none
microsoft office cannot verify the license for this product

Question

• I have the office professorial 2013 installed on a windows server 2012 RDS.
    I can open all the office programs and work with it with out any problem.
    If I try to export some data from SAP Business One to Excel I got the following message:
    "Microsoft office cannot verify the license for this product. You should repair the Office program by using Control Panel"
    If I have an instance of the excel opened before I export the data, I got no error. It only happens if I do not have the excel open at the moment I export the data.
    I already tried to Repair, enter the product key again, uninstall using the program O15CTRRemove.diagcab and install again. I have no idea what else I can do.
    Thursday, December 27, 2012 12:56 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Have you installed Office 2010, too?

Based on my research, you see this message when Office Professorial 2013 was installed after an Office 2010 product and the Office 2010 product was activated by telephone.

Workaround    Activate the Office 2010 product online by doing the following:

1. Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14.

If you have the 64-bit version of Office, the path is C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14

1. Make sure you are connected to the Internet and run the following command to activate the product online:

cscript ospp.vbs /act

Jaynet Zhang
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, December 28, 2012 5:55 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Have you installed Office 2010, too?

Based on my research, you see this message when Office Professorial 2013 was installed after an Office 2010 product and the Office 2010 product was activated by telephone.

Workaround    Activate the Office 2010 product online by doing the following:

1. Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14.

If you have the 64-bit version of Office, the path is C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14

1. Make sure you are connected to the Internet and run the following command to activate the product online:

cscript ospp.vbs /act

Jaynet Zhang
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, December 28, 2012 5:55 AM
  • Hello,

I have the same problem.   I have standard 2013 installed and activated yet when we export to Excel we too get "Microsoft office cannot verify the license for this product. You should repair the Office program by using Control Panel".   I use Windows 8 (64bit) and office 2013 H/B without a glitch.  had anyone resolved this issue?  thanks

Saturday, June 01, 2013 12:07 AM
  • I am also facing the same issue. In my case I get this error when I open an excel file from some other application. For example if I download an excel file from a website and opens it from the browser download page I get this error. This error does not occur if I directly open the file from the machine location.

Monday, June 03, 2013 1:16 AM
  • Are these by any chance XLS files rather than XLSX files, or maybe streaming CSV files? What I am wondering is whether they would prompt Excel to open them in compatibility mode.

Thanks,

Anita Oakley

Tuesday, June 25, 2013 8:40 PM
  • Same here: new Win8 64bit PC, 1st time Office install: Office 2013 32bit.

Everything works fine, until I try to open an office document from Lotus Notes. Notes asks me if I want to open this file, I accept, the file opens and I get the above mentioned error.

Since it has nothing to do with the licence (no earlier office installations, no problems with opening files via save/double click) my guess is, that it has to do with the location the files are in when trying to open the corresponding application ...

I'll investigate further ;-)

Friday, July 12, 2013 8:34 AM
  • OK, it's not the location of the files - even though it's highly annoying, that you can not ad a path to "secure locations" in an office program, that includes "temp" or "tmp"

Apparently the problem lies in what applications are allowed to start the Office program:
    If you download a word doc with Firefox and choose to open it from within Firebox it works. On further investigation it looks like Firefox is asking windows explorer to open the file with the specified program.

If you do the same with Chrome (or SRIron) you will get the error. here is an exception though: if you have a Word instance open, without an open file!, Chrome can use that instance for the downloaded file - hence no error.

So in conclusion: if an application is trying directly to open a new Office instance you will get the error, if the application can find and use an "empty" Office instance, or if the application uses windows explorer to open the file, it works fine.

Unfortunately this knowledge doesn't help me, since I can not "empower" Notes (or SRIron) to start an Office instance (yes, I tried starting as Admin ;-) )

OK, forget that last part!

Solution:

I just found out, what the faulty applications had in common: from the start the were installed in "Windows 7 compatibility mode" and as such they apparently can / may not start Office instances (no matter if the are run as admin. or not). If I remove the  "Windows 7 compatibility mode" tag, the work fine! :-)

I hope this will help others with this problem as well :-)

Friday, July 12, 2013 10:06 AM
  • This tips will surely help you

Open command Navigate to

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14

cscript ospp.vbs /act

Detailed instruction is here check this - http://tech4computers.blogspot.in/2013/11/Fix-Cannot-Verify-the-License-For-This-Product.html

Thursday, November 14, 2013 7:57 PM
  • I solved the "microsoft office cannot verify the license for this product. You should repair the office program by using control panel" error message that I was getting. My intention was to install a non Click-To-Run version of office for use with Office365. 

cd "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office15" 
     #--or--#
    cd "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office15" 

cscript ospp.vbs /dstatus
    #Determine which key is the grace key, and make note of its "Last 5 characters of installed product key" for the next step#

cscript ospp.vbs /unpkey:#####
    cscript ospp.vbs /act

Wednesday, October 29, 2014 8:43 PM