A few months ago, a client of mine received a virus. As a result of the virus, I believe, her Outlook doesn't work properly. For example and this is actually the only thing that's wrong, when she updates her address book, it gives the error message: 0x80070424) ‘Unknown Error 0x80070424’
Now, I've tried updating the address book on a few other user's computers, and it worked just fine, so it's her computer.
Here is a list of things I have tried:
1.) Uninstalled Outlook and reinstalled it
2.) Deleted the profile and recreated it; I also put her local/microsoft/outlook files in a temp folder as I did this.
3.) Ran the Windows Update Troubleshooter
4.) Tried running Windows Fix It, but it said everything was fine.
5.) Tried restarting Windows Services (Background Intelligent Transfer Services), but this service was not in the list.
6.) Ran the Windows Firewall Fix it, but again, nothing was wrong.
7.) Reran Malwawre Bytes and TDSSKILLER, nothing came back.
8.) Checked the host file and all it says is 127.0.0.1
Am I missing anything or can you guys please help me? I forgot to mention that I'm running Outlook 2010 and I'm at a University.
Had the same problem and found the solution on another forum.
Basically, it generates the missing Windows Services (Background Intelligent Transfer Services) - you just have to create a .REG file and merge it (the below message gives your the source code and explains how to proceed).
It worked on my computer.
As I can't put a link in my message, please find below the original post from Noel D Paton - thanks to him!
Let's get a little wayalong to the solution.
There is a configuration error with your BITS service.
Please COPY all the lines between the ++++++++ (but not the ++) and paste into a Notepad window.
Save the file as BITS.REG to your desktop.
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
Once saved, close Notepad.
right-click on the BITS.REG file you just saved, and select Merge from the options list.
You'll get a couple of warnings - accept them.
You should get a 'Success' message.
[Wild Charles' note: as for me, I didn't have to run the final steps below... the missing service had been launched and everything was working properly after the reboot.]
now open an Elevated Command Prompt Window and COPY AND PASTE the following commands
NET START BITS
SC QC BITS
SC QUERYEX BITS