none
Looking for help moving documents without changing last modified or version history RRS feed

• Question

• So a particular library is growing too large and the admins have been requested to move a portion of the documents into another library.

The publishing feature is on for the site collection, so we can use the content and structure capability.

However, when a document is moved, it is given a new version number and a new modified by - the person performing the move.

The users make use of the modified by and modified date as part of their functioning.

The library is so big that creating a template with contents does not work.

Is there a way - perhaps with more permissions or something - that the moving by content and structure will move the documents without changing the modification metadata?

Tuesday, September 9, 2014 8:45 PM

All replies

• This is something I'm grappling myself with. You have several options, each with various strengths and limitations:

• Use site collection Content and structure tool:
      1. Save the existing list as a template (without saving data)
      2. Create a new list using this template (must be in same site collection)
      3. In Content and structure, navigate to list.
      4. Select list rows, and then choose Copy from Action menu.
      5. Continue until all copied over.
        NOTE: You must copy block by block of rows exactly without making any errors - if you do, the IDs will no longer match the source list and you must start over again - right from the very beginning of creating the new list.  If maintaining IDs is unimportant, then don't worry about it.
        NOTE: if any of your users have moved on and their accounts are no longer active in AD or removed, this copy action will replace all Created By and Modified By with the account you are logged in as while performing this copy action.
      6. Delete these rows from the source list.
    • Use a third-party list copy tool.  Here are a few:
    Thursday, September 18, 2014 11:28 PM
  • You can use 'save list as template' approach, but that is limited to certain list size. Moving the documents by retaining modified by and modified date is easier, you can create a small console application using managed CSOM to retain the Author, Editor and modified by fields. You can also use content deployment object model for the same task.

http://sundarnarasiman.net/?p=98

However, retaining version history is very difficult from my experience. If you want to retain version history for migration, you need to think of some commercial 3'rd party tools for migration.

Please mark the replies as answers if they help or unmark if not.

Friday, September 19, 2014 5:24 AM
  • thank you for your suggestions.

In our experience, using Content and structure, the version history is not maintained if you perform a copy operation.

If you use the move operation, then the version history is nearly intact - with the addition of a new version entry, modified by and modified date for the operation of moving the entity.

Friday, September 19, 2014 12:21 PM
  • Hi,

The way we are currently moving documents to different libraries without any version changes is to use internet Explorer.

Then while in the library which contains the documents u wish to move you click on the Library tab top left corner, and under "connect and export"  you click on "open with explorer".

Now if you wish to move it to a total different library, open the library where you want to move the items to(also in Internet explorer in a new tab).

Do exactly the same in this library(click on open with explorer).

Now you will notice that you have 2 windows open that looks like as if you are working locally. you can now cut from the one you wish to move and paste it in the other library(using the local opened explorer windows).

After you have done this you can just close the explorer windows and it will be saved on sharepoint automatically.

Hope this helps.

Friday, September 19, 2014 12:39 PM
  • hi

use "send to" feature, that also moves metadata:

Specify a Send To destination for a library

Configure Send To connections for records management

yaşamak bir eylemdir

Friday, September 19, 2014 12:41 PM
  • Hi

I recommend you to use a powershell script

If you need more details, let me know

Romeo Donca, Orange Romania (MCSE, MCITP, CCNA) Please Mark As Answer if my post solves your problem or Vote As Helpful if the post has been helpful for you.

Friday, September 19, 2014 12:47 PM
  • ahhh ! i got it. thanks all.
    Friday, September 19, 2014 12:50 PM
  • John what solved your problem?
    Friday, September 19, 2014 12:52 PM
  • John731998 is a troll bidding for clicks to a coupon url. Please 'report as abuse'
    Friday, September 19, 2014 7:45 PM