none
Windows 8 Remote Desktop Error "The Requested Security Package Does Not Exist"

Question

• When my remote host (win server 2008 R2) is configured to use SSL for security layer, RDP from my Windows 8 gets  

"An authentication error has occurred. The requested security package does not exit."

When the host is set to use RDP security layer, it works fine. 

Registry key solution for Win7 suggested on other posts does not seem to apply to win8.

This is a Lenovo desktop, I uninstalled silverlight and bunch of other OEM installed programs.

Wednesday, July 03, 2013 2:20 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Please check the following registry.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\lsa

Open (double-click) the Security Packages key. Make sure the following values are inside (order probably matters)
    kerberos
    msv1_0
    schannel
    wdigest
    tspkg
    pku2u
    livessp

Niki Han
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, July 08, 2013 7:37 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Please check the following registry.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\lsa

Open (double-click) the Security Packages key. Make sure the following values are inside (order probably matters)
    kerberos
    msv1_0
    schannel
    wdigest
    tspkg
    pku2u
    livessp

Niki Han
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, July 08, 2013 7:37 AM
  • This fixed my problem in Windows 8 while connecting to a Windows 7 host.  I needed the pku2u entry.  I decided to look it up and here's the info for anyone that's interested.

Introducing PKU2U in Windows

Applies To: Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 R2

This product evaluation topic for the IT professional describes the Public Key Cryptography Based User-to-User (PKU2U) security support provider (SSP) that is new in Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2.

The PKU2U protocol in Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 is implemented as an SSP. The SSP enables peer-to-peer authentication, particularly through the Windows 7 media and file sharing feature called Homegroup, which permits sharing between computers that are not members of a domain.

Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 introduce an extension to the Negotiate authentication package, Spnego.dll. In previous versions of Windows, Negotiate decides whether to use Kerberos or NTLM for authentication. The extension SSP for Negotiate, Negoexts, which is treated as an authentication protocol by Windows, supports Microsoft SSPs including PKU2U. You can also develop or add other SSPs.

When computers are configured to accept authentication requests by using online IDs, Negoexts.dll calls the PKU2U SSP on the computer that is used to log on. The PKU2U SSP obtains a local certificate and exchanges the policy between the peer computers. When validated on the peer computer, the certificate within the metadata is sent to the logon peer for validation and associates the user's certificate to a security token and the logon process completes.

For more information about developing SSPs, see Custom Security Packages in the MSDN Library.

For more information about the Negotiate extensions (Negoexts), see Introducing Extensions to the Negotiate Authentication Package.

Wednesday, August 14, 2013 2:10 PM
  • Hello,

I have the same problem. But I edited the registry as indicated and I still cannot connect. I am trying to connect from a Windows 8 machine to a Windows 7 enterprise.

Any ideas?

Thanks

• Proposed as answer by Cris Perez Monday, August 19, 2013 9:53 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Cris Perez Monday, August 19, 2013 9:53 AM
    Sunday, August 18, 2013 11:04 PM
  • Hey I figured it out!

There is actually another key missing on the same security package: msoidssp.

This is the list that works for me:

kerberos
    msv1_0
    schannel
    wdigest
    tspkg
    pku2u
    msoidssp

Thank you guys for pointing in the right direction! I had no clue how to fix this. I have never edited the registry before. But between this thread here, and a youtube video about how to edit the registry I had almost all I needed. When my first editing didn't work, I just looked at the registry of the other computer I have which doesn't have this problem and I saw this other key that I didn't had in my Lenovo.

• Proposed as answer by Cris Perez Monday, August 19, 2013 9:59 AM
    Monday, August 19, 2013 9:59 AM
  • I do not see "security packages key" on windows 8.  Is there another place to look?
    Monday, July 28, 2014 7:06 PM