none
Best Approach Question RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have a custom list that contains employee information for the finance department.  Per the Finance directors instructions, I have added two additional columns to this list:

Primary Area of Responsiblity [Allow Multiple Selection]
    Secondary Area of Responsibility. [Allow Multiple Selection]

Both of these columns are lookup columns to the AreaOfResponsibility list.

Each employee in the finance department is assigned a Primary and a Secondary "Area of Responsilibity".

What I want to do is to create a view that is Grouped by Primary and Secondary "A or R".  However when I go to the Group by section of the view configuration panel, I do see these columns.

Can someone give me an idea on how I can achieve the desired results based on these two columns?

Thank you for your comments and help.

Sincerely,
    Tim
    Monday, December 22, 2008 4:37 PM

All replies

• You _do_ see those two columns, or you _don't_?  I have a large custom list with a lot of custom metadata, and one column is a lookup to another list.  I am able to group, sort, and flter based on this lookup column no problem.  Can you look more closely at this and give us more details?

Your approach is proper, imo.
    Monday, December 22, 2008 5:32 PM
  • I believe the issue is that you are trying to group on a Multiple Selection fields.  These fields are not available for grouping since the entry and live in multiple groups.
    • Marked as answer by Paul Galvin Monday, December 22, 2008 9:28 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by tmichaelf Monday, January 12, 2009 3:00 PM
    Monday, December 22, 2008 5:57 PM
  • Duh, my fault.  I took "Multiple selection" to mean a choice field.  Yes, you cannot group Multi-Select fields.  Is there a reason to have them set as multi-select when you have primary and secondary defined in separate columns?  Shouldn't those be single-select fields?  If you make them as such, then you will be able to group those columns.
    Monday, December 22, 2008 6:18 PM
  • Hi Calyton,

The reasoning behind the multi-select is that any individual can have secondary responsibility to multiple areas.  So for instance, Anne Margrete is in charge of Stock Options queries but is also a secondary resource for Business Credit Cards and Expense Reports queries.

Does this make sense?

Thank's for your thoughts.  I am thinking that maybe a Master-Detail presentation between web parts is the way to go.  So if a user clicks on the question category for "Stock Options" then they see Anne Margrete as the primary contact for this category of information.  If there were any other individuals assigned to this topic as secondary resources, they would also display.

Thank you again.

Sincerely,
    Tim
    Monday, December 22, 2008 8:17 PM
  • How about this approach:

I have created a Area of Responsibility (AOR) Tbl that contains the collowing fields:
    Title - contains name of AOR
    Primary Resource: Contains ID of assigned Employee from the EmpList
    Secondary Resource: Contains the ID of assigned Employee from the EmpList

The view from this table looks like this:
    Title            Primary Resource            Secondary Resource
    AP A to M        3                                     5
    AP N to Z        8                                     9
    Payroll            5                                     7
    TimeSheets    9                                     4
    Credit Cards    7                                    3

I was hoping that this would allow for me to build a view where I have 2 dataviews: One for the Area of Responsiblity TBL and one for the EmpList.  I was hoping that I could use a webpart connection to display the Primary and Secondary Resources for each AOR but it will only allow me to create a single view (Primary or Secondary).  I can't get both to display.

Does anyone know how I can get both resources to display using the web part connector?

Thank you for your continued help.

Sincerely,
    Tim
    Monday, January 12, 2009 2:00 PM
  • I was about to post this when you did yourself.  All are correct in saying that you cannot filter/group on multi-select fields.  We did exactly what was shown above (w/o doing any sort of custom web part development).  Instead of using one multi-select field for Categories we created 3 single-select choice fields" Primary Category, Secondary Category and Tertiary Category.  This then allowed us to group/filter.

- M

- Michael Mukalian - MCTS: MOSS 2007 Configuration - http://www.mukalian.com/blog
    Monday, January 12, 2009 3:13 PM
  • Adding to my previous post, I decided to add an additional column called ID2 that I could use to provide the additional column to display Secondary Resource.  ID2 contains the same values as ID.

It allowed me to choose the additional column and to save without any errors however, only data in the first dataview displays on the page.  There is no data displayed in the second dataview webpart.

So my connector has 2 columns of reference:

DV Webpart1                                DV Webpart 2
    Primary Resource         match            ID
    Secondary Resource    match            ID2

Any suggested would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
    Tim
    Monday, January 12, 2009 3:16 PM
  • Thank you Michael!

You are confirming for me that I am at least on the right track.

My current problem is that because the two fields I am using in my AOR list contain integer values for employee records contained within the EMPlist, I need to discover how I can get detailed employee data to populate the view as opposed to the integer.

So I am able to group and sort successfully using your technique mentioned above but I need to extract data from the EMPlist for the integer value of each row.

Instead of:

TItle:Payroll
    Title                                Primary Resource                        Secondary Resource
    Payroll                                        5                                                    7

I need:

Title:Payroll
    Primary Resource
    Picture
    FirstName
    LastName
    Job Description
    Phone
    Email

Secondary Resource
    Picture
    FirstName
    LastName
    Job Description
    Phone
    Email

Do you have any ideas on how I can pull data out of the EmpList to gain access to these fields?

Thank you again for your post.

Sincerely,
    Tim
    Monday, January 12, 2009 3:45 PM