none
Audience target - Item level Permissions RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Could anyone tell me if it is possible to have a document library that displays specific documents based on group memberships. Audience targeting only gets me half way as it is not permission based, so I am lead to believe. Ideally, it is audience targeting but permission based. If they access a file that they should not, it gives them access denied message.  

Many thanks

Wednesday, June 26, 2019 2:54 PM

All replies

• Hi,

If i understand the question correctly, you could set two things:

1. Adding a 2010 workflow in the document library and create an Impersonation step. The step will replace the permissions that it already has, to unique permissions by breaking the inheritance. 

Steps In Detail:

1. Create a 2010 designer workflow ( If you use 2013 workflow, you could use App step instead). The reason, we are going to 2010 is because it should be good enough for this purpose. 
    2. Add Impersonation Step 
    3. Click "These Permissions" --> Select Add from "Replace List Item Permissions"--> Click Choose from "Add Permissions" --> Select People/Groups from SharePoint site and select your group.

2. Setting Item level permissions from library settings--> Advanced settings --> Item level permissions. 

Note: Im new to blogging and I do not have enough permissions to share the links or images. But i believe that this should give you some ideas. Thank you. 

Wednesday, June 26, 2019 3:46 PM
  • Hi, Kier4n,

As you use audience targeting, the non-audience group shall not be able to see the file. They will not be able to access the file through the library UI directly. 

And if you hope to make sure the non-audience group will not have permission to access the file. You can manage the Item-level permission via the Shared With button in the ribbon. Select advanced button and stop inheriting permissions. Configure unique permission settings. And then the users in those groups will not have access.

Best Regards

Jerry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Thursday, June 27, 2019 6:27 AM
  • Thanks Jerry, I will give this a go.
    Thursday, June 27, 2019 8:42 AM
  • Many thanks, we are currently moving to SharePoint Online modern sites but this would be an ideal fall back option.
    Thursday, June 27, 2019 8:45 AM
  • Hi, Kier4n,

Is there any update about your task?

Best Regards

Jerry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Monday, July 1, 2019 9:55 AM