none
How to use subfolders in SendTo menu/folder RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

In Windows XP it was possible to add links in a subfolder in the SendTo folder.
    The effect would be that you can right click a file, select the SendTo menu and you would see a list of links including your subfolder which again showed a submenu.

eg:
    Send To > Mail Recepient
                     Desktop
                     Notepad
                     MySubFolder > Hex Editor
                                              File Checker
                     Wordpad
                     Fax

How can this be done in Vista and Win7?

Apparently when one creates a subfolder in the SendTo folder, only the subfolder's name will be shown and not the actual contents.

Are there any registry settings to enable this? Additions to the desktop.ini?
    Something to change in the .lnk files? Other windows settings I missed?
    Is it possible doing this with an API? Maybe with a junction point or symbolic link?

Any in-dept info on this?

- Kurt

PS: Forgive me if this is in the wrong section.

EDIT: This is not a question about where the SentTo folder is, nor how to add links to the SendTo menu.
    The question is how to make the contents of a subfolder in the SendTo folder show up as a secondary popup menu like it did in XP.

Wednesday, March 21, 2007 2:40 AM

All replies

• Bump....
    Friday, April 20, 2007 10:36 PM
  • First off I must ask, what does Bump mean?

and the answer to your question is this, in My Computer paste this into your Address Bar.

%APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\SendTo\

Good luck

Thursday, June 28, 2007 6:08 AM
  • c.Norris wrote:

> and the answer to your question is this, in My Computer paste this into your Address Bar.

> %APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\SendTo\

Sorry, but that was not my question.

I know where the SendTo folder is located as you can read from my first post.

What I wanted to know is how you can create subfolders as shortcuts in that folder.

This was possible in XP, but it doesn't work in Vista anymore.

At least not in the way you could do it in XP. I need to find the way to do it in Vista.

[OFF TOPIC]

PS: bumping a thread means reviving it so it will be put back on top of the 'latest posts'.

However, bumping a thread too much is considered spamming. As such you shouldn't bump a recent thread.

[/OFF TOPIC]

Friday, July 6, 2007 1:09 AM
  • BUMP ! would really like a way to do this as its an issue in win7 as well
    Friday, July 22, 2011 9:23 PM
  • Hi All, hmm. I hadn't noticed before - but being able to have subfolders seems a good idea. I'm certainly getting a lot of individual items building up in the 'sendTo' folder over time.

Anyone know how?

What's the difference to the folders from the Start Menu? - subfolders work there okay.. 

Bump.. pkn2011

If my post was helpful - give it a Vote. If it helps solve your problem - propose it as Answer. ;-)
    Saturday, July 23, 2011 12:36 AM
  • Hello,

In Windows XP it was possible to add links in a subfolder in the SendTo folder.

The effect would be that you can right click a file, select the SendTo menu and you

would see a list of links including your subfolder which again showed a submenu.

eg:

Send To > Mail Recepient
                     Desktop
                     Notepad
                     MySubFolder > Hex Editor
                                              File Checker
                     Wordpad
                     Fax

How can this be done in Vista?

Apparently when one creates a subfolder in the SendTo folder,

only the subfolder's name will be shown and not the actual contents.

Are there any registry settings to enable this? Additions to the desktop.ini?

Something to change in the .lnk files? Other windows settings I missed?

Is it possible doing this with an API? Maybe with a junction point or symbolic link?

Any in-dept info on this?

- Kurt

PS: Forgive me if this is in the wrong section.

Were you using this tutorial?
    If not, have a look at it:
    http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/67599-send-context-menu.html

To Eric Brady,
    The above tutorial also applies to Win 7.

If it solves your problem, I did it. If it does not, my twin brother did it.
    Saturday, July 23, 2011 6:02 PM
  • Yes indeed, there's some helpful tips there for sure.. Thanks for posting that link!  But the original question still remains unanswered I'd think.. Where if you put a folder in the sendTo path you can't get access to anything within that folder directly from the context menu. I'll have a better look there though for sure.

Regards, pkn2011

If my post was helpful - give it a Vote. If it helps solve your problem - propose it as Answer. ;-)
    Saturday, July 23, 2011 6:45 PM
  • Indeed, the question is still not answered.

Thanks for those who already posted in this thread, but those posts and links do not answer the initial question at all, unfortunatly. I start to believe that having a submenu in the SentTo menu isn't possible anymore like it was on XP. Yet another handy small feature which was removed (for no reason at all) in Vista/Win7/Win8  :'(

Monday, September 26, 2011 10:57 AM
  • CookieRevised (Kurt?), you make want to take a look at this:

http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-right-click-context-menu-add-ons.htm

Scan in there for Open++

It's available in both x86 and x64 variations (if your x64, you want to install both the x86 and x64 extensions so that it's available to use in things like an x86 applications file open dialog boxes on running on an Windows 7 x64 OS).

Once again, it's a complete FAIL from Microsoft that this feature was removed (for NO REASON W/E) on Windows 7.
    (So much for an improved experience eh? Now you can only fit as many shortcuts onto the sendto menu as you have vertical screen space, as the right click dialog box which opens DOESN'T EVEN SCROLL!... hows that for bad programming and design... Microsoft Programmers motto is obviously to DO THE BARE ESSENTIALS... THAT WILL DO FOR THEM.

Sunday, November 27, 2011 12:05 PM
  • Bump...

The problem is still present in Windows 10. It was a good feature I used in the past and It would be nice from part of Microsoft to reintroduce it again.

Sunday, August 16, 2015 8:38 PM
  • MS, Apple, even Samsung & Google (perhaps to a lesser degree) are all guilty of decision-making based on the bottom line, the share-holder factor. I blame Friedman. Regardless (f*%& the blame game), "accept what you can't change... change what you can't accept".

I've worked out a nice workaround, using RaMMicHaeL's amazing QuickFileMenu, some pretty hip-clipboard-batch-context chic, and Joel 'Jaykul' Bennett's super-useful paste.exe

You can utilise the existing SendTo menu (create sub-folders that appear, as normal in xp, in sendto)

If anyone's still interested, I'll post the 'deets and a demo.

Sunday, April 3, 2016 1:16 PM

• If anyone's still interested, I'll post the 'deets and a demo.

Please, Show how to do it

Thx

Friday, August 12, 2016 1:53 PM