none
User display name issue RRS feed

• Question

• Good afternoon, 

We are encountering an issue with user display names in lists.  The issue only appears when users have a space in their last name. Ex:  "Van Gogh, Vincent"

In cases where the last name contains a space and the list column specifies that either  "first Name" or "last name" is specified as the field shown for the person or group a blank is returned.  If however the "name" field is specified the user's full is displayed correctly.

Monday, November 14, 2016 10:27 PM

All replies

• Hi Alex,

I cannot reproduce this issue. I have created a user and his last name includes a space in it. After a full synchronization, go to User Profile Service > Manage User Profiles > search for this user, I can see the values display in the first name and list name fields.

And these fields (first name and last name properties) also show values in the User Information List.

The build number of my testing SharePoint server is 14.0.7155.5000.

For this issue, please re-start a full synchronization. After that, re-add the user by granting site permissions to him, then check if the properties has value in the User Information List.

Best regards,

Linda Zhang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Tuesday, November 15, 2016 5:25 AM
  • I believe more clarification may be in order.  The name appears correctly in all aspects from the User Profile service in central administration, and so the issue does not appear to be an AD synchronization issue. 

The issue being experienced only occurs at the site collection level.  In particular on lists and libraries where a column is added of type 'Person or group' and the field selected to display is either Last Name or First Name.

Tuesday, November 15, 2016 2:55 PM
  • Hi Alex,

I have reproduced this issue in my server with May 2016 CU (version number is 15.0.4823.1003). The people picker fields which show First Name and Last Name are empty. But when I test in RTM server, it works fine. I suppose that this issue is caused by CU. I will install CU for checking it.

Meanwhile, you could install the latest CU to see if the issue is resolved.

Best Regards,

Linda Zhang

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, November 16, 2016 10:51 AM
  • Currently we are running the September 2016 CU (15.0.4859.1000), and are planning on install of the October 2016 CU next week.
    Wednesday, November 16, 2016 3:08 PM
  • Hi Alex,

I have tested it again in SharePoint with November 2016 CU (15.0.4875.1000), the same issue occurs. The First Name and Last Name are empty.

For this issue, you could submit your feedback to SharePoint UserVoice (https://sharepoint.uservoice.com/).

We’re eager to hear your feedback and use it to continuously provide the best intranet in your pocket.

Best regards,

Linda Zhang

Tuesday, November 22, 2016 1:24 AM