veiwing mailbox sizes in exchange 2007

Question

• Is it me or is Exchange 2007 missing mailbox size? i cant anywhere to veiw the size of a users mailbox.

Thursday, October 26, 2006 9:45 AM

Answers

• As already said it was this feature was left out of the console in RTM and SP1 for some unknown reason.
    But the data is still available via command shell; the script given will dump you the data alphabetically and in bits in the command shell.
    Another variation Get-MailboxStatistics that I have found gives you a more user friendly output is

Get-MailboxStatistics | Sort-Object TotalItemSize -Descending | ft DisplayName,@{label="TotalItemSize(MB)";expression={$_.TotalItemSize.Value.ToMB()}},ItemCount

This script will list all mailboxes starting with the largest then Descending down the page it will also give you number of items in each mailbox and list size in MB.

You can adjust the Size metric given by changing {$_.TotalItemSize.Value.ToMB()} to ether {$_.TotalItemSize.Value.ToKB()} or if you are unlucky {$_.TotalItemSize.Value.ToGB()}. Also if you would like to change the listing at the top of the report make a similar change to the "TotalItemSize(MB)" expression.

Hope this helps

J
    • Marked as answer by Amit Tank Friday, December 19, 2008 1:30 AM
    Thursday, May 29, 2008 4:04 PM
  • Looks like this cmdlet does the trick:

get-mailboxstatistics | fl displayname,totalitemsize

• Proposed as answer by Amit Tank Tuesday, December 16, 2008 12:34 PM
    Monday, October 30, 2006 5:38 PM
  • I had documented it with some of the examples...

EMC - Where are Mailbox Total Items & Size (KB) Columns?

Thursday, May 29, 2008 4:38 PM

All replies

• Looks like this cmdlet does the trick:

get-mailboxstatistics | fl displayname,totalitemsize

Monday, October 30, 2006 5:38 PM
  • As already said it was this feature was left out of the console in RTM and SP1 for some unknown reason.
    But the data is still available via command shell; the script given will dump you the data alphabetically and in bits in the command shell.
    Another variation Get-MailboxStatistics that I have found gives you a more user friendly output is

Get-MailboxStatistics | Sort-Object TotalItemSize -Descending | ft DisplayName,@{label="TotalItemSize(MB)";expression={$_.TotalItemSize.Value.ToMB()}},ItemCount

This script will list all mailboxes starting with the largest then Descending down the page it will also give you number of items in each mailbox and list size in MB.

You can adjust the Size metric given by changing {$_.TotalItemSize.Value.ToMB()} to ether {$_.TotalItemSize.Value.ToKB()} or if you are unlucky {$_.TotalItemSize.Value.ToGB()}. Also if you would like to change the listing at the top of the report make a similar change to the "TotalItemSize(MB)" expression.

Hope this helps

J
    Thursday, May 29, 2008 4:04 PM
  • I had documented it with some of the examples...

EMC - Where are Mailbox Total Items & Size (KB) Columns?

Thursday, May 29, 2008 4:38 PM
  • How utterly stupid is it to leave out one of the most important pieces of information an Exchange admin can have? The more I see of Ex2K7 the more I think MS should have postponed it's release until they actually finished writing the code.

3/10. Must try harder.

Tuesday, July 01, 2008 2:59 PM
  • If you want to see the size of just one mailbox - just go to the properties of the mailbox and you can see the size and total number of items under the General Tab. 

Though I agree the way Exchange 2003 showed the size was a lot more useful.

Friday, July 11, 2008 8:19 AM
  • Hi guys, do you know how to do if I want to display the total size for all the mailboxes store on a certain Storage Group or Server?

Thanks, Marcelo.

Friday, October 03, 2008 8:21 PM
  • Hi Marcelo,

Check the article which I gave in my above post.

Friday, October 03, 2008 8:24 PM
  • OK, I'm not having much luck with the cmdlet - I'm sure it's me - it's that kind of week.

In the Exch Management Shell I typed:

I get nothing.

I need chocolate.

Tuesday, October 28, 2008 8:08 PM
  • I just installed the Exchange 2003 Management Tools on another server and use it to view the new Exchange 2007 mailboxes. Take care not to use this tool to do any management of the system, but using it to view is no problem.

Wednesday, November 12, 2008 3:28 PM
  • There is a nice tool called Message Stats that can provide this one as well as many other exchange related reports and metrics.

