43 AM