none
Effects of changing retention policies RRS feed

• Question

• Exchange 2016 latest CU

Greetings all!

Does exchange undo changes made in a previous retention policies when you change policies?

E.g. I have 2 policies. Both of these policies archive items in all the default folders after two years. One of the policies also adds a personal tag that allows users to flag individual items so they don't get archived.

Does Exchange undo affects of old retention policies or is it just going forward? I don't want to have exchange un-archive all of the users email just to turn around and re-archive them again. I think exchange is smarter than that but want to get some opinions before pulling the trigger.

TIA!

Thursday, January 24, 2019 4:37 PM

Answers

• Exchange doesn't undo retention policies.

For e.g. if you have policy with 90 days old items archive and change it to 30 days. The emails will not come back to user primary mailbox.

For more information on retention policies have a look on below:-

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/Exchange/policy-and-compliance/mrm/retention-tags-and-retention-policies?view=exchserver-2019

Thanks, Ashish (I can be wrong but can't be rude) “Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn.” MCITP, MCT, MCSE. Please remember to vote and mark the replies as answers if they help.

Thursday, January 24, 2019 6:03 PM

All replies

• No, it doesn't. In your scenario the messages that were already moved to the archive folder will stay there. It might however change the retention period/action on items that are still in Inbox (or other folders).
    Thursday, January 24, 2019 6:01 PM
  • Exchange doesn't undo retention policies.

For e.g. if you have policy with 90 days old items archive and change it to 30 days. The emails will not come back to user primary mailbox.

For more information on retention policies have a look on below:-

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/Exchange/policy-and-compliance/mrm/retention-tags-and-retention-policies?view=exchserver-2019

Thanks, Ashish (I can be wrong but can't be rude) “Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn.” MCITP, MCT, MCSE. Please remember to vote and mark the replies as answers if they help.

Thursday, January 24, 2019 6:03 PM
  • Thanks Vasil.

Curious, if we have the exact same archive tags between the 2 retention policies why would the retention change?

Thursday, January 24, 2019 7:00 PM