none
Sharepoint #50071 issues RRS feed

  • Question

  • Morning all

     

    We've had Sharepoint successfuly installed for the past 2 month however, as of last friday no one is able to connect to the default site on the server (Or any other), the only accessable website is the central admin.

     

    All users get the message of "Unable to connect to database.  Check database connection information and make sure the database server is running. " in their browsers

     

    In the event log I'm getting:

     

    The description for Event ID ( 27745 ) in Source ( Windows SharePoint Services 3 ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: #50071: Unable to connect to the database [Catalog name] on [Server name]. Check the database connection information and make sure that the database server is running..

     

    I've checked and confirmed that the database is up and running and can indeed be connected to, I've tried checking the permissions in the database and in the sharepoint admin site (As the error message hints that this could be the issue) and all seems good. The passwords for the Sharepoint processes haven't changed, no updates have taken place, the only work that was being carried out was the adding of a "Hello world" WebPart (Which has been removed from the server and the webcofing rolled back, just in case this is what caused the problem).

     

    I'm a bit out of ideas as what to try next,

    Thanks for any help anyone can give

    Monday, November 5, 2007 9:55 AM

All replies

  • If you have not already, I suggest you check out the diagnostic log in the 12 hive.  http://paulgalvin.spaces.live.com/Blog/cns!1CC1EDB3DAA9B8AA!154.entry

     

    Monday, November 5, 2007 12:13 PM
  • Hi Paul

    I forgot to add to my post I did look at the log files,
    It appears that problems started when the tracing services lost the trace events, and then was unable to find the content database.
    Monday, November 5, 2007 1:16 PM
  • So After wasting (?) four days I’ve deleted all web applications and created new ones, which all work fine.
    I copied the content databases in hope of being able to pull any critical work out of them and in to the new sites.

    I would still like to know what happened, if anyone can at least hazard a guess (I still have backups of log files if need be) it would be much appreciated.

    Tuesday, November 6, 2007 9:20 AM
  • for future searchers:
    the same issue just happened to me. randomly, my moss portal stopped working. out of curiosity, i logged on to the sql box as the account the identity was running under. i immediately got the notice that the password expired and and that it needed to be changed immediately. i cancelled out, logged on to my AD server and set that account's password to never expire. immediately, my portal and central admin started working. This could just be coincidental, so I'd be very curious to hear if future searches can resolve this issue doing the same.

    kipper stiever
    sharepoint developer
    Wednesday, April 9, 2008 2:07 PM