none
Storage Spaces RRS feed

• Question

• I was running an 8 disk Storage Spaces array on Windows Server 2016 Essentials.

I upgraded to Windows Server 2019 Essentials.  I discovered that Windows Server 2019 Essentials doesn't support Storage Spaces.  Not nice Microsoft particularly  no where is it say that this feature has been deleted from the 2019 version.

I need the data on the drives so I reinstalled Windows Server 2016.  The Storage Spaces module is operating and all the disk show up and are operating correctly with a green check mark.

BUT there is no drive associated with the Storage Spaces array and therefore I can't access the data through the directory.

How do I assign a drive to Storage Spaces without destroying my data??

Wednesday, October 16, 2019 3:32 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Based on your description, your question is mainly about Storage service, I moved your case to relate forum, and storage expert may provide you more information.

Thank you for your understanding. 

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, October 17, 2019 6:56 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your question.

I'm a little confused about this information "there is no drive associated with the Storage Spaces array and therefore I can't access the data through the directory."

Would you mind please providing a detailed information, or with a screenshot for your current condition?

Meanwhile, please check the virtual disk's status under your storage space by GUI or powershell. 

Get-VirtualDisk

Troubleshoot Storage Spaces Direct health and operational states

Get-VirtualDisk | Select-Object FriendlyName,HealthStatus, OperationalStatus, DetachedReason

Hope this helps. If you have any question or concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,

Michael

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

• Marked as answer by RReed43 Friday, October 18, 2019 4:38 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by RReed43 Friday, October 18, 2019 4:41 AM
    Friday, October 18, 2019 2:26 AM
  • I can't reply with images until my account has been verified.

I will try to be clearer on the issues as well answer the questions regarding test results.

1.  When I run Manage Storage Spaces the pool shows my array, but operating in "read only".  It was open read/write when operating previously.  When I open the Physical Drives tab, all 8 disks are present and operating with a green check mark.

2.  When I open Windows Explorer it doesn't show a volume associated with the Storage Spaces array.

3.  When I run get-virtualdisk  it responds with

Friendly Name        ResiliencySettingName   OperationalStatus HealthStatus       IsManualAttach        Size

Storage space         Mirror                           Detached            Unknown              True                        6.75 TB

4.  When I ran the command you requested the same information was provided in the same columns, with DetachedReason being report as unknown.

That is my situation.

I appreciate any help you can give me.

Dick Reed

Friday, October 18, 2019 5:47 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

You could try to run the cmdlets “repair-virtualdisk” to see if it works.

Meanwhile based on the research, the Detached OperationalStatus can occur if the dirty region tracking (DRT) log is full. Storage Spaces uses dirty region tracking (DRT) for mirrored spaces to make sure that when a power failure occurs, any in-flight updates to metadata are logged to make sure that the storage space can redo or undo operations to bring the storage space back into a flexible and consistent state when power is restored and the system comes back up. If the DRT log is full, the virtual disk can't be brought online until the DRT metadata is synchronized and flushed. This process requires running a full scan, which can take several hours to finish.

A preventive fix is included in the October 18, 2018, cumulative update for Windows Server 2016 (KB4462928) to reduce the chances of filling the dirty region tracking (DRT) log, reduce the time that is required to run the data integrity scan and add performance counters to monitor progress. So we recommend that you use Storage Maintenance Mode to install the October 18, 2018, cumulative update for Windows Server 2016 (KB4462928) or a later version.

https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB4462928

If the system is already experiencing this condition, you will need to use the resolution steps to clear the DRT.

Hope above information can help you.

Highly appreciate your effort and time. If you have any question or concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,

Michael

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, October 18, 2019 7:15 AM
  • Thank you for your continued help.

I tried repair-virtualdisk and received the following error message.

Repair-VirtualDisk : Access denied
    Activity ID: {a2982783-03a0-4057-9005-ae6be8311da7}
    At line:1 char:1
    + Repair-VirtualDisk -FriendlyName "Storage space"
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : PermissionDenied: (StorageWMI:ROOT/Microsoft/...SFT_VirtualDisk) [Repair-Virtu
       alDisk], CimException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : StorageWMI 40001,Repair-VirtualDisk

I have always kept the server promptly updated, so this update would have been in place well before I had trouble.

Help greatly appreciated!

Friday, October 18, 2019 2:52 PM