Hope this helps!

http://www.questmessagestats.com
    Wednesday, February 11, 2009 4:22 PM
  • Here's my contribution. I wrote this script to include some additional information in the Mailbox size report:

Get-User -ResultSize Unlimited | Where {$_.RecipientType -eq "UserMailbox"} | Select DisplayName, Company, City | foreach {

$MailboxInfo = Get-Mailbox -identity $_.displayName
    $MailboxStat = Get-MailboxStatistics -identity $_.displayName

Add-Member -InputObject $_ noteProperty UseDefault $MailboxInfo.UseDatabaseQuotaDefaults
    Add-Member -InputObject $_ noteProperty WarningQuota $MailboxInfo.IssueWarningQuota
    Add-Member -InputObject $_ noteProperty SendQuota $MailboxInfo.ProhibitSendQuota
    Add-Member -InputObject $_ noteProperty SendRecieveQutoa $MailboxInfo.ProhibitSendReceiveQuota

Add-Member -InputObject $_ noteProperty QuotaStatus $MailboxStat.StorageLimitStatus
    Add-Member -InputObject $_ noteProperty TotalItems $MailboxStat.ItemCount
    Add-Member -InputObject $_ noteProperty TotalSizeMB $MailboxStat.TotalItemSize.Value.ToMB()
    Add-Member -InputObject $_ noteProperty DeleteItems $MailboxStat.DeletedItemCount
    Add-Member -InputObject $_ noteProperty DeletedSizeMB $MailboxStat.TotalDeletedItemSize.Value.ToMB() -PassThru

} | Export-Csv -Path D:\MailboxSize.csv

• Proposed as answer by Aldermo Thursday, April 23, 2009 11:44 AM
    Thursday, April 23, 2009 11:43 AM

• Leave it to MS to make admin more difficult.  What I need to do is move the largest mailboxes from my Exchange 2003 server to a store on my new Exchange 2007 server.  I just want to sort by mailbox size so I can separate the current mailboxes into two different stores on the new system.  Do I seriously have to learn Powershell scripting just to get what used to be a very simple task accomplished?    I have too much on my plate right now and don't have the time, or frankly, the desire to learn PS.  There has to be a better way.  Does anybody know what it is?

Thursday, May 28, 2009 10:43 PM
  • well, does anyone?
    Friday, July 03, 2009 11:48 AM
  • Dont you love it when it seems like a doomsday virus has wiped out the rest of the human race?

I'd like to know too.
    Wednesday, August 12, 2009 9:28 PM
  • Dovilla, whatsys

You should really start a new question, as the original question has been answered correctly multiple times.

You don't indicate what it is you want to know.

Karl
    Wednesday, August 12, 2009 9:37 PM
  • Here's my contribution. I wrote this script to include some additional information in the Mailbox size report:

Get-User -ResultSize Unlimited | Where {$_.RecipientType -eq "UserMailbox"} | Select DisplayName, Company, City | foreach {

Add-Member -InputObject $_ noteProperty UseDefault $MailboxInfo.UseDatabaseQuotaDefaults
    Add-Member -InputObject $_ noteProperty WarningQuota $MailboxInfo.IssueWarningQuota
    Add-Member -InputObject $_ noteProperty SendQuota $MailboxInfo.ProhibitSendQuota
    Add-Member -InputObject $_ noteProperty SendRecieveQutoa $MailboxInfo.ProhibitSendReceiveQuota

Add-Member -InputObject $_ noteProperty QuotaStatus $MailboxStat.StorageLimitStatus
    Add-Member -InputObject $_ noteProperty TotalSizeMB $MailboxStat.TotalItemSize.Value.ToMB()
    Add-Member -InputObject $_ noteProperty DeleteItems $MailboxStat.DeletedItemCount
    Add-Member -InputObject $_ noteProperty DeletedSizeMB $MailboxStat.TotalDeletedItemSize.Value.ToMB() -PassThru

} | Export-Csv -Path D:\MailboxSize.csv

Hope this thread is still live!?

Hi Aldermo - I think your script works great. Only thing missing for me is that I'd like a column for the Exchange ALIAS. Do you know how to incorporate this into your script?

Thanks -- LL
    • Proposed as answer by Ruud van Strijp Thursday, September 20, 2012 1:45 PM
    Tuesday, December 15, 2009 10:59 AM
  • Hope this thread is still live!?

Hi Aldermo - I think your script works great. Only thing missing for me is that I'd like a column for the Exchange ALIAS. Do you know how to incorporate this into your script?

