none
Lync Contact Card Semi Populating

Question

• We have some users who's contact card is not populating correctly. We are using a 5 digit extension for everyone's phone number in AD. It seems to sporadically populate for some users' but not others. I have tried using ABSconfig in the lync res kit, but that didn't solve the issue. It just seems strange the 5 digit format would populate correctly for some users and others there is no info. Any suggestions?  
    Monday, November 28, 2011 4:56 PM

All replies

• I guess the problematic numbers are not in the correct format (i.e. not starting with a plus +)

You need to normalize your phone numbers to include in the Address Book.

Jeff created a really great document with samples and screenshots that you can start with.

Turgay

Monday, November 28, 2011 9:54 PM
  • Hi airsoft,

By default, Lync will show E.164-formatted phone numbers that are in Active Directory. If you have a 5 digit extension in the Telephone Number field in Active Directory then you will need to configure the address book service to normalize the numbers.

In addition, please also refer to this post. Hope helps.

Tuesday, November 29, 2011 8:43 AM
  • Jeff created a really great document with samples and screenshots that you can start with.

Turgay

Jeff's blog on the subject is quite helpful.  But you will need to decide how you want the number to display in the Lync client.  It may be helpful to have the display show how you can call the person from inside the company (using just and extension) and from outside the company as well.

Therefore, in the Lync client it could be helpful to have the display look like "(480) 555-2101 X2101" for a person who has a Direct Inward Dialing (DID) from the PSTN of "480-555-2101" and an internal extension of "2101"

Now if the person doesn't have a DID from the PSTN and must be reached through a business main line first and then at thier extension.  If the main business number is say "480-555-2000" and the users internal only extension is say "5001" then you could have their work number in Lync display as "(480) 555-2000 X5001".

This makes it very easy for anyone to figure out how to dial the person internally and externally.

Now to make this happen you will need a few rules enterend into the "Company_Phone_Number_Normalization_Rules.txt" mentioned in Jeff's blog, depending on how you want the digits entered into the AD telephone field.

Again it would be helpful to enter it into the AD field so that people can figure out how to dial the person internally and externally.  If you want to enter it into AD as "(480) 555-2101 X2101" or "(480) 555-2000 X5001" then you will need the following rule:

#
    # (ddd) ddd-dddd xdddd
    #

(\d{10})x(\d{4})
    +1$1;ext=$2

If you want to enter an extention only in the field you will need something like:

#
    # 21dd Extentsions
    #

21(\d{2})
    +148055521$1;ext=21$1

#
    # 50dd Extentsions
    #

50(\d{2})
    +14805552000;ext=50$1

Hope this helps a little...

-Greg

Thursday, December 1, 2011 9:04 PM
  • I have tried the normalization of the phone numbers with no luck. The majority of the users phone number is still blank. I am now thinking it is a mapping issue for the AD field that I want displayed because all of the data is indeed in the SQL database properly. I have come across several articles about the ABSconfig tool being broken and updates available to fix this issue, which is my next step. Unfortunately I won't be able to implement this in production to test until after the holidays. I will post back then to see if it has solved the issue. The two articles that I am referring to are:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2621854

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2621857

Friday, December 2, 2011 7:22 PM
  • Airsoft2525-

I am having this exact same issue with 4 digit extensions.  Some populate according to the rule, some are blank, some actually show the full +E.164 number. I can find no rhyme or reason to it and have had a couple other users in the live environment, delete both AB files and log back into Lync and show the same issues, but with different people. 

User A - shows contact b w/ the correct extension, contact C with no extension and contact D with the full +E.164 number.

User B - Shows contact A w/ no extension, contact C with the correct extension and contact D with the full +E.164 number.

I have made changes in the Company_Phone_Number_normalization_rules.txt and had everyone log out, delete the AB files, restart Lync and show random changes in the first Scenario.

I thought I should touch base on this article, since I was also able to install the updates that you listed  in a production environment and it didn't help the issue.  I am also at a loss with this.

Tuesday, December 20, 2011 2:05 PM
  • Just to update people on how I was able to get this to work correctly and show all numbers according to the normalization rules.

I added a separate csclientpolicy that set addressbookavailability to WebSearchOnly.  After I set this, everyone shows correctly to everyone that is on that policy.

I am not sure what kind of beating this gives the server though, so at the moment I have only set two of our smaller groups this way.  There must be some type of disconnect when the downloaded address book has to use the normalization rules.  Until Microsoft can patch this, I was able to set it this way.

• Edited by James1321 Tuesday, January 3, 2012 3:41 PM
    • Proposed as answer by James1321 Tuesday, January 3, 2012 3:42 PM
    Tuesday, January 3, 2012 3:41 PM
  • Dear collegues

For instance, i have a user with telephoneNumber = +7 909 719 0987 X0987

Lync Address Book Service translates it to tel:+79097190987;ext=0987

During some time, i can see this good picture in Lync client:

But after this contact logged in to Lync, its work phone changed to "+79097190987". It's displayed now without spaces (difficult to read) and without extension (impossible to reach from non-lync if it's not DID).

Does anybody know how to fix it?

MCITP: EA, SA, EMA, LSA, VA; MCSA

Monday, March 12, 2012 6:43 PM
  • More info about this behaviour in my blog post (in Russian):

http://argon.pro/blog/2012/03/lync-tel-display/

MCITP: EA, SA, EMA, LSA, VA; MCSA

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 8:46 AM