none
Power Query Active Directory - how to pull a list of users email and network ID RRS feed

• Question

• I love using Power Query to pull data from Active Directory. Very useful for group management and the like. I'm stuck though when trying to pull a users network ID. I can't seem to find that field. For simplicity, lets say I need to report all users with their email address and network id. Assuming a domain of "MyCo" I need to see:

john.doe@myco.com     myco\doej1

jane.doe@myco.com     myco\doej2

Can someone guide me to where I can find the network id using Power Query with Active Directory as the source???

-PentaGalDad

Friday, October 27, 2017 3:03 PM

Answers

• Just to define some terms, you are looking for:

email    domain\alias

You should be able to get all the information from the user object.

email: You can expand the user column to expose the mail field which is the primary email address.

alias: You can expand the securityPrincipal column to expose the sAMAccountName

domain: This is where it gets a little tricky.  The domain name should be the first DC segment of the distinguishedName column.  You can get that value by adding a custom column with this formula
    Text.Middle(List.First(List.Select(Splitter.SplitTextByDelimiter(",")([distinguishedName]), (value) => Text.StartsWith(value, "DC="))), 3))

Saturday, October 28, 2017 6:45 AM

All replies

• Do you know how to use regular AD commands? If you can the right command, you could use the technique I cover here. https://exceleratorbi.com.au/power-query-command-screen-output/

Self Service BI Expert using Power Pivot http://exceleratorbi.com.au

Saturday, October 28, 2017 4:08 AM
  • Just to define some terms, you are looking for:

email    domain\alias

You should be able to get all the information from the user object.

email: You can expand the user column to expose the mail field which is the primary email address.

alias: You can expand the securityPrincipal column to expose the sAMAccountName

domain: This is where it gets a little tricky.  The domain name should be the first DC segment of the distinguishedName column.  You can get that value by adding a custom column with this formula
    Text.Middle(List.First(List.Select(Splitter.SplitTextByDelimiter(",")([distinguishedName]), (value) => Text.StartsWith(value, "DC="))), 3))

Saturday, October 28, 2017 6:45 AM
  • AWESOME!!!

I have looked for NetworkID many times and always came up short. Seems so easy now. <head slap>

-PentaGalDad

Friday, February 9, 2018 5:17 PM