Thanks -- LL
    Tuesday, December 15, 2009 11:00 AM
  • Hope this thread is still live!?

Thanks -- LL

Hi,

Simply complete the first section with the line marked with bold to include the mailbox alias:

Add-Member -InputObject $_ noteProperty MBAlias $MailboxInfo.Alias

Best Regards,
    Henrik

Tuesday, December 15, 2009 11:30 AM
  • Thanks so much for the quick response - it's worked a treat!

I thought this thread was dead so I posted another post in the forum - but I'll go kill that off now.

Thanks again H!

L
    Tuesday, December 15, 2009 11:38 AM
  • Aldermo

your script works great, thanks man.  You saved me some time.

SG
    Friday, January 29, 2010 12:45 AM
  • Aldermo,

No doubt, the script is gr8.

We are having multiple smtp domains, how can i get the Primary SmTP address of the users in the above script.

Regards
    Supreet Singh
    Sunday, March 07, 2010 9:21 PM
  • You could try the following to get the SMTP Address. It works in our enviroment.

Add-Member -InputObject $_ noteProperty MBEmail $MailboxInfo.WindowsEmailAddress

Put it right below the "Alias" line.

Best Regards,
    Henrik Aldermo

Monday, March 08, 2010 8:48 AM
  • Hi Aldermo,

The script works great in lab, where we have only E2K7 machines. While in production we have E2K3 and E2K7 mixed environment. This is where it starts throwing error messages;

"The specified mailbox "username" does not exist in an exchange 2007 mailbox Database." Can you advise any workaround for this ?

Thanks

Tuesday, March 30, 2010 7:27 PM
  • Hi,

Note: the post which i replied to has been deleted by the poster, so plz some one unpropose it as asnwer.

Plz use it

Get-MailboxStatistics -Database "Mailbox Database (A to F)" | Select DisplayName, LastLoggedOnUserAccount, ItemCount, @{expression={$_.totalitemsize.value.ToMB()};label="Size(MB)"} | Export-Csv c:\export\af.csv -NoTypeInformation

instead of format-table use Select and also append  -NoTypeInformation.

Regards,

Laeeq Qazi|Team Lead(Exchange + Sharepoint + BES + DynamicsCRM) www.HostingController.com
    • Proposed as answer by Laeeq Qazi Friday, April 09, 2010 12:04 PM
    Friday, April 09, 2010 12:03 PM
  • Ok, I am sorry for asking this question, but I assume one would run this script in the Exchange Management Shell? If so, it is not working for me. I am starting the EMS and then just copying and pasting your script above and yet no CSV file for me to look at. I know I am doing something stupid so just let me know what I am doing wrong. Thanks.
    Monday, August 09, 2010 1:55 AM
  • No problem. Forums are for asking questions! :-)

You should save the script to a .ps1-file, like "MBExport.ps1". Then execute it from the EMS with .\MBExport.ps1.

Monday, August 09, 2010 1:09 PM
  • Hello,

First question for me, what is EMS?

I also had a problem running a simple Get-MailboxStatistics in the powerShell window.

I also just want to find the size of all mailboxes so that I know to contact users before they hit the limit as a few are doing this every week.

Thanks.

Sunday, October 10, 2010 2:26 PM
  • EMS = Exchange Management Shell (Powershell)

Open EMS using run as administrator.

Run

get-mailboxstatistics -server <ExchangeServerHostName>

Note: Remove < and > when you enter the hostname of the Exchange Server.

To see more examples run
    Get-help get-mailboxstatistics -examples

--
    Regards,
    Vik Singh
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please remember to click �??Mark as Answer�?� on the post that helps you, and to click �??Unmark as Answer�?� if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Hello,

First question for me, what is EMS?

I also had a problem running a simple Get-MailboxStatistics in the powerShell window.

I also just want to find the size of all mailboxes so that I know to contact users before they hit the limit as a few are doing this every week.

Thanks.

• Proposed as answer by Vik Singh Sunday, October 10, 2010 6:38 PM
    Sunday, October 10, 2010 4:15 PM
  • Hi,

I followed your document and it worked as well, but I am not able to export it in csv file as your document explained.. 

How do I get all info in XLS or TXT or CSV in readable format.

Regards

Sunil

IT Guy
    Wednesday, January 12, 2011 1:02 PM
  • Sunil;

Which script are you running?

