Exchange 2016 - Importing .PST files into mailboxes already in use FAILS RRS feed

• Question

• Recently I asked what preparation was needed to import .PST files into mailboxes already populated. Everyone said something like "No Problem".

When I said "populated" I meant mailboxes populated with messages, calendars etc.  But now I find you can't import .PST files into mailboxes already in use.  ALERTS:  Import PST of mailbox "%Alias%" has failed . .

I have no problem importing into mailboxes that are empty.   So how to import .PST files into mailboxes already in use ?  It works to delete the User Accounts and Mailbox, but I would rather not.

Thank You

Friday, May 11, 2018 12:42 PM

All replies

• Well, I will refer you on below technet references which should be helpful to understand the environment and accomplish this job appropriately :

Procedures for mailbox exports to .pst files in Exchange 2016 - https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt784720%28v=exchg.160%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

And, https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt784721(v=exchg.160).aspx

In case you still facing issues, I would suggest you for any good third party solution like, Shoviv edb to pst converter which should be an ideal solution for you.

These articles like all other Microsoft documentation on the topic apparently assume the .pst import is to new empty mailboxes.  The import procedures described in these documents always fail for me when the mailboxes are already in use.

In my case I imported to empty mailboxes 2 weeks ago but then the cutover to the new server was postponed.  Now I must import the mailboxes again to bring the new server up to date.

I will probably just delete all the mailboxes which also deletes the user accounts when performed from EAC. 

• Edited by swb_mct Sunday, May 13, 2018 4:47 PM
    Saturday, May 12, 2018 2:03 PM
  • Hi,

Could you please describe the issue symptom in details? 
    What is the detailed command line? Is there any error message when you run the New-MailboxImportRequest? 

We need to confirm the above mentioned information with you so that we could provide the further troubleshooting steps for you.

Regards,

Manu Meng

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Monday, May 14, 2018 9:00 AM
  • I later found the problem was not because the mailbox was already populated with messages.
    The problem was that the .PST-Import of all mailboxes larger than ~5GB ended with an IMPORT FAILED MESSAGE.  The Quota was set at 8GB for all mailboxes set at the Database not at the User.

The large mailboxes with the FAILED message at the end of the import actually worked fine.  The total message count and all mailbox features work the same as on the source Exchange server. 

So this is no longer a problem, except for the mysterious IMPORT FAILED MESSAGE on more than half of our email accounts.

• Edited by swb_mct Tuesday, May 15, 2018 12:47 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Manu Meng Thursday, May 17, 2018 1:59 AM
    Tuesday, May 15, 2018 12:46 PM
  • Hi,

Glad to know issue got resolved! 

If you don't mind, we'd suggest you mark the replies above as answers, so it will be easy for other community members to find the useful one/ones.

Thanks a lot for your understanding.

Regards,

Manu Meng

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Proposed as answer by Manu Meng Wednesday, May 23, 2018 6:41 PM
    Thursday, May 17, 2018 2:01 AM