none
Storing E-Mails in SharePoint with Special Characters RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I'm working on a way to store e-mails in MOSS 2007, and I'd like to have my users be able to drag and drop multiple e-mails from Outlook to a document library using explorer view.  This is working fine for some e-mails, but in the past few days I've ran into an issue with e-mails that have special characters in the subject.

When I drag and drop an e-mail from Outlook to explorer view, it automatically saves the e-mail as "e-mail subject".msg.  In cases where the subject of the e-mail contains an invalid character such as # or * (listed in KB905231) I get a "the parameter is incorrect" error.

I understand why these characters are not allowed in file names in SharePoint, but it seems to me that there has to be a way to intelligently strip out the invalid characters as they are being dragged and dropped into explorer view.  I understand that you can "Save As" the e-mail from Outlook and change the file name to something that does not have the special characters in it, but this is too tedious for my users and I need them to be able to simply drag and drop the file into Explorer view from Outlook.  In cases where they are trying to drag and drop multiple e-mails at the same time, it is a real pain to scroll through all of them and track down the one with the invalid characters.

If anyone has any feedback on this I'd love to hear from you.  Does anyone know of a way to have these characters automatically removed from the subject of the e-mail when it is being saved to SharePoint?

Tuesday, August 10, 2010 10:33 PM

Answers

• Have you considered assigning an email address to your document library and simply CC'ing that into your email?  So long as your users remember to not use special characters (a list of the exact characters can be found within the SharePoint help files) in their title fields, this may solve your problem.
    http://www.final-exodus.net
    • Marked as answer by Stanfford Liu Friday, August 20, 2010 3:00 AM
    Wednesday, August 11, 2010 8:09 AM
    Answerer