Karl

http://unlockpowershell.wordpress.com
    -join("6B61726C6D69747363686B65406D742E6E6574"-split"(?<=\G.{2})",19|%{[char][int]"0x$_"})
    Wednesday, January 12, 2011 2:58 PM
  • Hi,

I using script:

Get-MailboxStatistics -Database “Mailbox Database” | Format-Table DisplayName, LastLoggedOnUserAccount, ItemCount, @{expression={$_.totalitemsize.value.ToMB()};label=”Size(MB)”}, LastLogonTime, LastLogoffTime | Export-Csv MailboxSize.csv

As I have more than 400 hundred users and I need the list with mailbox size.

Regards

Sunil

IT Guy
    Saturday, January 15, 2011 8:07 AM
  • Thanks for the info, did the trick great!
    Sunday, January 16, 2011 6:01 AM
  • Sunil;

Never use a Format- cmdlet before sending data to Export-Csv

Use Select-Object instead.

PowerShell V1:

Get-MailboxStatistics -Database "Mailbox Database" |Select-Object DisplayName, LastLoggedOnUserAccount, ItemCount, @{expression={$_.totalitemsize.value.ToMB()};label=”Size(MB)”}, LastLogonTime, LastLogoffTime | Export-Csv MailboxSize.csv -NoTypeInformation

PowerShell V2:

$MailboxStatistics = @{
    Database = "Mailbox Database"
    }
    $Select = @{
    Property = "DisplayName","LastLoggedOnUserAccount","ItemCount",
    @{expression={$_.totalitemsize.value.ToMB()};label=”Size(MB)”},
    "LastLogonTime","LastLogoffTime"
    }
    $Csv = @{
    Path = "MailboxSize.csv"
    NoTypeInformation = $true 
    }
    Get-MailboxStatistics @MailboxStatistics |Select-Object @Select |Export-Csv @Csv

Karl
    -join("6B61726C6D69747363686B65406D742E6E6574"-split"(?<=\G.{2})",19|%{[char][int]"0x$_"})
    Tuesday, January 18, 2011 4:32 PM
  • worked for me!
    Monday, May 16, 2011 9:55 PM
  • I ran the following..

But it only listed about half my users.  Do I have to go run this on every mailbox server?  How can i run this from one server and get my whole organization?

Tuesday, June 07, 2011 8:52 PM
  • Hi,

You would have to pass each of the mailbox server to get-mailboxStatistics command like this

Get-MailboxServer| Get-MailboxStatistics | Sort-Object TotalItemSize -Descending | ft DisplayName,@{label="TotalItemSize(MB)";expression={$_.TotalItemSize.Value.ToMB()}},ItemCount

It would return all of your mailboxes' stats.

Regards,

Laeeq Qazi|Team Lead(Exchange + Sharepoint + BES + DynamicsCRM) www.HostingController.com
    Wednesday, June 08, 2011 8:25 AM
  • Dear Aldermo - I like this script so much. Can you 2 more column, "last login user" and "active/online users. 

Many thanks

~r

Friday, July 01, 2011 8:42 AM
  • Not sure what you mean about "active/online users"?

I'd modify Aldermo's script as follows:

Get-User -ResultSize Unlimited -Filter 'RecipientType -eq "UserMailbox"' | Select DisplayName, Company, City | foreach {

Add-Member -InputObject $_ noteProperty MBAlias $MailboxInfo.Alias

Add-Member -InputObject $_ noteProperty DeletedSizeMB $MailboxStat.TotalDeletedItemSize.Value.ToMB()
    Add-Member -InputObject $_ noteProperty LastLoginUser $MailboxStat.LastLoggedOnUserAccount -PassThru
    } | Export-Csv -Path D:\MailboxSize.csv -NoTypeInformation

Once you explain the  "active/online users", perhaps we can add that as well.

Notice my use of -Filter on the first line - that is much faster than the |Where from the original code.

See my blog post "Use the -Filter, Luke" for more information on that.

