none
Chinese characters in recycle bin RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I have a odd thing in my SharePoint Server 2010 Standard edition (EN) installation. On only one site and list I have the issue that the Name of the deleted item is shown in Chinese characters. But even more strange is that this is not happening for all items that are deleted from that list. The upper 5 items in attached screenshot are all deleted from the same list and as you can see only 4 items are in Chinese characters and one item is shown as it should be.

The 4 items have one thing in common which the 5th item hasn't, namely that I've run self created workflows (in SPD 2010, only standard stuff) on them. The only thing the workflows do is check if specific conditions are true and send a email.

Has anyone experienced this problem before? Or at least has a idea what the problem could be? Although it seems like a minor issue, it's quite annoying when trying to restore a item.

Many thanks in advance for any help!

All the best,
    Quincy Thomas

Capture

Tuesday, February 12, 2013 9:39 AM

Answers

• Then I guess your problem needs to be check with Microsoft , there are similar posts  like this one and havent been solved yet, Since I am working with Sharepoint  Enterprise Features, I don't have this problem .

So it happens only with that site? Maybe try to move your site  to another site collection and see how it goes. 

Cheers.

IT Manager @ Intradesystem

• Marked as answer by Quincy Thomas Tuesday, April 23, 2013 8:22 AM
    Tuesday, February 26, 2013 4:55 PM

All replies

• Have you updated to the latest SP AND CU for Sharepoint Server 2010? maybe installing the latest updates could fix this odd problem of yours. Cheers.

Cesar OC. IT Manager @ Intradesystem www.intradesystem.com

• Proposed as answer by Cesar OC Tuesday, February 26, 2013 4:07 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Quincy Thomas Tuesday, February 26, 2013 4:12 PM
    Friday, February 22, 2013 1:22 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for the response!

Till last month we were up-to-date, but the February 2013 Cumulative Update just released. Installed the update yesterday, but the problem persists. Not only for items that were already deleted, but also for items that I've deleted after the update.

It's not we can't live with this problem, but I would like to understand why the problem occurs and how to solve it.

All the best,
    Quincy

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 11:14 AM
  • Then I guess your problem needs to be check with Microsoft , there are similar posts  like this one and havent been solved yet, Since I am working with Sharepoint  Enterprise Features, I don't have this problem .

So it happens only with that site? Maybe try to move your site  to another site collection and see how it goes. 

Cheers.

IT Manager @ Intradesystem

• Marked as answer by Quincy Thomas Tuesday, April 23, 2013 8:22 AM
    Tuesday, February 26, 2013 4:55 PM
  • So we've upgraded to SharePoint 2013 and the problem isn't occurring anymore. Don't what caused it and aren't able to reproduce it again. But for me it is resolved.

Thanks for the help though. I really appreciate if someone takes the time to help!

Tuesday, April 23, 2013 8:21 AM
  • What happens here is when the list item gets deleted the Recyclebin is looking for nvarchar1 values in the content database to display some information about it. However, when there is no data (NULL) in that column for this row entry we’ll see these artifacts as noted on the screen shot since the code logic is trying to populate the data with something other than NULL.

On a properly working list the Internal Field name on custom lists for nvarchar1 should be “Title”.  If this nvarchar mapping got changed somehow we get into this state.   “Title” gets mapped to some other nvarchar value and a different field takes ownership of the nvarchar1 column mapping.

You can see which field owns the nvarchar1 with this script and along with where "Title" now resides along with its new name.  Keep in that system level lists nvarchar1 can be mapped to something other than "Title".

$web = get-spweb <URL>

$list =$web.lists["<List Name>"]

$fields = $list.Fields

foreach($field in $fields)

{

[xml]$test = $field.SchemaXmlWithResourceTokens

#owner of nvarchar1

if($test.field.colname -eq "nvarchar1")

{

"Owner of Nvarchar1: " +

$field.title + " :"+ $test.field.colname                         

}

#owner of the Title column and its nvarchar

if($field.InternalName -eq "Title")

{

"Owner of Internal Title field: " +

$field.Title +": " + $test.field.colname

}  

}

We do have to note, that even in this state the data that was deleted and nondeleted items in the list is still intact due to Field to Nvarchar mappings of the list schema. It’s just how it is presented on the Recyclebin screen that makes it appear to be broken.

Now the question comes if this list is in this state now how do we correct it?  The easiest would be to export the list to Excel and delete the list.  The recreate the list with the proper columns and import the data back.

Export/Import of a list into a new location will NOT correct this as the field to nvarchar mapping data is stored in the export manifest.  So you would have to delete the list and recreate it.

If the Export to Excel is not possible, you should open up a ticket with us and work with a Support Engineer to see if they can find a suitable workaround.

The last question that would most likely be brought up, how did we get into this state?  That exact steps to get into this is unknown.  However, the pattern seen is that Title is no longer mapped to nvarchar1 and Title is no longer named Title on that list.

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Regards, Savoeurn Va Microsoft Online Community Support

Monday, July 30, 2018 8:38 PM