Karl

Co-Author, Windows PowerShell 2.0 Bible
    Friday, July 01, 2011 2:34 PM
  • Hello Karl,

I need your help. The exchange policy for mailbox in my company is 1GB per user. So I need to know who are the users below 1GB. Can you please provide me with a script/command for users who are below 1GB in mailbox size so I can help the technical support here in upgrading these users mailbox capacity. Please send me an email on bmoussa84@gmail.com

Tuesday, July 05, 2011 8:20 AM
  • Try this:

Get-Mailbox -Filter {ProhibitSendQuota -notlike 1048576 -and UseDatabaseQuotaDefaults -eq $false}
    Karl

Co-Author, Windows PowerShell 2.0 Bible
    Thursday, July 21, 2011 8:48 PM
  • Ok , well i must be the random one out of everyone here. All the scripts above have come in really handy. is there any way of storing the mailbox size into a variable. i want to write a script so that when users ask to increase their mailbox limit i can just run that and it will increment the size of the mailbox by 100 MB. i think i know how to do the incremental bit i just cant see how to get the 'current' mailbox size into a variable.  any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Friday, July 22, 2011 5:13 PM
  • On Fri, 22 Jul 2011 17:13:27 +0000, Nickda_corfu wrote:

>
    >
    >Ok , well i must be the random one out of everyone here. All the scripts above have come in really handy. is there any way of storing the mailbox size into a variable. i want to write a script so that when users ask to increase their mailbox limit i can just run that and it will increment the size of the mailbox by 100 MB. i think i know how to do the incremental bit i just cant see how to get the 'current' mailbox size into a variable. any help would be greatly appreciated.

This is an example of how you can do that:

get-mailbox <user> | get-mailboxstatistics | foreach {
    $s=$_.totalitemsize.value.tostring();$s = + 100MB; $s = [int]($s/1KB);
    set-mailbox $_.legacyDN -ProhibitSendReceiveQuota ($s + "KB")}

---
    Rich Matheisen
    MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

--- Rich Matheisen MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
    Friday, July 22, 2011 10:16 PM
  • Great, thanks a lot
    Saturday, July 23, 2011 6:45 PM
  • On Fri, 22 Jul 2011 22:16:06 +0000, Rich Matheisen [MVP] wrote:

>On Fri, 22 Jul 2011 17:13:27 +0000, Nickda_corfu wrote: > > >Ok , well i must be the random one out of everyone here. All the scripts above have come in really handy. is there any way of storing the mailbox size into a variable. i want to write a script so that when users ask to increase their mailbox limit i can just run that and it will increment the size of the mailbox by 100 MB. i think i know how to do the incremental bit i just cant see how to get the 'current' mailbox size into a variable. any help would be greatly appreciated. This is an example of how you can do that: get-mailbox <user> | get-mailboxstatistics | foreach { $s=$_.totalitemsize.value.tostring();$s = + 100MB; $s = [int]($s/1KB); set-mailbox $_.legacyDN -ProhibitSendReceiveQuota ($s + "KB")} --- Rich Matheisen MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

Oops! That "$s = + 100MB" should have been "$s += 100MB".

Sometimes my fingers and brain lose synchronization. :-(

---
    Rich Matheisen
    MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

--- Rich Matheisen MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
    Saturday, July 23, 2011 9:39 PM
  • This command help me and displayed it in a decending list as well

[PS] C:\>Get-MailboxStatistics | where {$_.ObjectClass -eq "Mailbox"} | Sort-Object TotalItemSize -Descending | ft DisplayName,@{expression={$_.TotalItemSize.Value.ToMB()}},ItemCount,StorageLimitStatus

Best Regards LNM

Friday, January 04, 2013 10:03 AM
  • I've read through most of these postings and they are very informative, but I'm looking for something different. In Exchange 2007, I need to report on the following. Can someone help?

User Name, Inbox Items, Inbox Size, Deleted Items, Deleted Size, Sent Items, Sent Size, Junk Email Items, Junk Email Size, Total Mailbox Items, Total Mailbox Size.

Send the results to a CSV file.

Best Regards, Tony

Friday, February 28, 2014 2:32 PM
  • Awsm..... Thanku ... :P
    Thursday, March 27, 2014 7:57 AM
  • Hi,

I using script:

Get-MailboxStatistics -Database “Mailbox Database” | Format-Table DisplayName, LastLoggedOnUserAccount, ItemCount, @{expression={$_.totalitemsize.value.ToMB()};label=”Size(MB)”}, LastLogonTime, LastLogoffTime | Export-Csv MailboxSize.csv

As I have more than 400 hundred users and I need the list with mailbox size.

Regards

Sunil

IT Guy

it worked ammazingly
    Thursday, March 27, 2014 7:58 AM
  • Fab thread, but just wondering if anyone can add an extra element for me

I need to know which Storage group each of the mailboxes is in, please?

(we currently have 4)

Thanks for any help

Nigel

Wednesday, June 11, 2014 10:24 AM